Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was quick. I'm glad you found the problem.

When I did my pan gasket, I didn't get a new alignment since it had recently been done. I just carefully realigned the caster blocks to my scribe marks, as you say. I was very observant for any changes in how the car handled and watched for any signs of increased tire wear. No problems ever came up and that was thousands of miles ago.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yikes, sounds like you owe Hartech a beer or five.

Congrats anyway & I go with the scribe method as well.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Originally posted by daytrader968
That was quick. I'm glad you found the problem.

It was a case of having to, I started it up this morning to move it off the drive and I thought the top end was coming through the bonnet, the pressure wouldn't get above around 3 on the gauge. So I though stuff it, rang into work and booked the day off and hid in the garage from 9.30am till 9pm. A long hard day but well worth it.

This is a commen problem according to Hartech, the lower balance shaft vibration causes the pickup pipe to vibrate and resonate which leads to a fracture and eventual failure. I think I caught mine just in time as another mile or two and it would have dropped off completely.

I didn't replace the pipe I simply welded the pipe back together, and then sleeved it to reinforce the weak point where the pipe leaves the union.

Worst job of the day had to be undoing the engine mounts, talk about tight for space, got a case of the skinned knuckles from that one

When I get chance I'll put a picture up of the broken pipe, its something everyone should be aware of, I wonder how many people are driving around with the balance shafts out of time, I hardly noticed my lower one the vibration was so slight inside the car.

Mike
Old 03-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Heyou
Track Day

Bloody'ell Mike that was quick, well done, it sounded like it was going to take ages to get that off before gaining access to the sump.

I pleased that you've found and fixed the fault, good news.

Del
Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That is just awesome!! Great job there bud. Nice, very nice .
Always nice to see it all come together. Time well spent.
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-24-2004, 08:38 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I spoke to Hartech this morning and conveyed my thanks.

Raj,

I am so happy to sort this I cannot begin to explain, the car is now running spot on no ticking, rattles, vibrations or pressure problems.

I'm back on the Mobil1 0w40 which is what the car has always had and the oil pressure at temp is now pinned at 4.5 virtually all the time, only dropping down to a very steady 2.5 when stationary.

I'm still grinning with joy and I'm now confident to work on this beasty no matter what.

Next job is to change the tranmission oil and then get on with fitting my new shocks and struts which have been gathering dust for the last month.

Mike
Old 03-24-2004, 11:20 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It always nice to see a problem like this come to an end. Kudos to you for hanging in there and chipping away at potential suspects.
How did you do with the oil pan bolts? Also, how did the engine look on the inside?
Regards.
Raj
Old 03-24-2004, 11:42 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Oil pan bolts were fine I followed the procedure in the 944 manual although 2 stage torque setting was a bit of a drag for 4 & 8Nm ?? why they need this I do not know.

The engine is spotless inside with very little laquering and the cylinder bores were smooth with no visible scoring etc.. Given the time I didn't remove the Rod bearings to have a look, thought best not to over complicate things and end up with the car off the road any longer than neccessary.

I did find half a dozen cam teeth in the bottom, obviously from a previous set of cams.

Mike.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Very nice Mike! I have been following this thread off and on for a while as I have a 175k mile coupe and am glad to see everything worked out well. I hope mine does not experience the similar problem, but it is nice to know there is someone who has experience on this issue and has found it to be something other than the dreaded Variocam problem. If it comes up, nice to know someone can help with my home garage repair.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:53 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Default Picture of the offending item

As promised this is the offending item

Mike

Last edited by mike_hammond; 03-24-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:03 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet your glad you didnt drive it for too long, that could have done some damage.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Just a little bit Nick,

I think its only the fact I'd got the oil full to the max that it was managing to keep the oil going around, although at a reduced level on the top end.

I've been very lucky indeed

Mike
Old 03-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Heyou
Track Day

How much they rush for the new pick-up tube? did you get it from an OPC?

Well done again Mike, good job you live 200 miles away from me or i'd be bringing mine round to yours to have fix

Del
Old 03-24-2004, 07:03 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Originally posted by mike_hammond
I didn't replace the pipe I simply welded the pipe back together, and then sleeved it to reinforce the weak point where the pipe leaves the union.

Mike

Del, wakey wakey m8

I think one 968 in my garage is enough the wifes doing her nut as it is so best keep your motor down there matey, also you can't afford my labour rates

Mike

P.S. added some pics of the top end stripdown to my site tonight.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Good job Mike!!!

Glad to hear that you were able to find the problem before it caused more problems - your persistance has paid huge dividends!

Interesting that the 180 degree out created the resonance to fracture the oil pickup tube.

Thanks for sharing and for being so persistant in determining the problem.

Quick Reply: VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!