Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Are you using a ProMAX Chip in your 968?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you using a ProMAX Chip in your 968?

Hi All,

Are you using a ProMAX Chip for your 968? We are looking for feedback from owners! Now that the range of ProMAX Performance Chips for 968 have been available for almost 2 years for both USA and ROW cars, we would like to hear your thoughts. Please post your comments here along with any suggestions for improvements we could make. Thanks!

If you are still running standard software or have a chip solution that may not have delivered for your car - let me remind you that the ProMAX Chip for 968 models is still available at the incredibly special price of just $145.00 USD! (to USA/Can and all orders paying in US Dollars). To order, just follow the link: ProMAX Motorsport 968 Chip Offer

The ProMAX Performance for 968 is available in 4 versions:
7100A - for USA with 7100rpm limit +15bhp (average)
7700AT - track orientated version with 7700rpm limit and +17bhp (average)
7100R - for ROW with 7100rpm limit +15bhp (average)
7700RT - track orientated version with 7700rpm limit and +17bhp (average)
NOTE: power gains will vary from car to car. Above figures represent an average improvement in peak horsepower achieved from users own dyno tests. Also tested by Nine magazine in 09/04 and 07/05. You can see testimonials here .Other benefits:

* Better throttle response
* Much smoother drive - you will feel the difference
* Increased torque spread
* Higher rev limit
* Easy DIY fitment
* Full and clear fitting instructions provided
* Fits in less than 40 mins
* 14 day money back warranty

Power gains may be higher or lower depending on engine condition and fuel grade. 93MON/RON recommended. 91MON/RON OK. 97RON Europe.
The price is $145.00 USD and includes worldwide shipping. Delivery is 3-5 days from order.

Any queries, please send an email to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com

Regards,
Andrew
ProMAX Motorsport

Last edited by promax_motorsport; 08-29-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
flash968
Banned

i don't want to start a fight, nor another discussion about what chip does what, and am not saying anything negative about the Promax chip, but there is a rather misleading bit of text here

to be accurate - the test in 9 Magazine showed nowhere near those numbers - granted you only said it was tested by the magazine, and not that the magazine indicated those numbers, but the way it is written is misleading

just to be clear, in our tests, we saw a max of 13.5 horsepower gain, at its highest point, in its best set of runs, on a well tuned car

9 Magazine does not want anybody thinking THEY SAID that the Promax chip will give you an average of 17hp - according to their multiple tests, on multiple cars, it will not get close to that, and 11 is more like the average for the US chips

the article in question is availble for free from their website - the charts are available for free on 968forums.com
Old 08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the 7100A chip in a few weeks ago in my 6sp car with 65k miles on it and have been happy with it. The installation was relatively simple and took under 1 hour. My car is otherwise stock, with the exception of a modified airbox and K&N filter.

I've done my simple modifications in stages, if you will; first the K&N (with zero noticable seat of the pants difference). Later , came the airbox mod. I would say that I "think" it felt faster after that mod and was definitely pleasantly louder.

The chip change resulted in power I could definitely feel from 0 mph on up. In driving the same way I used to, now, when I start out at a stop sign and turn (for example) I notice the limited slip work ever so slightly. It starts out smoother without the hesitation it once had and pulls stronger throughout the range. ....is it 17hp stronger or 12hp stonger???? I don't know. Take any 10 968s and they'll probably all be different. The point is, I can feel it. Its not earth shattering but it can be felt and is more than I've done so far with the K&N and airbox.

I also have a 944 turbo which blows the doors off my 968. So much so, that I had thought about selling the 968 because it pales so much in comparison to the 951...and plenty of today's merely "sporty" cars for that matter. As beautiful and balanced as the car was, it just didn't seem lively enough for today's common traffic. The chip has extended the 968's life, at least in my garage. It is now fun again and feels sportier than it did prior to the mod.

Arguments over actual hp figures aside, it works and is a relative bargin. I'm glad I bought one.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm using the RacerX chip...but I WISH I'd chosen the ProMax. More options and I don't think the RacerX has many advantages. However, my 968 is running great with the RacerX so I'm not messing with it. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with ProMax I think. But as they say, "if it ain't broke...."

Harvey
Old 08-27-2006, 01:40 PM
flash968
Banned

i'm curious - more options? please explain - do you mean because they offer more versions? that is actually useful to some people - i have a buddy here for whom the 7100 limit is perfect

options are good - that is actually one of the reasons i went with rs barn - i now have a chip specific to my mods, that is now giving me more power than any other out there, by a long shot

i love how we are finally seeing the development of stuff for this car - people today are benefitting by chips , that 3 years ago would have said they didn't work - pretty much no matter which chip you choose, you will have more fun
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm quite happy with my Promax chip, which will suffice until I finish all my mods-and then I'll have the car dyno tuned, which will outperform anyone's chip.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:03 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Perhaps peformance chips are like tires....lots of widely varying opinions, and the ones you just barely bought seem to be the best. Your opinion may change as they age. In spite of what any of you guys say...I don't think it'd possible to make a QUIET, high-performance tire...because of stiffer sidewalls, tread, etc. Chips may be a little like tires...they're all about the same but different in several ways. You can buy national and highly researched brands or your can get local brands made by Corner Joe's Tires...sometimes make regionally and somtimes made by the same company but to different tolerances and standards. Sometimes those differences may vary a lot...some brands they may not really be all that different.

I think the same probably is true of performance chips.

BTW, I have an extra Weltmeister Performance 968 Chip. They cost a lot new (Google them). Will sell for $75, including shipping. Is it different than the others? I can't tell a difference.

Harvey
Old 08-28-2006, 12:23 PM
flash968
Banned

you are very right - most people cannot tell the difference in the car - sure, you can show it on paper, but it's in the car that really matters - all of the major chips will make things better and more fun, and unless you are pushing the car to its edge, the difference is not really an issue, and certainly not worth changing all by itself
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 PM
dynatech
Instructor

I love mine,

options are good - that is actually one of the reasons i went with rs barn - i now have a chip specific to my mods, that is now giving me more power than any other out there, by a long shot

i love how we are finally seeing the development of stuff for this car - people today are benefitting by chips , that 3 years ago would have said they didn't work - pretty much no matter which chip you choose, you will have more fun
Flash, remember three or four years ago the chips that were avalible didnt work or were not worth the Approx $400.00 for some pretty sorry gains, Andrew/Promax came here to ask for feed back from his customers and do a litlle advertising at the same time, Please dont come on here and Plug your mate's company Please start you own thread to do that,
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chip isn't a consideration for a PCA legal F class car (no chipping permitted per stock class club racing rules).

Hey Damian,

Any reason why you chose H&R springs versus Eibachs or Hypercoils? Just curious, since I will be re-springing my car in the next few weeks.

Ciao.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
flash968
Banned

actually, the chips that were available then, are still available today, and the differences between them and the promax are small, so i would hesitate to say they "didn't work" - both the autothority and weltmeister were within 2-3 hp of the promax

as for "plugging" i have actually steered clear of mentioning a lot, for exactly that reason - i have no desire to derail anybody - i cited the chip i am using as an example of the benefit of "choices", just as i cited the example of the friend who chose the 7100 promax - individual needs and desires are different

the one i have is specifically designed for the mods i have, which exceed the capabilities of all of the others - it does not mean i am recommending it for anyone else's use - in fact, the chip i have currently is a custom chip, made especially for me, and is to the best of my knowledge not yet available to the public, so they couldn't buy it anyway - i can't very well plug something that is not available
Old 08-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rich, I didn't want anything too radical, and at the time the H&R's were readily available from Paragon.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I used Promax chip on my last car and was very happy with it. For the new one, I have not decided yet which route to go, NA or forced induction. Still doing the math to see where I want to be. The compromised chassis of the cabriolet really puts a cap on how far you want to push the envelope before you lose streetability.
As far as plugging people, I take anyone who benefits from promoting certain vendors or products with a grain of salt.
Regards.
Raj
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
flash968
Banned

i would too - that's why i paid for my stuff from pete
Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Well I haven't heard anything negative about this chip yet. I know that most small mods offer little/no actual performance gains (12 extra HP is not going to make a huge diff in 1/4 times). However, making a car more enjoyable/drivable is deffinately worth $150. It sounds like the PROMAX is a good choice for someone who is looking for a little more pep without spending too much time/money doing modifications.
My main question for those who have the chip is this: Are there any drawbacks such as a decrease in gas milage?
With gas prices on the rise, I would not like to put a chip in that effects milage.

If milage is not effected, I am very interested in purchasing this chip.

Quick Reply: Are you using a ProMAX Chip in your 968?