968 Forum 1992-1995

Considering factory drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:03 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering factory drilled rotors

I'm considering purchase of factory drilled rotors for my non-M030. It's my understanding that there is no such part per se for the 968, but that drilled rotors for another model can be fitted. Can anyone help with this: is this correct, and if so what parts should I specify? Anyone have part numbers?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can fit genuine Porsche mo30 cross drilled rotors to the rear-they're the same size as non mo30 rotors. If you're keeping stock front brakes then you'll have to go with Vertex/Zims/Paragon-these'll be regular Zimmerman rotors that have been machine drilled, rather than casted with holes. You'll also have to paint the 'cones' with hi temp paint to prevent rusting-factory rotors have a coating to prevent this. If I'm wrong someone will correct me!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Damian is spot on, there is no such thing as a "factory" standard size rotor for the front. You would ahve to upgrade to M030 or big red/blk calipers in order to get fatory cross drilled rotors in the fronts.
Rears as Damian stated is just factory M030 spec rotors which are cast drilled. Even though the aftermarket rotors are not cast drilled, I doubt you will ever notice any cracking on the street. On the race track, its another story.
BTW, just curious how you like you short shift? Is the effort increased? would you recommend it?
Regards.
Raj
Old 02-22-2004, 01:09 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Effort is not increased: overall I like it a lot, and would reccommend it. The unit came apart, however, about a week after installation: a factory-installed bolt came undone. This seems to have been a fluke.

It was trying to discuss my problems with this shifter that led to my departure from the 968.net forum, BTW.

I have been reluctant to get into the Zimmermans, because there have been so many painting methods brought up over the last couple years. Is there a known, proven method of painting that someone can describe?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:13 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about having factory fronts drilled?

I bought plain Zimmerman rotors for all four corners, about half the price of factory parts. Then painted the cones.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I had put Zimmerman drilled rotors on my coupe. Painting was easy-clean the rotors, dry well with a solvent (I used alcohol), mask, and use several thin coats of hi temp gray spray paint, making sure everything is covered well. The rotors I bought from Vertex, less than $90 each I think.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Moook
Racer

Hi folks.
As were talking about brake disks , does any one know if its posible to buy slotted / grooved discs for the front of our cars.[M030 spec].
If not can grooves be cut/machined onto the disc without damaging them?

Also on another point John, how do you like the Goodyear GSD3,s you have on your car? Im just considering some for mine?

Ta
Dave W.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:36 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

From a Sept. 03 post at 968.net

I've now spent a couple of weeks on new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, which replaced Bridgestone S03's on my 17" wheels. I don't do any track driving, just town and highway.

The Eagles are much better at avoiding the 'tracking' which the S03's were susceptible to: I used to be pulled around by minor grooves in paved surfaces: the Eagles, with no defined center rain slot, drive over these flaws effortlessly. This is a big improvement in the driving experience: I no longer feel the car is being pulled around by the road.

Overall I also think the Eagles provide a more comfortable ride- they seem a bit 'cushier': again I have no objection to an increase in ride comfort. I get just as much of a sense of road feedback and control as I did with the S03's.

The TireRack site gives the impression that the Eagles would be perhaps quieter: this isn't the case in my experience. The spectrum of the noise generated by the newer tires is lower in frequency, which perhaps might make it seem quieter to some, but it's my guess that the SPL is if anything, louder.

These tires seem as grippy as the S03's, but I notice they're easier to get chirps from: on aggressive power-on turns they'll chirp every time, whereas in the same circumstances the S03's are all but impossible to get squeal from. I think I feel a little bit of breakaway going on as well.

Very subjective impressions, from a non-technical driver. Hope they help.

(I have not received the $60.00 rebate promised on the set of four tires, and it's been at least a couple of months....)

A followup-

I recently completed a series of long highway trips which really pointed out the advantages of this tire- the ride was much more comfortable, both in that 'tracking' was greatly reduced and that the cracks, potholes and expansion joints we have all over US roads were much less of an annoyance. Roadholding, braking and wet performance are exceptional

I think these are special tires.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

www.paragon-products.com sells slotted rotors fpr 968's.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:30 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I bought my plain Zimmermans from Paragon for an excellent price. Call them and talk to Chuck or Jason, they know their stuff.

Another alternative http://www.allzim.com offered to have Zimmermans machined for me. Zims is very helpful but lacking in 968 specific knowledge.

But with Jason owing a 968 RS and Chuck owning a 968 they have in depth knowledge of 968s and I since my first order with them I have decided to call them first.

Quick Reply: Considering factory drilled rotors