968 Forum 1992-1995

Turbo conversion Complete

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 07:31 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay,

The radiator fit like a charm...and it really did its job, too!

Temp needle now sits just above the first white line and never goes to the second one.

All in all, this one went incredibly well....Congrat's to Heritage!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the update Jason.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:58 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason, would that radiator fit in an otherwise stock 968?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:16 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BruceWard
Jason, would that radiator fit in an otherwise stock 968?
Bruce,

My stock 968 radiator was used to set the exterior limits of the Heritage 3 core radiator when it was being fabricated for the first time. It is my understanding that the Heritage radiator does not interfere with any stock components of the 968, making it a straight forward bolt in replacement for the stock radiator.

The benefits of the Heritage radiator are better cooling from the three core design, and the all aluminium frame versus the OEM plastic sides which are prone to leak.

But, best to contact Jason Lee and confirm at

http://www.heritagemotorcar.com/research/index.htm

Cheers

Grant
Old 07-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I agree with Grant...no reason it wouldn't fit, but contact Heritage to make sure.

In reality, my engine bay is more crowded than a stock N/A 968, so there's got to be plenty of room.

But, why not call first?

Jason
Old 07-14-2004, 05:59 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, I am going to see how the existing radiator does as the heat rises, but it gets to 100F with 99% humidity in the summer so I may want a bigger radiator for some of the summer autocrosses.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Songzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, Congrats!

Is that an 8V motor? Keep us updated with your dyno numbers...

For my 3L, I got 339.5 rwhp, 50kgTQ @ 12psi.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:40 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Andrew,

Yep, it's an 8-valve approach.

I forget the HP numbers at the moment, I posted them before. I'm off to get rained on at Summit Point, so I'll try to find the numbers then.

But, I do remember it has 381 lbs/ft of torque at the rear wheels...yeah, that's going to be a whole lot of fun in the rain!

Jason
Old 08-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Default My Mechanic Can Beat Up Your Mechanic

It's seems that sometimes it's easier to bitch about lousy work than it is to pay a compliment...

So, I wanted to break with that time honored tradition and tell everyone of my experience...

Recently I had my 968 converted to Turbo-RS specs by Deman Motorsport. The car is fiercely fast and strong all over the RPM band, and this has had me relearning the car's behavior most of this season.

My mechanic told me, that he was surprised at how much power the car had developed, and he would like to change out the turbo, with a larger one, because he felt the engine would be even better if it had more air.

I told him that it was fine as it was, and I was aready scared of the 381 lbs/ft of rear wheel torque it had. I thought that maybe in a year, or so, I would upgrade the turbo after I had come to terms with the increase in power I already had.

Well, the turbo kicked the bucket last week at Summit Point. I looked like I was spraying for mosquitoes, with tons of smoke coming out of my tail pipe for most of the day.

My mechanic's reply to my situation...he said for me to bring it in and he would replace it no charge...no questions asked.

Just friggin' drop it off and he'll change it out with a bigger turbo! He felt that it was due to not having the right sized turbo and he was responsible for that decision.

I know, some people will say that it's the right thing to do...but, it's nice when that happens!

No questions as to responsibility...

I know when the issue of who's right and who's wrong comes up pretty regularly, and it sure is nice to do business with people who stand behind their workmanship the way my mechanic does.

Some people say that labor prices are high...some say that they are getting ripped off by their wrenches for work that's done. But, let's remember that it's also a business with insurance, payroll, overhead, and all sorts other stuff.

I say that my mechanic kicks butt!

PS: Anybody want to buy some 72lbs injectors that have about 5 days on them...now I need bigger injectors to go with my new turbo!

Jason
Old 08-19-2004, 11:16 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Jay,

Can a normally aspirated car benefit from those larger injectors or would I just be using more fuel for essentially the same performance?

Richard

P.S.: Are you coming to Watkins Glen next weekend (8/27-29)?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Rich,

I don't really know about the answer to your question...Rick would be the one to ask. Yes, I'm going to be up at the Glen for all 3 days...

Putting in new pads and rotors as we speak!

I'm going up Wednesday night because I'm toting some family with me, and want to spend some time with them, too.

Jason
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jason, that is very nice of Rick. It is the right thing to do but hardly anyone does it anymore so it deserves to be noticed. I would also ask him why would the turbo blowup. Just cause the turbo is smaller should never be a reason why it should blow up. It just won't make power past a certain point but it should not blow up. Only reasons I can think of is lack of cooling either from oil or coolant. You don't want this problem again with the new turbo. Just some advise.
Rich, you need to make sure that the injectors are of high impedence. Stock 968 injectors are in the 12 ohm range. 944 turbo injectors are in the 3-4.5 ohm range and with most standalone's you can opt for either one.
You need to find out what impedence those injectors are. Also, a stock 968 injector is approx 27lbs/hr. If you opt for an injector that has 3 times the flow rate, you will be washing off your cylinder walls before you could say "how long". Just to give you a prespective on what a bigger injector will do. My car was initially setup for stock 951 37lbs/hr injectors. When I moved to 52lb/hr injectors, I was shooting soot out the back at idle. This was when the increase was only 50% larger. I would bog when I got on gas and the car would almost stumble and die when I came back down to idle. It was just too much fuel. You can just imagine what it would be like in your situation.
They are not ideal for any NA 968. I can't see the need for any NA car to run such big injectors. They are suitable for turbo's only.
Raj
Old 08-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Raj,

I might not have been very clear about why Rick wanted to replace the turbo...it wasn't because he was nervous about it blowing up; he just felt that it couldn't deliver the air that the engine needed.

It was me who thought the turbo blew up because it was working too hard...my lack of understanding. I'll ask Rick why it blew up, though.

It makes me wonder what kind of gas mileage I'll get if I change injectors, though...might be measuring it in gallons per hour like the big boats do!

Jason
Old 08-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 204 Posts

Hi all,

I just wanted to clarify Jasons turbo situation...

We had always planned on replacing the turbo with one that flowed a bit more air...after my dyno work I determined the turbo was not big enough to give it all the performance I know is in there...

So, after this one started smoking it was the perfect time to finnish what we started...

As far as why it went bad, I have stopped using the company that built that one because of reliability problems...

Enough said???

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rick, well put. My statement by no means meant to say anything about anyone's work. I apologize if it came like that. Its hard to control things when you have vendors who supply turbo's.
Good luck on the new turbo.
Raj

Quick Reply: Turbo conversion Complete