968 Forum 1992-1995

Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wes,

What did you go for in your rear setup ? Did you reindex the torsion bar (if so, how much did you lowered the car), or played with those three nuts on the spring plate ?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been through tons of suspensions. Search my name and you will see my reviews. I removed my torsion bars, made adjusting much easier. You have to have a true coilover in the rear. I have also reindexed and adjusted torsion bar cars; also when I added torsion bars back into my car. I don't know much about your setup to be advising. When you bring your car to Petes he will set you up!

Wes
Old 03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
heavyrunner
Cruisin'

Are these the clear lights you're looking for? This is an item number for ad on e-bay 130093175547
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heavyrunner
Are these the clear lights you're looking for? This is an item number for ad on e-bay 130093175547
I appreciate your help, but no, those are not what i'm looking for. The 968 doesn't have side markers. I'm looking for clear turn signal cover/lens which is located on the bumper.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Does anyone know how much transmission fluid a 968 takes ? I'm about to do a flush tomorrow and i kinda need to know. search tool didn't come up with anything. thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cervi
Does anyone know how much transmission fluid a 968 takes ? I'm about to do a flush tomorrow and i kinda need to know. search tool didn't come up with anything. thanks
3.5 liters. The back of the owners manual has a lot of useful info like this in it. I would personally recommend Redline, our 6spd uses 75w-90 that conforms to API GL5.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Thanks stolarzj
Old 04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Ok, so to keep you updated, the car is almost done, mechanically speaking. The only thing it needs is a power steering hose and an oil change. So far i've done : new koni adjustable all around, front adjustable lowering springs (still have the stock suspension), new Zimmerman rotors all around with organic brake pads, new front bearings, new front tires, new valve cover gasket, strut tower brace, new headlight on passenger side with 80/100W lightbulbs for both, and also coming on wednesday new Alpine stereo unit and Viper alarm with pager. So far close to 3k in repairs and upgrades, and i only had the car for 10 days. Also next week the door will get repaired.
The sad part is i don't know if i'm going to keep the car. It's just not my style. I thought it is...but it's not. I miss my m3. I'll probably sale it after it's done, or trade it for a bmw. Just putting it out there, if anyone is interested in buying it, just send me a pm. I'm not going to advertise it though...not yet anyway. Have receipts from back when the car was new, including the window sticker.
Forgot to say that it has the B&B stainless exhaust. As far as engine mods...there are none.

Last edited by Cervi; 04-01-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Cervi,

I went through the same withdrawal (sp?). I missed the inline 6 sound, feel, etc... I will tell you though that the more you drive the 968 the more you will enjoy it. You should purchase a chip, do the airbox mods, and open it up with an exhaust. Its an entirely different car. I just sold my 968 last week, and I miss it dearly already (started shopping for a new one today!). You need to get it out on an open highway, kick it up to about 135-150 and then understand what sets it miles ahead of the M3. I've been down the road of both, and I can tell you the 968 is 1000X more enjoyable in the end. If it helps any, I can send you the entire 968 workshop manual so you can work on it a little easier, and make the wallet hurt less.

Wes
Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Wes,

I highly appreciate your thoughts.
You said you had bmws before, so you know where i'm coming from. I had 3 so far. There are things i like about 968, and things i don't. I like the fact that it handles very well, it simply sticks to the road at high speeds (only took it up to 120 so far) and in corners, but i just can't get over the fact that the engine is louder and less smooth compared to the inline 6. The road noise coming from the back is also a minus. Gear box is less smoother. And power wise...it's noticeable. Not much, but it is.
Oh well, i'm not in a rush to sell it, maybe i'll get used to it eventually.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Cervi,

I've had an array of BMW's, and have driven NUMEROUS E36 M3's. I had an 88' M3, 92' 325is, 92' 525i, and my parents had a 2000 323i for a while. I agree that the inline 6 is a really nice engine. Super smooth, powerful, and easy to drive. The BMW overall is an easier car to drive than the 968, but the 968 is way more rewarding. The noise coming from the rear is a fact that its an open rear. Wait until you drive a 911! I found that putting in good music, or exercising the engine more often helped deal with road debry in the rear fender issue. I found the power of the 968 to be more than that of any M3 I have driven. The 96-99' M3's were altered to better torque curves, but in reality aren't much, if any faster than previous models. They were made to feel faster. The 968 doesn't have that torque that the 3.2L has, but get a chip and you will be amazed at how quick the 968 is from 4500 to 7800 rpms. Its amazing! Its a bit lothargic without a chip. Then add in a lightweight flywheel, and the car feels more like an E30 M3 with E36 M3 ergonomics. You won't beat the build quality of the 968 with ANY BMW. I also love the fact that everything is serviceable on the 968. I can rebuild the transmission, engine, diff, seats, everything all from the factory workshop manual.

I must concur that driving an E36 M3 is an easy, dauntless, and enjoyable task. I was in between an Estoril 98' M3 and the 968 I bought. The part that sold me was that I have never seen another 968 on the road. I see a dozen E36 M3's every day, but I have never seen another 968 on the road. I love the rarity factory, as well as the shock factor from people that have never seen a 968 before! Eitherway, both cars are great!

Wes
Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Totally agree with you Wes about the rarity factor.

By the way, I've just finished installing a new audio unit in the 968. It just came out today at best buy, it's a sony xplod WITH BUILT-IN bluetooth !! I paired it with my phone and works like a charm and it looks pretty good in the car because its black like the rest of the dash, not too futuristic, no extra fancy displays...just plain, simple and amazingly cheap. Hmmm...i should take a picture...

Quick Reply: Got my first 968 - IT"S CRASHED !