968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Possible LSD Issues. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
glencase
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Possible LSD Issues. Help!

I just bought a 1994 968 on Monday with about 120K on the clock for a really good price, it has a lot of little things wrong with it and potentially one really big which is the question I have.

On the highway when cruising in the power range doesn't really matter what gear, it happens in all gears but it is more noticeable in 5th or 6th when accelerating to pass, when you apply the accelerator quickly it seems to squat somewhat evenly in the rear (someone driving behind) but the whole car seems to push/plow left, and when you let go of the accelerator it comes back in line. The rear of the car feels like it is trying to scoot right and the left front seems to get light and wants to plow left. It feels and looks like the whole car if looking at it from above and the sun roof being the center point is trying to rotate counter clockwise.

I have not gotten completely under the car yet but I'm hoping someone has run into something similar to help me figure it out or at least give me a direction to look into.

The only thing I have noticed and just assumed it was from the previous owner burning rubber is that the right rear tire has half the amount of tread on it compared to the left rear. I'm fearing that # 5 might be the theory that makes the most sense, it has the limited slip diff (option code 220), I also drifted it through a turn and both tires broke traction seemingly even.

The vin # is WP0AA2960RS820083

Here are a few theories that I have.

1. Bad shocks/struts causing the rear to squat incorrectly (my friend could not have been able to tell if it was an even squat)

2. something loose in the suspension causing one of the rear sides to move forward or backward when torque is applied. Changing the distance between the front and rear wheels on one side and essentially causing it to steer with the rear wheels

3. suspension bushings on one side totally shot or non existent causing it to move or not evenly distribute the torque. Also changing the distance between the front and rear wheels on one side and essentially causing it to steer with the rear wheels.

4. play in a wheel bearing that could cause the wheel to change it's angle (there is no noise to suggest this) causing it to steer with the rear wheel.

5. Option code 220 so it has an LSD is it possible that the unit is malfunctioning causing more of the power/torque to be applied to the Right Rear tire causing it to squat the right rear and lift the left front causing it to plow left. Would a worn LSD cause something similar is it possible that something else is wrong in the transmission causing all the power to be applied to the right rear tire.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

Glen Case
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
blopper
Intermediate

Has this car ever been in an accident?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
glencase
Racer

Originally Posted by blopper
Has this car ever been in an accident?
Yes 2 owners ago under side looks good no real evidence of major damage, PO said it was just pass door damage but the inner fender well on pass front shows wear like the rt front tire was rubbing for a little while.

Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
flash968
Banned

i think you're on the right track with the suspension, and i would take a close look at the bushings - it may not be as bad as you think though

take a good look at the rear toe - that alone would cause this - an icorrect thrust angel will do a lot of weird things - these suspensions, both front and rear, move around quite a bit with very little provocation - that's why an annual full 4 wheel alignment, including ride height is a must
Old 02-01-2006, 05:28 PM
cooz
Pro

i would start by getting the car on a 4 wheel optical alignment rack (with someone who knows what he's doing) to make sure the frame is straight & square (thrust angle).

if the car is straight & true.....then i would suspect problems with suspension components starting with the tires/tire pressures.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with the simple stuff, and work up from there. Make sure you have the same pressure in both rear tires. Try 35 psi cold. Also make sure that both rear tires are the same size, make and model. I'm bothered by the fact that one rear tire has significantly less tread than the other. Try swapping the rear tires from side to side. If your problem reverses, then you know you need new tires.

If that all checks out and you still have the symptoms, then the next step is an alignment. An alignment would probably be a good idea anyway since you just got the car and are not sure of your current settings.

If none of the above fixes the problem, then its time to start looking at suspension components.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:28 PM
blopper
Intermediate

Yes, Jim has good advice, start with the simple. Unfortunately, worse case, cars with frame damage will tend to "crab" just like you describe. I wonder if measuring from front to rear wheels will tell you anything, ex. suspension tweaked from previous accident. It"s something you could check yourself at no cost, just a thought.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:25 PM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we can all agree that Glen's best choice would be to sell the 968 to his good friend, John, and work out a deal for his trusty '86 944, right? No reason to track down problems with the suspension.

Come on Glen wise up!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:31 PM
glencase
Racer

LOL!
I think John needs to take a class and learn how to keep the correct aspect ratio on his picture of his car. And no I don't want your car, I'd rather drive mine slow than drive yours fast.

Glen
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 AM
hotshoe911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think that Glen should thank John for the beautiful photo of his car, before criticising John's photo.
Now if only Glen could find somebody with tires and wheels to test out his car..........
Old 02-02-2006, 12:51 AM
glencase
Racer

John is great, that's what you want to hear right.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:03 AM
glencase
Racer

Thumbs up

Now for the good news/results , I did as Jim suggested

checked tire pressures low but even, I adjusted, road tested, same result

next put it up on ramps and checked for obvious damaged components, found none.

next put it up on jack stands and switched left and right rear tires, and road tested

It now pushes/plows to the right.

Now I need a set of rear tires and figure out why the right rear was worn more twice as much as the left.

4 wheel alignment and I think I'll probably be good to go.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this thread everyone.

Glen
Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 PM
glencase
Racer

Little bit more info on this issue.

I think figured out why the right rear tire was worrn twice as much as the left. It seems the previous owner had the tires replaced at which time the person that pulled all 4 wheels managed to mix up the right front and right rear rims.

So the 225 rear tire was on a 7 inch front rim and the 205 front tire was on the 8 inch rear rim.

Just got 2 rear tires and had the 205 mounted on the correct rim. Road test tomorrow on dry roads to see if everything tracks straight.

Still have to get a 4 wheel alignment anyone know of a good alignment place in the Northern Va area. That might not be to expensive.

Thanks,

Glen
Old 02-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by glencase
Little bit more info on this issue.

I think figured out why the right rear tire was worrn twice as much as the left. It seems the previous owner had the tires replaced at which time the person that pulled all 4 wheels managed to mix up the right front and right rear rims.

So the 225 rear tire was on a 7 inch front rim and the 205 front tire was on the 8 inch rear rim.

Just got 2 rear tires and had the 205 mounted on the correct rim. Road test tomorrow on dry roads to see if everything tracks straight.

Still have to get a 4 wheel alignment anyone know of a good alignment place in the Northern Va area. That might not be to expensive.

Thanks,

Glen
Just found this thread - and bellieve it or not had the exact same thing happen to me! The alignment shouldnt cost a couple hundred

Quick Reply: 968 Possible LSD Issues. Help!