Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 08:52 AM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently its a commen problem Jay according to the guys at Hartech, and also Colin at 9M reckons its the first thing they ditch when building race engines.

Mike
Old 03-26-2004, 09:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for being off-topic:
Jay, did you get my VM and email?
Regards.
Raj
Old 05-11-2004, 05:10 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

OK, don't panic just yet.

I've noticed over recent week that if I labour the car slightly at around 1800 to 2000 RPM the Variocam starts to rattle momentarily (split second)as it did when I had the original oil pressure probs.

Oil pressure is normal and stable nowadays as you'd expect so I'm happy its not the old problem returning. Below or above these revs its quiet as a church mouse and running sweet.

I'm thinking 2 things, either the check valve on the variocam is sticking or the variocam unit is tired and is needing slightly more pressure than it should to stabalise it.

Any thoughts ?

Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 09:40 AM
ugo968cab
Intermediate

Are you sure your oil pressure relief valve is ok ?. I read somewhere that a defective valve, can interphere with Variocam. I do not know if this is revealed by the oil gauge, probably depends were the gauge reads in the oil path.

Another point of attention is the solenoid valve sending oil: is the voltage ok ?

Ugo
Old 05-12-2004, 09:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

The oil pressure sender unit is connected to the same housing as the oil pressure relief valve. This would give you accurate readings of the relief valve.
Raj
Old 05-12-2004, 10:14 AM
ugo968cab
Intermediate

To sum up:

1) Mike has repaired the oil pickup tube, and this has solved the low oil pressure problem in the top of the engine, direct cause of the lifter noise

2) The Variocam mechanism (solenoid, etc) has been extensively tested and appears working

What is not clear, during all these test did you also check for wear in the nylon pads, chain and sprokets ? Perhaps the Variocam starts to produce noise because some parts are worn and need to be substituted. The clattering noise is typical of this situation and is made by the chain.

I also suppose that the low oil pressure from previous (solved) problem, can have produced a non regular working of Variocam, possibly with accentuated wear of some parts. At least the pads and chain should be checked.

Ugo
Old 05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Mike, I have a few spare tensioners lying around if you need one. Let me know.
Raj
Old 05-12-2004, 04:18 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Just to bring you up to speed new chain, new pads and new lifters fitted. Cams were worn but easily still servicable. I installed all the parts at the same time as the oil pickup pipe was repaired. The OPRV was rebuilt with new seals and appears to work just fine, gauge is very stable at around 4 - 4.5 when cruising and 2 to 2.5 at idle.

The noise is from the Variocam again as its the same noise but just not that loud and its not constant at certain revs like it was before, like I say its for a split second as the revs climb and only under load, once cruising and also if you pull off with plenty of revs its sweet.

I'm thinking the variocam or the check valve (under the J tube) is probably just worn out and is sensitive to the slightly lower pressure that would be found on the top when not revving the car at crawling speed, like Ugo says I did drive it for a while with the low oil pressure problem so it could have damaged it internally.

Raj, what are your spares like and what are we talking $$$'s.

Mike
Old 05-14-2004, 12:13 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Mike, don't worry about the money part now. Get it fixed 1st. Just pay for shipping and we will worry about money if it turns out that was your problem, or else just send it back .
And in either case, you will be shocked .
Raj
Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj, if you declare the parts as a gift when shipping you will save Mike a lot of customs fees (5% import + 17.5% vat) but I am sure you already have the process down.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Brace, thanks. I didn't know that.
Raj
Old 05-14-2004, 04:24 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Originally posted by 968TurboS
Mike, don't worry about the money part now. Get it fixed 1st. Just pay for shipping and we will worry about money if it turns out that was your problem, or else just send it back .
And in either case, you will be shocked .
Raj
Raj, I wouldn't want to have something off anyone without knowing how much up front, it saves any hassle later if we disagree
If the price is right and I'll take your word its a good one I'd probably just buy one off you and keep it as a spare for future use anyway, thats if your in a position to let one go.

Send me a PM and let me know what you've got and how much you want.

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-14-2004, 09:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

You have a PM.
Raj

Quick Reply: VarioCam Tapping noise....HELP !!!