Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Variocam Question...no, not how to adjust it

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 12:14 PM
GregAmy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd certainly like to know, for my own curiousity.

But in corresponding with the technical group at DIYAutotune, one engineer notes,

"The 968 has 4 discrete injector channels for sequential or semi-sequential injection. E30s and 944s in contrast are bank-fired and thus only have two channels and so the dual-injector channel PNP2 works fine for them, however you need a PNPPro (with more injector drivers) in order to have all 4 injector channels to 'match' the stock capability of the 968 ECU. My point here is that with the modifications necessary to adapt our existing board to work with the 968 along with the additional outputs required for the extra injector channels and the variocam, it's not worth trying to do on a PNP2; it's just a bad fit. It should however be a good fit for a PNPPro, which I'm happy to modify for you to try out if you'd like to order one."

I've decided to "hold" on this idea for the time being, for two reasons. First, my recent 968 purchase already has Pete's Stage 1 chip installed; I can't imagine I'd gain any significant performance with the Megasquirt*. Second, I really don't want to spend the $1200 right now; although I really enjoy tuning and figuring things out I can have $1200 of fun with my racing program instead.

This is not a dead idea, but I'm not getting the feeling from this small group that there's a lot of interest in the idea. But if anyone else might be interested in pursuing this I'd be delighted to help move it along.

I'll keep you posted if/when this changes.

Greg

*Of course, given Pete has closed up shop then what I have is what I have, there's no chance for any further upgrades/tuning.

Last edited by GregAmy; 02-12-2024 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Waterloo (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 09:05 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GregAmy
I'd certainly like to know, for my own curiousity.

This is not a dead idea, but I'm not getting the feeling from this small group that there's a lot of interest in the idea. But if anyone else might be interested in pursuing this I'd be delighted to help move it along.

I'll keep you posted if/when this changes.

Greg

*Of course, given Pete has closed up shop then what I have is what I have, there's no chance for any further upgrades/tuning.
I think there's interest but with the 968 not having the production numbers of pretty much any other model, it's all relative.

I would love to wring out a touch more power out of the car myself... kinda like Jason Camissa and his Scirocco 16v by "plussing" it to maintain the character. The hard part is finding the avenues to do so.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:37 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GregAmy
On the other hand, the Megasquirt is a fully-tunable and -customizable whole-ECU replacement. It would plug into the factory harness but does things totally differently. It would allow (but not require) opportuinity for adding wideband (among other stuff), sequential or batch injection, sequential ignition or wasted spark, and potentially ditching the MAF thus converting the engine management system to speed density. And, any tuning changes can be done via USB cable so the ECU never has to be removed and reinstalled.- GA
One of the other things that I noticed looking at other ECU's like Haltech, etc.... is that the 968 has 2 knock sensors and many of the ECU brands dont support 2 knock sensors until you get fairly high up in their line-up of ECU's whereas the 944 Turbo only has 1 knock sensor and can use a lower end model. I wonder if in the S2 implementation of the PNP2 from DIY supports 2 knock sensors or if they dropped one ??

The main reason I see value in the project of an aftermarket ECU is that it costs $700-850 to get a 968 ECU fixed and around $500 for a used one. It would sure be nice to have a stock bolt up version with a factory like tune, then several stages of tunes like one for a less restrictive exhaust thats slightly richer etc...much like an RS Barn Stage 1 chip. But then the ability to go any direction you wanted with a tune to properly match whether it was cams, super-charger, MAF delete, wide band O2 sensor.

Focus 9 Technology may get this done before anyone else as they have a full 944 & 944 turbo setup with OBD2 ports. They are the people who bring you the solid state fuel pump relay and the solid state fan relay with diagnostics...all good stuff. He has a lot on his plate but does often mention the 16v ECU is on his "to do" list. Knowing the 968 is even more different than S2 or S it could be a while?? Check out their website for details https://www.ftech9.com/
Old 02-13-2024, 11:33 AM
GregAmy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with you, John.

Another reason that I decided to punt on this for now: the last email I got from the sales guy included the question, "...and these ecus would be for off road and competition use only, they wouldn't be street legal in the US."

As you may be aware, the EPA has been cracking down on aftermarket ECUs and chips, some to the level of companies being fined millions of dollars for selling "defeat devices". The EPA is no longer looking the other way on "For Off Road Use Only! <wink, wink, nudge, nudge>" notifications.

Would such a small market like ours gain any kind of attention of the EPA? Probably not. But I can totally get why DIY would not want to involve itself in direct-selling an unapproved aftermarket ECU (though they have PnP for other makes/models). And I don't think any of us wants to get into pursuing EPA or CARB approval for these; I certainly don't.

The idea ain't dead, and it's totally do-able. just gotta find someone with the motivation to pay for it. - GA
Old 02-14-2024, 11:43 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

First four pages of this article might help explain a bit more or fill in some info gaps.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche 968 Variocam.pdf (1.42 MB, 42 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by LM964:
GregAmy (02-14-2024), Ufnavy06 (02-14-2024), Yogii (02-14-2024), Zirconocene (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 03:21 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 136 Posts

Here's the deal on 968 Variocam. The 968 engine uses a change in cam timing to optimize power throughout the rev range. The normal (unenergized) position has the exhaust cam in a retarded position. The solenoid is energized at 1500rpm to advance the exhaust cam and boost mid-range power, then it goes back to the retarded (unenergized) position to boost the top end power. It's quite effective and works along with the 968 specially designed 968 intake manifold.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelmount123:
jsheiry (02-15-2024), Ufnavy06 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:23 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Here's the deal on 968 Variocam. The 968 engine uses a change in cam timing to optimize power throughout the rev range. The normal (unenergized) position has the exhaust cam in a retarded position. The solenoid is energized at 1500rpm to advance the exhaust cam and boost mid-range power, then it goes back to the retarded (unenergized) position to boost the top end power. It's quite effective and works along with the 968 specially designed 968 intake manifold.
So that is how they get so much torque at 2,000 rpm?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Quick Reply: Variocam Question...no, not how to adjust it