Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:54 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean, but its frustrating without a shop full of parts at your disposal it makes every move more important to get right else you could end up throwing a wagon full of cash at something that it doesn't need.

I just hope the filter change helps to stabilise the pressure, I think next move has got to be a proper engine flush just to eliminate any crud and then it'll be lifter, chain and tensioner pad time these need doing anyway!

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 06:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent plan. I would do them asap as your mileage is up there in that range. I recently saw a 94K cab 16 valve head and the exhaust cam has 2 teeth missing. The car was well kept after but I guess one cannot assume what is going on internally.
Sunset Porsche has the best prices.
Regards.
Raj
Old 02-26-2004, 06:33 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Had a quote off Jeff at Sunset today, he will save me about £75 stirling even with import tax & shipping. The only down side is he needs to order some of it in and then ship it so I'm looking at 2 weeks minimum.

I'll see how it goes at the weekend but I reckon I'll get them in the UK just to get them quickly so I can put this to bed and enjoy the drive instead

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for updating your avatar - nice color Mike!

Old 02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Thanks Jay, I've been desperately trying to get to 25 posts so I could load a custom one
Old 02-29-2004, 03:21 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I've had the top off today, just to really sort out how I'm going to attack the lifter change when the parts land in the garage.

Took a couple of Photos of the cams & pads etc just to see what you guys think, all teeth are present and the pads apart from being a little dark in colour are showing very little wear. I'm still going to change them but thought it may be of interest to you guys to see the top of a 140000 mile motor.

Also going to change the centre smooth idler gear on the balance belt as its still whining since I retensioned it 2 weeks and 300 miles ago.

By the way the oil pressure is still fluctuating quite a bit when hot, the relief valve looks OK, but do you think its worth changing that before ripping the oil pump out ?

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2004, 03:24 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

And the top pad, chain pulled to the side slightly to see wear.
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2004, 03:27 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Lifter, which I could push down by hand, is this right ?
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Might just be the lighting - but I noticed a difference in wear patterns on the two cam lobes in the last pic.

Which lifter were you able to push down on by hand? My 928 lifters are/were immovable by hand - quite stiff indeed. Hmmmm......
Old 02-29-2004, 03:46 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I think the wear pattern is just the light as they all look more or less the same in the flesh. There were a couple of lifters I could push down but most were rock solid. The picture is just an example really not the specific one or two which felt soft.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:15 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

I've just pulled the service history and with the aid of Alta Vistas Babelfish translator, I've discovered that the car had two new camshafts in January 2000 at 191000 Kms (118000mls) but there is no mention of the lifters.

This would probably explain why the pads & chain look good in terms of wear as the car is now at 225000Kms (139000mls) so they've only done 20 thousand.

At least I can breath easier on the camshaft issue, question is should I still do anything with the pads and chain or can I leave them for now and just do the lifters ?.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I wouldn't worry about the tensioner & cams then based on the info you provided.

Might do a side by side chain comparision between yours and a new one though just for piece of mind if possible.

Any idea why the cams were replaced?

Old 02-29-2004, 05:44 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Its difficult as the history is all in German and consists mainly of itemised receipts with either no or little description of the actual work.

There was a lot of bits in Jan 2000 on the one invoice (6 pages), mainly service items but also lots of little things like screws & washers etc....I need to do more research to find out more about it.
Was there a problem with the cams or was it that they'd just worn out and the previous owner had them changed as a precaution. Seems silly they didn't have the lifters done at the same time as they run straight on the cam lobes and could contribute to premature wear.
It makes you wonder if the pads and chain were done if they skimped on the lifters, what is the German for variocam tensioner pad ?

Don't answer that I'll look it up

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

Originally posted by mike_hammond
Was there a problem with the cams or was it that they'd just worn out and the previous owner had them changed as a precaution.
Mike, they may have been replaced because 1 or more teeth had broken off. Both my cams were replaced at 92k because of this problem (not paid for by me, luckily!)

I seem to recall cams are around £1800 the pair so the fact that yours are in good nick bodes well
Old 02-29-2004, 06:09 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Your cams must be Gold plated Alex if they were £1800, you can buy them for just under a grand plus V.A.T.

Still a boat load of cash either way, just glad somethings going the right way for once

Mike (say hello to the guys at PCGB for me )

Quick Reply: VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!