968 Forum 1992-1995

Seat Bolster Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 10:58 AM
Boxster-pte
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Bolster Refinishing

Hi, I have some slight wear on the drivers seat bolster, not enough that the leather is perforated or torn. The color is LC Cashmere Beige with Black piping.

I wondered whether I could refinish/recolor this myself and if anyone could recommend any kits?

I was also hoping to swap the seat backs to reduce further wear, although my drivers has 8 way adjustment and the passenger is 4. Does anyone know whether this is a simple swap of the seat backs?

Thanks! Phil.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:48 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

I had a similar issue. Took it to the best upholstery guys in town and they recommended tons of conditioner. Since then I use a bunch of Groits Leather care products. I usually leave the conditioner on overnight. Parking in the sun helps too. The cracks are disappearing and the leather has come back to life! HTH?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 02-17-2023, 10:06 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I made a thread showing how well professionally restoration of my seats went, but I can't find it.

after restoration/reconditioning

before, 54k miles
The following 2 users liked this post by Eyeman:
dlearl476 (07-27-2023), Jay Wellwood (02-18-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 12:25 PM
tumibear
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like those marks on the leather. It tells me the leather is real animal hide. It's natural.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:47 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
I had a similar issue. Took it to the best upholstery guys in town and they recommended tons of conditioner. Since then I use a bunch of Groits Leather care products. I usually leave the conditioner on overnight. Parking in the sun helps too. The cracks are disappearing and the leather has come back to life! HTH?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Which products Yogi? I’ve used Lexol for years but I’m less than impressed. They’re nice but the effect doesn’t seem to last long.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:39 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Which products Yogi? I’ve used Lexol for years but I’m less than impressed. They’re nice but the effect doesn’t seem to last long.
First I thoroughly clean with oder nuetralizing leather cleaner. Then I park in the sun and let the interior warm up, then I slather on(quite thickly) the Leather Rejuvenator. Let it sit a long time, reapply leave in the sun. At sundown I take a clean microfiber towel and wipe it down. In your case, I would do it again the next day.
I find that the cracks slowly seem smaller, they NEVER go away completely. The seats seem soft and pliable for a long time.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

PS I know it may invalidate my man code membership, but I usually read and follow the directions as well as I can....
The following users liked this post:
dlearl476 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 12:13 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,300 Likes on 733 Posts

@Donicecapade you have some more pictures of your two tone interior?
Old 07-29-2023, 04:48 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
First I thoroughly clean with oder nuetralizing leather cleaner. Then I park in the sun and let the interior warm up, then I slather on(quite thickly) the Leather Rejuvenator. Let it sit a long time, reapply leave in the sun. At sundown I take a clean microfiber towel and wipe it down. In your case, I would do cit again the next day.
I find that the cracks slowly seem smaller, they NEVER go away completely. The seats seem soft and pliable for a long time.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

PS I know it may invalidate my man code membership, but I usually read and follow the directions as well as I can....
Thanks Yogi. I'm going to give it a try. My bolster isn’t bad at all, but if my door card dye job works out well, I may try dyeing them when I’m done.

Quick Reply: Seat Bolster Refinishing