Turbo conversion Complete

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo conversion Complete

All,

Just got my car finished, and ran it for 2 days up at Watkins Glen...

The car has tremendous torque now...There were more than a few surprised 911's.

Although there was no keeping up with those Cup cars...yikes!

We kept the boost down to around 15 psi for an easier break-in period, but it's still generating 381 lbs/ft. of Torque and 323 Horsepower at the rear wheels.

I have dyno sheets, but I don't know how to post them...

I know Raj uses a different turbo than mine, and I think his might be a better set-up. My mechanic said that he will have to change the compressor side to something larger, because it was topping out around 5,000 RPM. Not enough air, I think.

I think Graham is putting in a larger radiator in his turbo conversion...I will need to do that, too...good idea. My car was running over 220 degrees. And it was 60 degrees up at the Glen. I can only imagine what it would have been like if it was the heat of the summer.

We're using a set of wheels from CCW and he has done a wonderful job of fitting 9.5 X 18 and 11 X 18 rims under my fenders...we're using the Michelin PSC tires; 265 up front and 295 in the rear.

Jim Child made the suggestion of using slightly lower air pressure in the rear tires than the front. So, I tried using 26 lbs front and 24 lbs rear. Thank you Jim, it helped the rear tires heat up quicker. By the end of the second session they were all up to 32 lbs.

We swapped out the Torsen LSD for the Porsche Motorsport clutch type LSD. With the increased torque it came in handy indeed. If any of you know Watkins Glen, there is a section known as "The Boot" which has a lovely sweeping uphill right-hander...I got into the throttle a little too hard, maybe, and the LSD kicked in and kept me powering through that uphill, and allowed me to pass a 996 turbo on the top straight.

All in all, the car ran flawlessly, with the exception of needing a bit more cooling. I can't say how nicely balanced the car feels; even with all the extra power it is getting from the engine.

Jason Judd
Old 05-21-2004, 02:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jason, I would like to be the 1st to congratulate you on your "new" car. I am sure she is a hoot to drive. Can't wait to see it.
Those numbers are quite consistent with the factory cars, only you are making those numbers to the wheels!!
Also, remember that the dynapack used by Deman is very very conservative. It would be interesting to see these numbers on a dynojet 248C.
Great job there.
Raj
Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo conversion Complete

Originally posted by Jason Judd
Jim Child made the suggestion of using slightly lower air pressure in the rear tires than the front. So, I tried using 26 lbs front and 24 lbs rear. Thank you Jim, it helped the rear tires heat up quicker. By the end of the second session they were all up to 32 lbs.

Jason Judd
Did you not find the tyres were overheating at such low pressures, last day I did I found if I ran at anything less than 32 cold (36 hot) the tyres started losing grip very quickly as they warmed up.

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Mike,

No, I didn't notice that. But, maybe the combination of it being cool (around 60 degrees) and also taking into account that I wasn't really pushing it too hard may have kept that from happening.

Since it is a brand new engine, I was keeping it no more than 6,000 RPM and the boost was below 15 psi, too.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:55 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough Jason, but promise you'll try harder next time and tell me how the tyres perform

I also had new GSD3 tyres on the back so the big tread blocks didn't help.

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Mike,

I noticed you mentioned the GSD3 tires/tyres...

I'm running the Pilot Sport Cups; might be a different compound because Michelin sais they don't want them run any higher than 35 psi hot...

Jason
Old 05-21-2004, 05:19 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason's right. Different tires (tyres?) with differing characteristics and different pressure specs. JJ and I were discussing this at the track. I had a brand new set of Pirelli Corsa pZeros. I started with 34 psi cold and got them up to 40 (f) and 41 (r). They felt really good, very sure-footed, so I stayed with those pressures both days.

When I go back to WGI in a couple of weeks, I will try the same pressures, keeping in mind that the ambient and track temperatures will likely be higher (though, not necessarily at WGI).

Cheers!

Richard
Old 05-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!
Jason,
Glad to see that your car is complete! I'm sure you'll love driving it!
Now all you have to do is post some pictures and dyno sheets. You can get free picture hosting from the site Eric is running
Old 05-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats and excellent job Jason.

I'm with Raj: put that baby on a Dynojet and give us some 'real' numbers!

Old 05-23-2004, 01:29 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Graham is putting in a larger radiator in his turbo conversion...I will need to do that, too...good idea.
Jason Judd
Jason,
Congratulations.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new 968 Turbo and dyno sheets. Also, what other modifications did you make while doing the turbo conversion?

You might have meant me, Grant, about the radiator. But there might be a Graham doing that too.

Below is an image of my new radiator

The lower radiator is the stock/OEM single core radiator with the plastic end piece.
The middle is the mock up.
The top is the final fabrication of the new tripple core radiator with metal ends.

All the work on my 968 Turbo conversion, including design and fabrication of my new radiator, is being done by Jason Lee at
Heritage Motorcar Research, Largo FL 33771
Old 05-23-2004, 01:42 PM
grants_968
Racer

I think Graham is putting in a larger radiator in his turbo conversion...I will need to do that, too...good idea.
Jason Judd
Jason,
Congratulations.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new 968 Turbo and dyno sheets. Also, what other modifications did you make while doing the turbo conversion?

You might have meant me, Grant, about the radiator. But there might be a Graham doing that too.

Below is an image of my new radiator

The lower radiator is the stock/OEM single core radiator with the plastic end piece.
The middle is the mock up.
The top is the final fabrication of the new tripple core radiator with metal ends.

All the work on my 968 Turbo conversion, including design and fabrication of my new radiator, is being done by Jason Lee at
Heritage Motorcar Research, Largo FL 33771
Old 05-23-2004, 01:52 PM
grants_968
Racer

sorry about the double post above. don't know how that came about. hmm.

I just visited Jason Lee's web page which is aparently being redesigned to include a lot of the designs he has been applying to my 968 Turbo conversion.

See the links along the left of his web page at
http://www.heritagemotorcar.com/research/index.htm

I am a customer of Jason's and his company, and am not affiliated with HMR Inc.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Grant,

Sorry...it was you I was thinking of. I appologize for getting your name wrong!

I will definately need a radiator like yours.

I promise to get a digital camera and learn how to post images!

Jason
Old 05-23-2004, 04:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jason, its very easy here and is one of the major advantages of being a member. You can host pics for free as part of your yearly membership.
There is an icon on the top that says, upload photo. Just click on it, and it will let you host pics and then paste the link to your post.
Also, do you remember what your normal numbers were like before you did your mods?
Raj
Old 05-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Raj,

Thanks...I didn't realize what John and Jen had a set-up for us as members. I'll get some images and post them. Can I also post my dyno numbers, some how, or does it need to be a digital image?

Yes, I do have dyno's from before...I was around 190 HP and around 170 lbs/ft of Torque. Fortunately they were done on the same machine, also!

I have the old dyno charts at work...so I'll check tomorrow to make sure my recollection is correct.

Quick Reply: Turbo conversion Complete