To Tint or not to Tint - that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:32 PM
rwodabek
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To Tint or not to Tint - that is the question

Hey all,

In all my previous cars (non-porsche) I've always tinted my windows. Mostly because I've had black cars and I've always liked the look of tint on black cars. But I'm torn when it comes to my 968. I'd like to get the tint but don't want to ruin the fact that it's pretty much stock. I used to tint my other cars so they would look better. So, the question is : does tint cheapen the car?

Richard.

PS If anyone has pics on a black 968 with tint - that would help me decide.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always avoided tints on cars as I know cops don't like them, and I want every edge I can get to avoid a ticket. In addition, the complex rear hatch must be a bitch to get tinted right-so I didn't do my coupe, and won't do the cab either.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Tony@GKF
Intermediate

I don't think it looks cheap at all and why would a cop think otherwise becuase the windows on your car are tinted If you get pulled over, the the only way you're going to get out of a ticket is if you talk your way out of it. I have always tinted my cars and although I don't own a 968 yet, I will tint the windows 50% all around once I do find one.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
rwodabek
Racer

Damian: you make a good point about the rear hatch. My defrosters aren't really working now so either I forget about getting them to work or get it fixed before any tinting. As for the cop thing, I figure if I don't drive too fast then they really shouldn't need to pull me over. Although I did have a couple of cruisers pull me over last summer. Turns out he was a P-car fan and chatted me up for 10 minutes about his buddys burned up 911. Better than getting a ticket!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Greimann
Advanced

I bought my car with tinting on all windows, but removed it from the hatch because it occluded the view out of the back . The tint was very smooth and expertly done, but because of the angle of sight through the plastic, the view out of the rear view mirror was fuzzy and it was difficult to determine if the car behind me was an officer of the law, or a Crown Vic with a luggage rack.

Also know that if you tint the hatch, and later remove it, 99% chance the defroster will be dead. The adhesive will remove the conductive material.

Here is a link to a picture of side window tint. http://home.earthlink.net/~dvgreiman.../968side_l.jpg
Old 01-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Ken968
Instructor

When I bought my car it was already tinted. I haven't gotten pulled over for it, but I dont drive my car everyday either. I dont think it cheapens the car at all if done right. This being said I honestly dont know if I would tint the car out if it wasn't there in the 1st place. I do like that since my car is black at night the tint sorta blends with the car and looks a little darker. Also I can see just fine out of the back hatch, or maybe I just got use to it being there. Who knows?

Ken968
Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 AM
9SIXTY8
Advanced

Im in Florida so I Tinted my windows...and i wish the previous owner had done it because the Florida sun is brutal on the interior!... The top of my door pannels are cracked and discolored. I got the highest quality tint. It is smokey with a slight mirror to it (Not a ricey mirror)
Old 01-19-2004, 01:34 PM
rwodabek
Racer

Hey 9SIXTY8, that's exactly why I used to tint my cars. I only bought black/black cars and this is my first one with leather. It can get quite hot in the summer. Although thats a fading memory with this cold weather we're having up here. I'm thinking I'm leaning toward getting it tinted.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

To tint or not?
Not, is my preference. The factory glass already has a fair amount of tint in it. Enough for Ontario, one would think! Personally, I like the subtle contrast of the blueish stock glass against the exterior finish. YMMV.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Ryan S.
Racer

tint, it saves your interior.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:38 AM
EEZATOY
Advanced

When I got my coupe this summer I had my the rear quarters and hatch tinted when I put in a keyless remote locking system. The tint is 30% and I think it looks great on a Black coupe - I live in sacramento and the summer temps routinley in the 90 to 100 degrees - way to much glass in the back not to tint...

I have had no problem with the defroster and it works great on toning down the headlights of the cars behind you at night (mines a daily driver). It also conceals the contents of your hatch (bonus). And I got a great deal when I did both - helps to know the fleet manager ;-)

Aside question - I 've seen a couple of pictures of coupes with cargo nets in the back, was that a factory option and can one still get them? Thanks

Sam
Old 01-26-2004, 03:57 PM
rwodabek
Racer

Got any pics eezatoy?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:17 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Got a new digital for xmas - still playing with it but I'll try and get some and post them tomorrow??
Old 02-01-2004, 04:50 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Richard, sending you some pic via email - I don't have a place to host them yet... it was cloudy - (not very good light) one pic form the inside looking out the back. Hope it gives you and idea of how it looks
Sam
Old 02-01-2004, 04:57 PM
rwodabek
Racer

That's great Sam, thanks. Looking forward to it.

Richard.

Quick Reply: To Tint or not to Tint - that is the question