Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Help! 968 Cab top power vs manual.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! 968 Cab top power vs manual.

How does one raise and lower the top manually if the power is disabled?
What is the best method of disabling the power? A fuse? Other? There must be tons written about this but I can't seem to find it. I've had 9 cabs and never run across the need much less the solution. Thanx in advance.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

FLT, while i have not this before it is in the owners manual to close it. Before you do anything check this out:

http://www.968.net/forum/topics/brok...ource=activity
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Thanx spark to you and those who participated in the 968.net discussion. The owner's manual only explains how to get the top back up but not down again. I want to go full manual so I can get the top back and forth or does that "one time" bolt mess things up.
The discussion does not make it clear how to bypass power and land at full manual. Also, how do i know with the top currently up that there is not already damage to rails or motor or other assembly items? I guess slow lowering and observation will handle that unless there is another way of knowing.
In summary, how do I go full manual with a top that is presently power disabled and has apparently not been lowered for 8 years? Then is it likely it will go up evenly for secure attachment and window placement?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

When you follow the procedure to disconnect the arms per factory manual, the top then goes into manual mode. It can be either dropped or pulled. Keep in mind, getting it back to power mode might not be as simple as tightening the 17mm bolts. There is alignment necessary to make sure both sides pull at the same time.

In my opinion, just disconnect the fuse. Another option would be to disconnect the power top button, which requires more work.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:42 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
When you follow the procedure to disconnect the arms per factory manual, the top then goes into manual mode. It can be either dropped or pulled. Keep in mind, getting it back to power mode might not be as simple as tightening the 17mm bolts. There is alignment necessary to make sure both sides pull at the same time.
I just went through "re-powering" a 968 cab top. IF you can find someone who can do the job, expect to spend around $400 so be sure you want to do this.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Thanx Raj and Jeff for additional input.
Update: Unclamped top. Set key to proper position. Freed from set position. Engaged top down power switch. Nothing happened. Obviously disengaged. Manually moved top in rearward direction as tho to open. Top stopped movement about 5 inches from windshield top and refused further movement. Did not want to force it. Anybody with ideas for next step? Want to open top completely and then be able to to reup it manually and use it that way until………
Thanx
Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT951
Thanx Raj and Jeff for additional input.
Update: Unclamped top. Set key to proper position. Freed from set position. Engaged top down power switch. Nothing happened. Obviously disengaged. Manually moved top in rearward direction as tho to open. Top stopped movement about 5 inches from windshield top and refused further movement. Did not want to force it. Anybody with ideas for next step? Want to open top completely and then be able to to reup it manually and use it that way until………
Thanx
You might need to loosen the bolt further. That would be my 1st guess.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 PM
culture
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

be careful with the loosening the bolts. an out of alignment top can lead to a very expensive bow breaking. not an issue if you STAY in manual operation or as previously stated if you want to have it powered, have it aligned by a shop. a used bow can go for >$900 and can be hard to source.

Quick Reply: Help! 968 Cab top power vs manual.