968 Forum 1992-1995

Best Porsche Ever Made: 968 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Best Porsche Ever Made: 968 Turbo?

Except for a few modern gizmos....and maybe the Carrera GT, I think the ultimate Porsche would be the 968 built out in the turbo form. It's a shame a reasonably priced aftermarket turbo kit's not available for this great car. What a car that would be!

Anyone know much about performance specs on the orginal few 968 turbos that were made by Porsche? Must have been impressive.

Harvey
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a page at rsbarn.com about it, Pete has one of the originals, however I've never seen it. I have seen Raj Datta's turbo, which is by far the nicest 968 I've ever seen, ridden in, or had the priveledge of driving. The acceleration and response is unbelievable, as is the handling. I hope Raj joins in to give a few specifics, his is built from almost all Turbo S parts, and his wheels are just awesome.

One day I hope to also turbocharge my car, but will go the 16 valve route, instead of the 8v like the factory did. How's the car sale going, Harvey?

Steve
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, Harm Lagaay called the 968 the most beautiful Porsche he ever designed. He said it was just too expensive to build and the introduction of the much cheaper Boxster killed the car. Can't remember the issue of Pano the interview was in.

Even in non turbo form, I occasionally meet up with a Firehawk 968 (he's a rennlist member as well) on track.....amazing handling car.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:31 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Harvey, the answer is subjective because if we ask a 911 guy, they would say it would be a 911 turbo. There is tons of information on the web regarding these cars. Best bet is to do a search on google and see what pops up. Konstantin also has tons of information on his website.
Wes or "whakies" is developing a low cost turbo application which might be close to completion. Maybe he will post here. If I had to do it without wanting a replica, I would opt for a 16 valve head as well. Hopefully Steve will take the plunge soon so I can get my fix .
Raj
Old 11-26-2006, 02:05 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hughett,

You may want to hold on to your car a tad longer. I promise when everything is done, you will get all the feel of a 928 for a fraction of the ownership cost. On top of that, we all know the 968 looks far superior to the 928 . I was put on hold for development this month due to an overwhelming array of problems. Still hoping to have something solid by Christmas. Entry price will be below $6000, with options up to about $8000.

Wes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, Harm Lagaay called the 968 the most beautiful Porsche he ever designed. He said it was just too expensive to build and the introduction of the much cheaper Boxster killed the car. Can't remember the issue of Pano the interview was in.

Even in non turbo form, I occasionally meet up with a Firehawk 968 (he's a rennlist member as well) on track.....amazing handling car.
I don't think the Boxster killed the 968 turbo, which was never built in quantity anyway. But, the Boxster sure did replace the 4-cylinder front engined cars as Porsche's "entry level" car. Too bad. One favorite (sarcastic) lament of the water-cooled affecionados over the demise of the 968 is: "They (meaning Porsche) finally got it right so, of course, they stopped building them".

My understanding is that the 968 Firehawk cars came to this country as (more-or-less) stock cars and were built-up, (cages installed, etc.), at a few shops here for the Firehawk race series which, by the time the 968's were being manufactured, was just about defunct anyway. I guess that's why we rarely see these "factory" 968 racecars. I believe the "club sport" version of the 968 was raced in a series in the UK.

I would like to learn more about the 968 as a race car.

And, I do agree that the 968 is one of the prettiest production Porsches. To me, the 968 cab (with top up) is just a beautiful car.

Ciao.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whakiewes
Hughett,

You may want to hold on to your car a tad longer. I promise when everything is done, you will get all the feel of a 928 for a fraction of the ownership cost. On top of that, we all know the 968 looks far superior to the 928 . I was put on hold for development this month due to an overwhelming array of problems. Still hoping to have something solid by Christmas. Entry price will be below $6000, with options up to about $8000.

Wes
Thanks,Wes. That's encouraging. I have an offer in on a newer 928 but won't know for a couple of days. If I get it and it turns out as nice as the 928 I have (only newer w/more HP and a few extras like bigger brakes, etc), I may just sell my '85S 928 and keep the 968 for a turbo fix. It certainly would be a great candidate as it's in better shape than most I've seen.

Question: When the 928s have been retrofitted for superchargers, their drive train seems to hold up well to the much ehanced HP. Any guesses on how well the stock drivetrain on the 968 will hold up w/a turbo? I don't think that I have LSD, unless the PO slipped it in. Could be bad on tires/traction.

Harvey
Old 11-26-2006, 11:12 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Harvey, the answer is subjective because if we ask a 911 guy, they would say it would be a 911 turbo. There is tons of information on the web regarding these cars. Best bet is to do a search on google and see what pops up. Konstantin also has tons of information on his website.
Wes or "whakies" is developing a low cost turbo application which might be close to completion. Maybe he will post here. If I had to do it without wanting a replica, I would opt for a 16 valve head as well. Hopefully Steve will take the plunge soon so I can get my fix .
Raj
Raj,

With all due respect the 911 guys (my son in law has one), I'm not a rear engine guy, alhough the newer reditions are tempting. I think I rather stick with the front engined/rear wheel drive cars that I cut my teeth on. It's hard to teach this old dog to keep ahead of his rear end.

Harvey
Old 11-26-2006, 11:24 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Harvey,

928's are very nice, and I love the way they drive. The 968 is completely different, but much more of my style. I will hopefully one day own a 928 GT or GTS, but right now I can't afford either nor does it fit my agenda .

As to the power - A limited slip is a must. Anything much above stock power and you will struggle with traction leaving turns. I am a very relaxed driver on the track, so it wasn't much of a problem with me. When I let a friend drive it though, I could see how easy it breaks loose with my mere 211rwhp. With that said, I already offer a cost alternative LSD option for the 968 G50 based transmission. It will be a bolt in/bolt out type of deal, no serious work other than wrenching. They are ready to ship today. If and when the turbo setup is completed and in production, I will offer the LSD as an option with a pretty good discount. From what I have seen there are less 968s with LSD then without, so I figure it can be a win-win situation. The transmission is built as tough as anything Porsche has ever offered, and anything that you or I are going to throw at it. Most people don't drag race their Porsches so there isn't nearly as much clutch drop abuse as in other cars. I see no issues other than normal wear and tear from miles with the added torque.

Summary - LSD's are available and will be needed. It will break loose with 300wtq, let alone more. I will offer these, and already do. The transmission is based on the Porsche G50 as used in 911's from 87 up to today. They have been tested in some cars upwards or 700-1000hp, so I see no issues. There are 951 race cars on 6-speeds with 400tq and no problems.

Wes
Old 11-26-2006, 11:34 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wes,
Let's say that I chose to go with the LSD conversion you sell based on the Porsche G50...what all would need to be changed out? Just some gears? Whole trans? Trans and troque tube? Mounts?

Harvey
Old 11-26-2006, 11:53 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Harvey,

No man...way way way less work. The transmission in the 968 is a Porsche G50 variant. What I was saying was that the LSD that I offer is a direct bolt in based on the G50. I have a full write up and instructions to install it, both with the transmission in and with the transmission out. With the tranny in, its a little harder and you would probably need some small hands. Its about as simple (albeit this is a run down) remove axles, removing housing covers, remove diff, reinstall new diff, reinstalling housing covers, reinstall axles, change tranny fluid, drive. I mean there is more, but thats about as brief as it is. Its worth the money even if you don't get my part to get a LSD. I wasn't an advocate until I had one. So much more controllable.

Wes
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

See Harvey, hang in there!! There is hope.
Wes, care to share with some of us how you got 211rwhp in your 968.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Raj,

Airbox, alterered RacerX chip, no cat, pretty much straight through cat back, and maitainence? It was a 58 degree day if that changes much? Dynojet 248C. I will post it up if I get around time to scanning it. I can't remember my torque, but it was decently high. That was my peak. Most were around 202-205rwhp.

Wes
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

If one has a car that's worthy of keeping (like my 968) and driving the expenditure out of it, it would seem to make sense to put about $12K into adding LSD...and turbo....if that would ever be possible for that amount of money...me doing most of the wrenching, of course. I don't mind wrenching except where expensive specialized tools are required that I don't own. E.g., I've changed out ring/pinions in Chevies...but I'm thinking the G50 must be much more complicated. I do know that the gear lash or clearance has to be just right otherwise it can be an expensive mistake.

As Raj suggests, using the 16 valve head would be great...if it's optimal for the turbo application. Sounds like a few people have done this w/no problem.

Harvey
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
See Harvey, hang in there!! There is hope.
Wes, care to share with some of us how you got 211rwhp in your 968.
Thanks.
Raj
Hi Raj,

With the airbox mod and Pete's header and an exhaust, I got 209 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Also had a 210 on a dynopak. No chip, nothing touched internally (not allowed for PCA club racing F stock). Intake and exhaust are "free", so the airbox and header/exhaust are okay to modify.

Ciao.

Quick Reply: Best Porsche Ever Made: 968 Turbo?