968 Forum 1992-1995

Selling my 968 - Have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 07:15 PM
inv3ctiv3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling my 968 - Have some ?'s

So long story short this 1994 Porsche 968 was left to me by a friend's dad. It means a lot to me and I really didn't think I would ever sell it but I currently have three vehicles and just don't have the money or time to restore this car to where I want it to be. My question is what would the value be of a car like this given its condition?
About $11,000 worth of mechanical work was done about 3000 miles ago and runs very well but the interior and exterior I would say are in poor to fair condition. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago the front of the car was swiped and it damaged the front bumper no other panels or any other damage was done besides the front bumper covered. I bought a brand-new carpet kit from app biz along with the RS rear seat delete, but I just don't have the time to install it. I also have a set of kinesis Supercups that I would sell with the car or separately. The market seems wildly sporadic and it could be worth $5000 or $10,000 I have no idea.

1994 968
65k miles
Manual

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Last edited by inv3ctiv3; 06-16-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:00 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You lost me on the key part of the supercups. For sure I would not put them on this 65k mile 968. If you do anything to it, make sure it is heading back to stock. A typical well kept 65k 968 should bring $25k or up. Looking at your dash, interior, and hearing about your scrapes, I'd think that car will bring $15k to $18k.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:17 PM
inv3ctiv3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eyeman
You lost me on the key part of the supercups. For sure I would not put them on this 65k mile 968. If you do anything to it, make sure it is heading back to stock. A typical well kept 65k 968 should bring $25k or up. Looking at your dash, interior, and hearing about your scrapes, I'd think that car will bring $15k to $18k.
Whoops sorry that auto corrected I meant kinesis supercups, they are not installed on the car they're just sitting in storage. It would be great if the car was worth that much, but I think it would probably bring less than that given that it needs a new front bumper and must be repainted to be perfect.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:55 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Please show pictures of the damaged front end. Dash fix is $2,000-3,000 fix.
What else does it need? Date of tires? Brake pad depth? I assume that the large amount of maintenance included belts and water pump?
What size are the Kinesis Supercups? They might be worth $2,000 by themselves...

-Yogii

Last edited by Yogii; 06-16-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:57 PM
inv3ctiv3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yogii
Please show pictures of the damaged front end. Dash fix is $2,000-3,000 fix.
What else does it need? Date of tires? Brake pad depth? I assume that the large amount of maintenance included belts and water pump?
What size are the Kinesis Supercups? They might be worth $2,000 by themselves...

-Yogii
yea the dash is a big job this is definitely a project or track car candidate not a show car. Water pump, fuel lines, balance and timing belts, etc we’re all done 3k miles ago. I’ll get the invoice to show all the work but it was a lot. It doesn’t need anything it runs and drives great.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:09 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

How long ago was 3,000 miles?

From the little that we can see, I would say mid teens $$. Maybe a little more with fancy options...

-Yogii
Old 06-16-2022, 11:12 PM
inv3ctiv3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yogii
How long ago was 3,000 miles?

From the little that we can see, I would say mid teens $$. Maybe a little more with fancy options...

-Yogii
3 years ago I only drive it around town.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:41 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3
... this is definitely a project or track car candidate not a show car ...
I think you might be selling your car short. It's a lowish-miles 968 (@Jeff968 can give you a run-down of any options from the VIN) and the market likes them right now. Sure it needs some cosmetics but it's fundamentally a nice car.

If it were me: Spend a couple of hundred bucks on a thorough buff and detail, take some really good photos, and put it on carsandbids.com. I did exactly that with my S4 cab not long ago and it sold for 50% more than I was expecting. Definitely sell the Supercups and carpet set separately - there will be takers on the classifieds here. I would be interested in the carpet set if you want to shoot me a DM ...

Whichever approach you choose, good luck. I'll be following along to see where the market sits on this one.

Last edited by JimmyB; 06-17-2022 at 10:28 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot - it's a '94 not a '95
Old 06-17-2022, 01:55 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Without seeing more pictures, I think $15K is too much if you really want to sell it. List it for $12K and accept the first offer you get that you are happy with. That it has 65K miles doesn't mean much when the paint and interior is in that kind of shape. Looks like it lived a life outside in South Florida or Texas. It needs a paint job and a dash and probably a lot of interior work, that's at least $10K right there.

Best of luck.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:32 PM
inv3ctiv3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimmyB
I think you might be selling your car short. It's a lowish-miles 968 (@Jeff968 can give you a run-down of any options from the VIN) and the market likes them right now. Sure it needs some cosmetics but it's fundamentally a nice car.

If it were me: Spend a couple of hundred bucks on a thorough buff and detail, take some really good photos, and put it on carsandbids.com. I did exactly that with my S4 cab not long ago and it sold for 50% more than I was expecting. Definitely sell the Supercups and carpet set separately - there will be takers on the classifieds here. I would be interested in the carpet set if you want to shoot me a DM ...

Whichever approach you choose, good luck. I'll be following along to see where the market sits on this one.
Yeah that seems fair and I would definitely consider selling the carpet kit so long as the potential buyer doesn't want it you can send me a message and we can figure it out it's still in the box and can be shipped for about $40.

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Without seeing more pictures, I think $15K is too much if you really want to sell it. List it for $12K and accept the first offer you get that you are happy with. That it has 65K miles doesn't mean much when the paint and interior is in that kind of shape. Looks like it lived a life outside in South Florida or Texas. It needs a paint job and a dash and probably a lot of interior work, that's at least $10K right there.

Best of luck.
The car has a lot of meaning to me it was my best friend's dad's car that was the first new Porsche he was ever able to buy and when he passed away he left it to me. That said yes it did live outside most of its life but in California so it does have some damage to the paint and the interior but no rust and it runs and drives great. I think your price assessment is pretty spot on and probably what I would look to ask or get. Thanks

Quick Reply: Selling my 968 - Have some ?'s