968 Forum 1992-1995

92 968

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 11:20 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 92 968

I just purchased a 1992 968 6 speed ecab black/cashmere.
I am looking to replace belts, water pump, camshaft chain, camshaft pads and front seals but wanted a little advice. I am looking at a few packages from paragon parts. Timing kit with rollers valve cover gasket set and front seal kit. I’m not sure if I am allowed to post links but I will if I’m allowed. I will also be getting the zims remanufactured water pump. Chain and camshaft pads will come from sunset Porsche. Is this everything I will need to complete the maintenance? I have found diy write ups for the camshaft pads from about 12 years ago and some of the parts numbers listed do not match when I search. Any help would be appreciated. Again let me know if I can post links to these items as this will make it clear on what I am planning to purchase.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice. Jason at Paragon has complete kits. He may also have the cam pads and chain.

I would add the oil housing seal and the under bonnet fuel lines to your list.

You'll need a flywheel lock and the locktite juice.

What year is the taildragger in the background?
The following users liked this post:
Z3M&968 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:17 AM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Do you have a copy of PET for your car? I've typically found that the official Porsche parts dealers (Sunset, Marin, Gaudin, etc.) are good about putting information about supercessions on the parts pages when you do a search for a part from PET. Using THAT information, you can then broaden your search a bit to see if there are better prices out there. I've had some good luck lately with Gaudin (Las Vegas) and Delaware, who seem to have undercut Marin and Sunset lately. YMMV.

That's a great looking car and you've got a great plan in mind. The timing parts are critical for the engine not grenading itself, the fuel hoses are critical to avoid a car-b-que. Lindsey Racing makes nice, drop in replacements for the fuel hoses (no affiliation).

Good luck
Old 07-20-2021, 12:00 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Here is a list I put together from a couple years ago. I didn't do the job on my 968 before I sold it, but did it on my 951 last year.

Name:  sUR0tZt.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  150.8 KB
Z3M&968 (07-26-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:37 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. Im not sure of the year of the 911 this was where i picked it up. Hes a local porsche indy shop and racer. He had porsche of every year and model there. Porsche heaven. Some in need of major work and some just perfect.

I already have the flywheel lock ordered but will look through the list posted and start ordering. I do intend to do fuel lines as well as fixing the small ps leak.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:39 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Another question. As far as working under the car i was looking at race ramps which will give 10in lift would this be enough im always a little weary about working under jack stands. The race ramps im looking at are also 2 pieace so one car is up rear portion can be moved for better side access.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:40 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Here is a list I put together from a couple years ago. I didn't do the job on my 968 before I sold it, but did it on my 951 last year.

any chance you can email me this list?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:42 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
Do you have a copy of PET for your car? I've typically found that the official Porsche parts dealers (Sunset, Marin, Gaudin, etc.) are good about putting information about supercessions on the parts pages when you do a search for a part from PET. Using THAT information, you can then broaden your search a bit to see if there are better prices out there. I've had some good luck lately with Gaudin (Las Vegas) and Delaware, who seem to have undercut Marin and Sunset lately. YMMV.

That's a great looking car and you've got a great plan in mind. The timing parts are critical for the engine not grenading itself, the fuel hoses are critical to avoid a car-b-que. Lindsey Racing makes nice, drop in replacements for the fuel hoses (no affiliation).

Good luck
sorry not sure what PET is. The car is a project and unfortunatly no owners manual. Also needs rear plastic window. Mechanically runs well but did sit for the past few years.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:47 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Is PET the exploded view parts catalog? If so i have a pdf i think its 430 pages also have a 750 page pdf of work shop manual. Again new to porsche so i appreciate all the help. Im sure ill be on here alot for help. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
I've had some good luck lately with Gaudin (Las Vegas) and Delaware, who seem to have undercut Marin and Sunset lately. YMMV.

Good luck
I've used Gaudin in the past when Sunset would not sell to Washington State residents, but I found their shipping to be very high. Might have changed since then. Since Sunset is so close I've used them for many, many orders, but they just recently changed and are now charging sales tax for out of state residents, which is a non-starter since our rate is now 10.1%, so Delaware has been getting all my business. Their prices have been lower than Sunset anyway on most items and they seem to have more items in stock or readily available. You really need to check around though as prices do very. Not everyone feels the same but I only use genuine Porsche for stuff like belts, rollers, tensioners, etc.

Although I have not done it (yet), changing the cam chain is a bit involved as I think you need to remove the cams. 928 Motorsports sells a heavy duty cam chain for a few dollars more than stock.

I have the LR fuel hoses on my S2. One of mine going to the damper (not used by 968) had a big bulge, so it was definitely time to change them.

The P/S belt listed by Paul (9.5x950) is the one I've used in the past but when my S2 was in the shop (normally I'd do this myself but my garage is full of my kid's massive record collection at the moment... argh) for belts recently they fitted a 10x950 for some reason.

Good luck with your project. Nice looking car. How many miles?
Old 07-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gsx9522r
any chance you can email me this list?
If using Windows Right Click on the image and you can save it.
gsx9522r (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 04:04 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

@gsx9522r : That's right, PET is the Porsche Classic parts diagram that is available online. There are sometimes different versions that have been updated. You can download the latest and greatest here: https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...artscatalogue/

There's some drop down menus that are just down the page a little bit and you can choose your model. It's kind of fun to browse the documents for other cars that are shown (like the 918; I can't see the 959, which would be cool).

Cheers
gsx9522r (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 04:15 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

Thanks that is the one I have downloaded.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:16 PM
gsx9522r
Intermediate

125k miles
Old 07-20-2021, 06:27 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice looking car and congrats. Something odd to me, I thought all 92s had a recessed hood badge. Either way enjoy.
Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: 92 968