xpost - need part no for 968 clutch tube/hose

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xpost - need part no for 968 clutch tube/hose

Hi all,

I'm looking for the part number for the tube/hose that comes directly off the end of the clutch master cylinder for a 1995 968. See the info below and the link to Clark's garage for more.

Thanks,

Phil

-------------------------------
I was able to look more closely at the problem and can now see that the hose is cracked. On the clarks garage site this hose is identified as number '40' in the late 944 & 968 diagram. If anyone can give me the part number for this item it would be appreciated.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-04.htm

Hi all,

While driving last night the clutch pedal went to the floor yesterday and did not return. Car was within a short push of a buddies house and there it lies. Later research reveals small puddle of fluid on the floor of the garage.

I can also report that there was a slight squeaking noise while depressing the clutch pedal that has been going on for about a week or so.

So, here are my questions

1. If I have to replace the master and slave what kind of bucks are we talking about?
2. I've seen some posts with respect to
a. disconnecting the battery before working on the clutch
b. some isssues related to bleeding the system.

Besides the above, if anyone can offer any insight with respect to diagnosing issues or other installation/repair issues it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume this is the blue hose. Call Paragon http://www.paragon-products.com/ and they can sell you a replacement hose for much less than the factory part costs.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 172 Posts

Exact same failure happened to me with entire family packed into P-car and Minivan, en route to my rookie Club Race. The shop was able to fit a hose from a 930 (almost identical), and an hour later we were on our merry way.

I still don't know the bloody part number either.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an older post, but just for future reference...

#40 in that diagram is part # 944.423.177.01 for the 968.

How do I know? Four years ago, my clutch pedal went straight to the floor while backing out of the garage... so I know how you feel!

It was about $70 from the dealer!! The worst part is that I suspect mine has a miniscule leak again... was cleaning up the engine today and noticed some fluid residue on the hose.

If you look at paragon-products.com, they indicate that the hose for the 944S2 (I believe) will work on the 968 but you have to bend it slightly to fit. They have that one for about $30.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Apex
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This just happend to me, as well - I'm about to leave work and go home to determine the exact cause of the problem (hose? which hose? & etc) then order parts.

But my question is - what do you guys recommend as a preventative maintenance interval for master & slave cylinders? If my hose is blown, then great, easy fix, but I'll be worrying about the cylinders next. Would you recommend a re-build (replace the rubber components) or just go with a new unit? My '92 is fourteen years old now (10/91 build date).
Old 01-30-2006, 03:08 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.... this is starting to sound like a common failure. That hose failed in my ex-Gf's car a couple of years ago. Dave Greimann (usually over on http://www.968forums.com )helped us out by taking the old blown rubber hose to a local marine hose place, and the guy there replaced the rubber hose with a stainless steel unit for $30 -- the hose guy just reused the existing fitting.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM
glencase
Racer

This happened on my 87 944 n/a
I contacted Pelican Parts link - http://www.pelicanparts.com/
They're good people and they will work with you to make sure you get the right parts, they also offer some price matching.

When it happened to me I replaced everything, blue hose, clutch master, slave, and other lines, I wanted it completely fresh so I wouldn't have to worry about the pedal going to the floor again and being stranded again.

Sold it and got a 968 that I'm trying to work through some issues.
See 968 possible LSD issues.

Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Apex
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my case it was the pressure hose - got new OEM from Sunset.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

That rubber pressure hose sure seems like a weak point.

And, since the clutch tubing runs from a hard line to a rubber hose to a hard line again, I don't understand why porsche didn't just use a hard line the whole way!

At the time, I also replaced both cylinders, just for preventive maintenance.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Brett951
Advanced

Originally Posted by daytrader968
That rubber pressure hose sure seems like a weak point.

And, since the clutch tubing runs from a hard line to a rubber hose to a hard line again, I don't understand why porsche didn't just use a hard line the whole way!

At the time, I also replaced both cylinders, just for preventive maintenance.
I presume the reason was a hard line wouldn't provide for flex between the firewall and the drive train.
Common failure? I think so happened to me about 10 miles from home. As long as you don't come to a full stop you can match engine revs to gear and shift without the clutch, just be gentle. I got all the way home with several gear changes without making a single grinding noise . Replacement is pretty easy. I got an OEM replacement from sunset. Only hard part is bleeding (I did the old two-person brake job method), which I'm sure would be much easier with a power bleeder.

Good luck.
-Brett
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

Good point about the need for a bit of flex. Still sucks... porsche engineers could've done better there!

Shift w/out a clutch?! I know it's possible, but I cringe just thinking about it! (Luckily mine died in the driveway... if you can call that luck?!) I know what you mean about bleeding by the 2-person method. I invested in a motive power bleeder not long after that! My friends thanked me.

Quick Reply: xpost - need part no for 968 clutch tube/hose