968 Forum 1992-1995

New Member......Howdy !

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 04:35 AM
Sspdfreek
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member......Howdy !

Just picked up my first Porsche. A 1993 968 Coupe Tip. White/blue. I love the way these cars drive. I've worked on dozens of these car back in my Porsche mechanic days. I have a loud noise from the back of the car at idle and all speeds. It's less noticable at highway cruising speeds due to road/wind noise. The previous owner has lived with the noise for years but I'd like to fix it. It sounds like a bearing, maybe either torque tube or converter mounting plate. My main question is can I disconnect the torque converter (3bolts) and run the car without damaging anything? I will first undo my rear shaft clamp and run it but I'm expecting the noise to vanish once I disconnect the rear clamp. I glanced in the inspection cover and there is a fine red dust in there, not a heavy amount, I'm a test/don't guess kind of mechanic. I will try to get a video of the noise over the weekend. Glad to be here and look forward to Porsche ownership and comrodery .
The following 2 users liked this post by Sspdfreek:
CPL55 (07-15-2022), TKO (07-15-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 06:59 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

I've never disassembled a Tip, so I hesitate to answer and that's probably why this thread has not seen any activity. If the "nub" in the center of the torque converter cannot be made to clear whatever it fits into, then it could gauld, possibly cause damage and cause you problem$. Not much help. but that's all I've got

Cliff
The following users liked this post:
Sspdfreek (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

I can't add anything to the question either, but wanted to at least extend a welcome.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Sspdfreek (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 10:45 PM
Sspdfreek
4th Gear

Default Video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yo9FZiHmzr1g86Yk6
Old 07-17-2022, 12:43 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Sspdfreek

Nice dash!

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 07-18-2022, 11:15 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

Could also be rear wheel bearings. Normally if rear wheel bearings you can keep the gas on and touch brakes and noise will go away because the brakes force the rear/hub rollers upright and on proper surfaces.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:25 PM
Sspdfreek
4th Gear

It makes the noise at idle without the car moving so I can rule out the chassis and the differential. I'm going to disconnect the TC, push it back into the trans and run it, if the noise persists, it's either torque tube bearings or the TC mount. The weather is terrible hot and humid here, even at 7 am so I either have to wait or suffer thru it
Old 07-18-2022, 05:24 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I know you say it's from the back of the car, but it sure sounds like a power steering pump that is low on fluid. I would check it just to make sure.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:08 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just picked up my first Porsche. A 1993 968 Coupe Tip. White/blue. I love the way these cars drive. I've worked on dozens of these car back in my Porsche mechanic days. I have a loud noise from the back of the car at idle and all speeds. It's less noticable at highway cruising speeds due to road/wind noise. The previous owner has lived with the noise for years but I'd like to fix it. It sounds like a bearing, maybe either torque tube or converter mounting plate. My main question is can I disconnect the torque converter (3bolts) and run the car without damaging anything? I will first undo my rear shaft clamp and run it but I'm expecting the noise to vanish once I disconnect the rear clamp. I glanced in the inspection cover and there is a fine red dust in there, not a heavy amount, I'm a test/don't guess kind of mechanic. I will try to get a video of the noise over the weekend. Glad to be here and look forward to Porsche ownership and comrodery .
Hi
Having just disassembled a Tippy I can say that you will still have contact with the torque converter if you remove the 3 bolts as it is engaged on a "nub" or big dowel as a locater.
My money is on the big rubber flex plate which is at the engine end of the drive shaft. Your symptoms /noise are exactly what mine were. I thought it was TT bearings and as your car is a Tippy your are stuffed as they dont make the replacement bearings for it and the TT is no longer available. If you search my thread history you will get a good picture. Once I started pulling it down it was obvious that it was the rubber damper /flex plate. The TT bearings were still smooth and like new when I turned the inside shaft. This why I converted my Tippy to a manual - well it was a good excuse anyway as I hated driving the Tippy and my car is supercharged and much better drive as a manual.
I did also discover that the input shaft bearing on my Tip was totally U/S as well which would have been making a racket.
Peter

Last edited by oz968; 07-18-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member......Howdy !