Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

London visit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Damian it might be a good idea to stick to the shandy for a while. I remember what the Brits did to me when I first arrived. I followed in the tradition of drinking the American under the table by introducing my friends to the bitter / lager mixes when they visited.

Have fun hanging out in my old neighborhood and drive a few CSs for us!
Old 02-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I go on the wagon for Lent, so no booze for me. Besides, this is a working trip-no time to socialize except tomorrow with the 968 gang. Bruce, I'm hoping the UK guys don't understand when I say I'm going to 'dirt track' the car . . . !!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:35 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trouble is Damien we're everywhere, walls have ears as they said in the war

Have a good day with the boys, shame I can't make it to say hello and shake your hand.

Mike
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Raj

Tried to get you on messenger a couple of times but I guess your not using it much at the moment. Thanks for dropping my stuff to Damian, and for all the help. Hope we will speak soon. Damian should be in for a fun day out tomorrow, I hope to get him a passenger ride in an amazing M030 CS belonging to one of the other UK 968ers, and a ride in my lowly coupe through some nice English countryside on the way to the track where the meet is!

Regards
Nick
Old 02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nick, how are you? I have not logged on IM for sometime now. I dropped off all the parts at Damian's place a few days back so you should be good to go.
Let me know when you get them. Good luck and show my big bro a good time .
Raj
Old 02-28-2004, 07:21 AM
koirra
Track Day

Too bad I cannot join you guys tonight. Couldn't swap my weekend on call.

Oh well, sure wish you have good time!!!

Erkki
Old 02-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

HoooEEEEE! Blasting around Bedford Autodrome, sideways in a Riv Blue Clubsport on slicks, or in a very nice white coopaay, as they say over on this side of the pond-I had a very nice reception, Nick was very kind to taxi me around from Heathrow to the country and back to London-nothing like a lot of hot laps in 968's to shake off the jet lag! Throw in a couple of PCGB magazines, including the 200th issue, a bottle of champers courtesy of Paul, and it was a wonderful day meeting up with people I've only know over the net. Heyou even asked me if my cab had 993T lightened flywheel-too funny for words! I'll give a fuller report when I get home. Cheers, and tallyho from London . . .
Old 02-29-2004, 11:35 AM
legaleagleboy
8th Gear

Damian, so great that you made it over here, this is a brief report for starters:

left to right:
Del from Guildford (Heyou) red CS
nick from London posts on 968.net, navy coupe manual
Damian from NJ USA, posts on 968.net & rennlist (with complimentary copies of Porsche Post -- champagne out of sight!) yellow cab
paul from Kettering (legaleagleboy) white coupe
paulh from Guildford (paul968) light metallic blue sport
dave f from Derby (DLP) red cab
James Potts from Tunbridge Wells, white coupe tip
(not everyone made it to the photo shoot -- some tracking -- 2 CS's from Steve wall and William Betts and one coupe)

i think it was 9 cars that turned up -- did not beat the record of 12 from last week though. Must have got the record for the longest journey to a UK 968 event -- Damian our warm and most gracious guest from NJ USA.

Track was dry all day, 4 miles in length and great fun. Did 190 miles and had the great pleasure of whizzing round with some of the guys in my car.

ps visit www.968uk.com and www.pcgb.co.uk for other threads on this meet up.

paul

Last edited by legaleagleboy; 02-29-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:56 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Well what a great day out. Damian was really good company and we drove through some really nice scenery on the way to the track. It was great to see such a good turn out, there were 3 more 968's that didnt make the pictures as they were too busy flying round the track!

Thanks to Paul for helping us out and making it possible for Damian and myself to go out.

I think its really great the way this (968) community works and it was good to be able to enjoy a day out with someone who has been a 'virtual' friend for so long. I hope to make it to Hershey one year and meet some of our American counterparts!

I have some pictures here but I cant blank out the number plates so I dont want to post them. If anyone can do this for me I will email the pics over. Raj If you give me an email address with some room in the inbox for larger files I will email you the pics of Damian going out in Steves M030 CS on slicks.

I have to say the M030 CS on slicks is quite an experience, having driven my coupe round tracks, its unbeleiveable the difference the M030 makes, and the slicks enhance this even further, not to mention what they do for the big reds!!

Thanks to Steve for taking us out and showing us what the 968 is capable of, a truly awesome car.

Was nice to meet all the other guys, Del, Paul, Dave and James, hope to see you all soon.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:23 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Nick,

Steve's CS is the reason I got one, saw it a Kemble airfield about 2 years ago it was love at 1st sight, simply awesome, your a lucky man getting to go out in that.

Mike
Old 02-29-2004, 04:30 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

By the way Paul, you have me down as a tip, but I am in fact a 6-speed just for the record.

Mike your right, its an awesome car, helped even more by the charlie a-arms and slicks! I have been waiting for a very long time to meet Steve at the track and Damians here for just a few days and he managed to jump the waiting list!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 05:23 PM
legaleagleboy
8th Gear

Default Best picture of cars and people

nick, thanks for the correction -- now sorted (i am learning the number plate block out technique so I might be your man)

steve's car is a real flyer, he has set the standard for all of us, should find out where he is tracking next and meet up. My next outing is Bedford again on 24th April, with the same outfit.

best picture of cars and people (number plates painted out).

left to right
nick, paul f, damian, paul h, del, dave, james
Old 02-29-2004, 09:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

This is so kool, I am totally jealous!
Well you guys can draw your own conclusions now what Damian is all about. He will always be very well respected for his knowledge, respect for others and great spirit. I am glad you guys were able to meet him.
Nice to see you guys showed him a wonderful time. I am tempted to try a trip now .
Nick, look for me on IM and send me the files through yahoo or you can zip them.
Raj
Old 03-01-2004, 05:58 AM
legaleagleboy
8th Gear

Still buzzing from Saturday -- hard to get down to my work, loads of invoicing to do today!!

paul

ps Damian about your next trip over -- is it in July?, please advise & we will find a suitable venue -- and perhaps we will do it again with some more honorary guests from the US -- the more the merrier.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Paul, it's looking like September-won't know the dates for quite some time-once again, an absolute blast. When people asked me what I did the first day in London they're quite surprised at the answer! Of course, that is the last time I'll get to myself this week-I'm at the business office during my lunch hour! I did get to see the IRL race on the 'telly' last night, Hornish just pipped Helio then I went to bed! Raj, eat your heart out!

Last edited by Damian in NJ; 03-01-2004 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: London visit