968 Forum 1992-1995

Roof problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:29 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof problems

I just bought this 968 and I was took the roof off for the first time. It seems that for some reason, I can't get it back on. The toothed curved latches don't seem to be catching on the gear cogs that drive them. I hear the motor that controls the roof run when I press the up/down switch, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem? Thanks.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:19 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it a Cab or a Coupe?
Old 02-29-2004, 11:29 PM
Greimann
Advanced

The ignition switch should be in position 1 (engine not running) Press the top of the rocker switch. It should engage. But if you have removed the roof panel. You should not see the curved arms at all. How did you remove it?

There is also a chronic problem with these cars is the plastic gears strip out. That may be the problem.

Last edited by Greimann; 02-29-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:56 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you show us a pic of what the arms looks like right now? They should be retracted as stated.
Also, tell us how you took the sunroof off in the 1st place. A lot of people don't do this right, that is why I ask.
Raj
Old 03-01-2004, 12:37 AM
9SIX8
Advanced

The roof was taken off with the ignition in the 1 position (accessory). It is a coupe. I am guessing that the plastic gears are stripped based on some postings I have read on the PCA site, and the more obvious fact that I can pull both curved arms out without a problem. Sounds like from what I've read, I have to cut the headliner around the 2 arm areas, remove the 5 screws and look for the stripped plastic gears. Sound about right? Thanks again for the responses.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:20 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yuup, sounds like you know what to do. If you get stumped, please post and we will try to help.
Raj
Old 03-01-2004, 04:39 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only seen a coupe once, guess thats why the description did not make sense to me!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Hi 9SIX8,
My roof has a similar problem. In my case the left ratchet was extending at a different rate than the right. Took them apart to find the plastic cog on one side was damaged.

Are the plastic cogs available from Porsche? Don't tell me you have to buy the whole ratchet unit.

Any snags to be aware of when re-mounting. I'd hate to strip another cog.

Brian H.
'94 968
Old 05-15-2005, 08:28 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

Plastic cogs are available from Porsche. Call Sunset Imports sunsetimports.com tell them you're an out-of-state buyer, they charge cost +15% on all parts shipped out of state. I think the cogs were like $6 a piece. It's a pretty ez job to do, the only thing I didn't like was that I had to cut the roof liner, but that gets covered up in the end. The only thing tricky was where to put the metal guides in relation to the cog so that the guide would fully close the roof and create a watertight seal. Wrong placement of the metal guide can cause the roof to overtighten. Good luck or email me willclee@yahoo.com if you have more questions. If you're a PCA member there are a ton of forums on this on the PCA site.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Thanks...
I'll order replacement cogs on Monday.

You bring up the concern that I have... when the ratchets are remounted is there a possibility of getting the starting point wrong and stripping the cogs again? I guess one thought would be to start at the fully retracted point.

Another thing.... I was able to unscrew the cover for the ratchet units without having to cut the headliner. There was enough give in the plastic fabric when pulled back from the sunroof seal.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm in the PCA so I'll check PCA.org.

Thanks,
Brian H.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:21 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

Yes, that's a definite possibility. Check out the PCA.org site in the Tech Help section 924/944/968. That's where I got my info from to do the repair. Any more questions and I'll be happy to help with what I know.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:33 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

9SIX8,
Now that I have the new cogs I did a couple of dry runs to figure out the proper working. Unfortunately I think I may have some kind of aditional problem... I did also go into the pca.org where the basic operation is laid out - thanks!

Now to my problem...
With the ignition in accessory (position 1) and finger on microswitch (adjacent to mirror) the lift arms go into the "disconnect from roof" mode. What I'm finding is that when I operate the console switch the cogs will turn as though to engage the sunroof (correct operation) and stop automatically. However when I try to fully retract the arms the cable / cogs keep turning to the point where the cable actualy exits the mechanism on the right (passenger) side. There seems to be no automatic stop for the fully retract position.

Any thoughts?
I hope I explained it properly. Don't know if this is just pilot error and there's just something I'm missing - or if there is a stop switch not working somewhere.

If I put it back together like this - I know I'll bust up the cogs again.

Hope you can help.

Brian H. / 94 968
Old 05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
9SIX8
Advanced

I think your problem exists in the driver side rear quarterpanel. There should be stop limiters attached to the cable. If these don't exist, then the cable will continue running until you let go of the switch. Check the PCA site for this, there are posts regarding this issue.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:28 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Yes... I pulled back the rear left carpet to expose the motor - and unbolted the mechanism. Now I can see what's going on. The cable is coiling up inside the quarter panel in the fuly retract mode. Not sure why that's happening. Nothing obviously broken. There's a white plastic mechanism on the rear side of the motor mount that looks like it is over extending - but it's not clear how far it is supposed to move. I'll post also on pca.org

Thanks for your help.
Brian H.

Quick Reply: Roof problems