968 Forum 1992-1995

Another 968 Turbo engine photo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another 968 Turbo engine photo

Just to show my 968 cabriolet turbo conversion engine bay. The project is 95% complete. Just pending the installation of the wastegate and an oil catch can.
Old 07-25-2004, 01:22 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Angel, it looks awesome!! Way to go!
How was it tuning the Tec3?
Raj
Old 07-25-2004, 02:31 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats awesome!

I really want to hear more about it someday.

I am assuming that you are using the distributor cap to have something to plug the wires into and that you are driving it with something else.

Where is the trottle body from?

What happened to the MAF?

Are thos o2 sensors tapped into the hard pipes that I assume go to an intercooler behind the front bumper?

Is the large round thing on the intercooler return a blow off valve?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Perhaps Raj warned you about my questions.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:25 AM
TurboCab
Racer

Thanks guys for your support. I have not started Tec3 programming yet. With the built in wizard you can start the engine very easy. However, this is a base program. I'll probably look for help to complete my programming, either locally in Puerto Rico or in the states.

Bruce, there are no dumb questions, only the ones that you dont ask. Regarding the distributor, the Tec3 uses direct fire coils, in other words the spark plug wires are connected directly to the coils, just as in modern cars. The throtle body is the factory one, just inverted and the throtle cable attachment mechanism modified because of the intake manifold throtle cable mounting brackets. The Tec3 uses a MAP (Manifold absolute pressue) sensor, thus the airflow meter was eliminated. The sensors installed in the hard pipes are intake air temperature sensors. The device attached to the intercooler return pipe is a Tial blow off valve. Since I dont have an air flow meter, I can vent the air to atmosphere.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:56 PM
TurboCab
Racer

This filter is a KN model RX-4990.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:14 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking setup. Where did that nifty intake manifold come from? It looks like the ends of the stock runners are welded on to it.

Eric
Old 07-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angel,

Looks like you were able to keep the factory hood closure system...good job!

Jason
Old 07-26-2004, 10:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jason, the only time you have to worry about the latch system is if you install the intercooler in the engine bay. If you mount it in front of your radiators like Angel, it should never pose any problems.
Man, all you guys with standalone systems, nice!
Raj
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does mounting the intercooler in front of the radiator cause cooling problems for the radiator?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:47 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Bruce,

That question has been debated on the 944 Turbo boards for quite some time, and really there is very little data to base any responce on, and strong arguments have been made by people on both sides of the argument.

That said it appears of the car is properly set up in the oil and water cooling areas then running the IC in front of the radiator won't cause any problems, but it is important in any situation to be sure that you have enough air flow to keep things cool.....
Old 07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Guys:
I decide to install the intercooler in front of the radiators because I dont want to mess with the hood latch mechanism. If I were build a factory turbo S replica like Raj did, mounting the intercooler in the engine bay is the only way to go. I encountered two major problems installing when installing the intercooler. The front grille opening is about 5 inches high. This will limit the core height to obout this amount. The space behind the grill will allow you a core a couple of inches higher, but no outside air will be forced through those extra inches. Only the air succioned by the radiator fans will be pulled through. However those extra inches will have a positive effect on the pressure drop across the intercooler. I decided to take the chance and go with a core about 22" lenght by 3.5 inches deep by 5 inches high. This is a small core size for a possible 400HP application, but i will use the car for street use only and only will be running with 330-340hp most of the time 400Hp when the situation requires it (minimum time). If this intercooler size happens to be a problem, I will scrap it and go with water injection. The other probelm is that you will have to cut a hole for the intercooler pipes to reach the engine bay.

Eric_k:
The intake manifold was made by Tim at SFR. Yes, the factory intake runners were cut and welded to a flange. A custom tank was fabricated and the assy was bolted togeter with oring seals. There is some debate about the equal flow
numbers posted by SFR for this manifold. The intake was flow tested by another tunner and he told me that the 1 and 4 runners flow about 10% less than the 2 and 3. I contacted Tim back then and he told me that the testing method used was not the correct one, and that the runners actally flow +/_ 1% between them. Willing to avoid the situation to "heat up" I left the issue at rest. However, SFR discontinued this intake and have a new model for sale. Hmmmm...

I have posted a couple of photos about the intercooler mounting position.

P.D. The a/c condenser looks in bad shape, dont look at it.

Last edited by TurboCab; 07-26-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the flow rates but it certainly looks better than when a 968 & 951 intake are welded together.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Angel,

If your intercooler is mounted in front of your radiator...AND your A/C condensor is mounted in front of your radiator...That begs the question...

Does your radiator get enough air flow?

And, if it does...how come my car was overheating when I was only pushing 1 bar of boost!
And we put in the larger intercooler front bumper intake, and a hood mounted intercooler exhaust vent.

Maybe I did something wrong.

Jason
Old 07-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Jason....do you have any pics of the hood? Alos, how about a pic looking forward from the engine? That would really be a big help for those of us who wish to see but are still blind.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Jay,

I promise in this lifetime to get a digital camera and get some photos posted!

Sorry about the lack of digital components in my stable...you ought to hear my kids complain about the 21" color TV we have!

Jason

Quick Reply: Another 968 Turbo engine photo