Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Sunset Imports delivers again

Just got my package from Jeff at Sunset Imports, all at cost + 15%.

1 pair Euro front lenses, 1 set OEM black floor mats, and 1 OEM European Porsche Tequipment car cover (colored Porsche crest, soft lined, fits like a glove...have one for the 996TT as well). Everything looks great on the car.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:49 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I like buying from them. Jeff was great in working with me. However, the shipping fees from Germany can mount up pretty fast.

Harvey
Old 12-17-2005, 01:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I suppose it depends on the item(s) being shipped over; yours individually or part of another shipment.
Personally, I'm just happy knowing I can get the parts.

One of the front Euro lenses was in the US along with the mats; the other was in Germany, as was the car cover.
Total shipping charges were $16.68 and the difference between the 2 lenses was $1.00.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:44 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If it's part of another shipment..the wait from Sunset can be indeterminate. That is, a month after you need the part. If you've got the car torn down and need the part soon...and it's only available from Germany, you pay the quick shipping and take your lumps. They don't always tell you that there will be a wait...but the service is great and sometimes the only game in town for real Porsche parts. A couple of other Porsche shops I've dealt with do the same thing but their prices are a bit more. Automobile Atlanta told me that they had a part I needed on their shelf for quick shipping and it wasn't. Also told me the part was $65 and the bill came in at $105. I'm told they don't have a "big shelf" but that many of their parts come from a Porsche dealership across town. I don't live there so I don't know. Pelican Parts has been good too about shipping parts really quickly. They also get parts from someone else if they don't have them in stock but they tell you while you're on the phone if this is the case. I think the Sunset guys are really busy but I like dealing with them. I don't have much experience with the others. Precision, Tweeks, etc. are good but the salespeople aren't very informed about what to send you. Vertex has some good prices but their salespeople arent' the most knowledgeable either. Prices on some stuff there can be good though and they treat you nice when they ship you the wrong part. From non-Porsche companies I always ask if it's a Porsche part of some Bangladesh knock off. Bad question anymore since Bosch parts are made all over the world now.

Harvey
Old 12-20-2005, 12:55 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's true they don't stock much stuff - i just placed an order the other day, and one of the parts is coming to them from the ontario warehouse (about 50 miles from me, but 1200 from them) - even so, it was still cheaper to get it from them than the dealership right here (who would also get it from ontario)

however, still waiting for the part
Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Post car cover installed

Finally took a quick pic of the 968 Euro Tequipment car cover installed (the 996TT gets the top bunk)
BTW, the lift is a single post design, full drive on platform, the Duplex lift from Werther (been very happy with it, takes up zero additional garage space):
http://www.werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/duplex.html
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2006, 11:20 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Louis;

How do you like the 968? Have you had a chance to drive it with all the salt and sand on the roads up by you?

I noticed you have a lift in your garage. I'm shopping for one and would like to know what type you have and what are the width dimensions. I have a 3 car garage and was hoping to put it in one of the end bays but will have a struggle with any lift wider than 128". American Equipment's smallest unit is 134" wide. Height is no problem, I have almost 13 ft.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Louis;

I should have read the link you included in your message. I did call them but did notice the lift you have has a solid base preventing working on the car. The 2 post lifts they sell are a couple of inches narrower but have a cross member at the top that affects garage door opening.

Joe
Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Joe,
I drove the 968 into the trailer and out of the trailer and into the garage for the winter! I look forward to driving it in the spring.
If the 996TT is the 'garage queen', then the 968Cab is the 'garage princess'. I doubt it will ever be driven in the rain, let alone in salt/sand.....yes, I know, I need therapy.

If I come across a 2 post lift that meets your requirements, I'll send it along.
With respect to garage door opening, could you have a garage door company relocate the tracks and install a spring along the front wall of the garage? That's what I did.

I don't work on my own cars, so the full platform lift was perfect.

Have a happy and safe New Year,
Old 01-02-2006, 12:21 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Louis;

I plan to have the opener retrofitted to mount on the front wall. A couple of my neighbors have high ceiling height and the openers were mounted that way. I need the lift for storage as well to do simple maintenance, brakes, oil and other light stuff. American Equipment appears to have the best unt for the money. I just need to re-configure the garage a bit because of all the items stored in there.

HNY!

Joe
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Firehawk,

Check out the lifts at automotiveserviceequipment.com

Richard
Old 01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Joe, I have a similar setup as you. Very high ceiling and a 3 car garage. Please keep me in the loop once you get something. I would love to check it out and get one myself.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Joe,
Where will we store the new 944 Firehawk?
Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 12:21 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys, who live outside of Florida, should also call Brumos, if Sunset doesn't have it. I've had great luck getting a better price from them, right here in town, than numerous after market suppliers, after shipping costs. They have always been very competitive on 944/968 model car parts. YMMV

Quick Reply: Sunset Imports delivers again