Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Have you ever personally removed a transmission from a 968 / 944?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 04:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Have you ever personally removed a transmission from a 968 / 944?

Specifically a Tiptronic, but manual transaxles may be similar??

It seems like what I have to do is:

· Remove both axles

· Remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the TQ converter to the flex plate

· Remove the transmission fluid lines

· Remove some electrical connectors

· Remove the shift mechanism.

· Unbolt the transmission from the big cast Al torque tube flange? This is where it gets interesting. Are these four bolts really all that holds the transmission into the chassis? I don’t see any other obvious mounts.

· Two of the bolts (the lower ones) are easy access from the front of the trans.

· The two top bolts look like a major PITA since they are buried between the floor pan and the transmission. Tips on accessing these appreciated.

What am I missing??

TIA for the help.

Craig

Old 07-30-2023, 04:41 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I've done it by myself on a friend's list on my 87 turbo. It's something like you said above, clark's garage has the procedure. It's not that hard. I wouldn't want to do it on my back.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:37 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

On the top of the transmission, where the aluminum crossmember is bolted to the car, is an aluminum casting that attaches to the transmission with two 8 mm bolts--the other end of the casting is bolted to the rubber mount attached to the crossmember. So this casting supports the transmission and the bolts between the torque tube and the trans essentially attach the trans to the engine via the torque tube and bell housing.
There are more steps: you have to unbolt the driveshaft coupler and slide it toward the transmission--this requires turning the engine by hand and removing four bolts.
Even if you are mechanically skilled it will help you to seek out a copy of the workshop manual which contains the specifics about R&R'ng an automatic transmission.
Full disclosure--I've only done the R&R on a manual transmission.
The following 2 users liked this post by Julian Allen:
FRporscheman (08-07-2023), Yogii (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 11:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
On the top of the transmission, where the aluminum crossmember is bolted to the car, is an aluminum casting that attaches to the transmission with two 8 mm bolts--the other end of the casting is bolted to the rubber mount attached to the crossmember. So this casting supports the transmission and the bolts between the torque tube and the trans essentially attach the trans to the engine via the torque tube and bell housing.
There are more steps: you have to unbolt the driveshaft coupler and slide it toward the transmission--this requires turning the engine by hand and removing four bolts.
Even if you are mechanically skilled it will help you to seek out a copy of the workshop manual which contains the specifics about R&R'ng an automatic transmission.
Thanks, even with some parts removed, I'm having a hard time seeing the aluminum casting that attaches to the transmission with two 8 mm bolts. See the photo of the replacment transmission. Perhaps you can indicate where this casting mounts to the trans???
"you have to unbolt the driveshaft coupler and slide it toward the transmission--this requires turning the engine by hand and removing four bolts" Agreed, that's what I meant when I wrote, "Remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the TQ converter to the flex plate" i've already sorted the "turning the crank to access the bolts".
Ahh, finding a workshop manual is thus far proving to be elusive.
I've seen some internet links, but nothing like a comprehensive manual.

Be well.

Craig

Quick Reply: Have you ever personally removed a transmission from a 968 / 944?