Looking for: Unique color 968 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for: Unique color 968 coupe

Hi all,

Been away from the 968 scene for a bit, looking to get back in.

In search of a unique exterior color 968 6spd coupe - no black, no white, no red, no silver, no aventurine green, no cassis, no midnight blue, no slate. Ideally something amethyst, amaranth, Riviera, speed yellow, mint, cobalt, maritime, violet, etc. No automatic, 6spd only. Overall condition is definitely a consideration - not necessary to be concours, needing a little TLC is quite alright. Of course, concours is a plus! Options are irrelevant at this stage - exterior color is top priority.

I know it's strange, but!

Thanks for any hints, tips, leads - shoot me a PM if you have any guidance!

Jim C
Old 09-29-2017, 09:49 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim C
Hi all,

In search of a unique exterior color 968 6spd coupe - no black, no white, no red, no silver, no aventurine green, no cassis, no midnight blue, no slate. Ideally something amethyst, amaranth, Riviera, speed yellow, mint, cobalt, maritime, violet, etc. No automatic, 6spd only. Overall condition is definitely a consideration - not necessary to be concours, needing a little TLC is quite alright. Of course, concours is a plus! Options are irrelevant at this stage - exterior color is top priority.

Jim C
Might be a long search here. And when one does pop up a good chance it will be ragged out.
Ever considered importing? I see some unique ones on AutoScout in Europe quite a bit. Don't know how big a hassle it would be.

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=327550107

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=296727490

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=327839319
Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim C
Hi all,

Jim C

Jim,

I'm not sure if you have seen this but just so you know what you are up against:

http://968register.org/production-data/coupes/

The horizon blue M030 was just recently for sale. I'm not sure if it sold. Nice rare car, color, and sport seats.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Jim,

The horizon blue M030 was just recently for sale. I'm not sure if it sold. Nice rare car, color, and sport seats.

Jeff
Jeff, you list that there is only 1 horizon blue M030 car. The one that was recently for sale (which sold) did not have sport seats.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Might be a long search here. And when one does pop up a good chance it will be ragged out.
Ever considered importing? I see some unique ones on AutoScout in Europe quite a bit. Don't know how big a hassle it would be.

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=327550107

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=296727490

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=327839319
Thanks - I've certainly thought about importing. Two issues are some years would still require federalization before the car would be allowed to be driven on our roads (not doing federalization!) - and I don't know if I could still bring one over and let it sit in my garage while I wait for the statute to expire, and I really have no experience on where to begin. Would love to hire a company to handle it all and get me a car if it would result in what I wanted.

Agreed a lot of the examples in the US are in sad shape. But, there are gems out there. Need to find them and convince the owners to part with them. There was a decent looking amethyst example for sale in the classified, but I think it has sold. I PM'd and emailed the seller with no response as of yet. The ultra-low mileage SY M030 coupe was for sale by CJ Wilson's auto group, but that one was out of my price range. I'm willing to pay top dollar but that one was an outlier for me.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Jim,

I'm not sure if you have seen this but just so you know what you are up against:

http://968register.org/production-data/coupes/

Jeff
Oh yeah, I've perused the registry often - excellent work by the way!

The odd colors are out there - not quite a needle in a haystack, but damn close. Based on the number of US coupes, colors I'd want amount to roughly 3.6% of the total sold in the US!!! Good gawd!

Don't know about the horizon blue one...
Old 09-29-2017, 04:26 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
Jeff, you list that there is only 1 horizon blue M030 car. The one that was recently for sale (which sold) did not have sport seats.
Correct, I thought it did. It did have LSD though!
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Just a Thurs morning bump...

Lots of unique 968's in Europe - just not favorable to import yet. The 25 year rule is in effect for MY92 so relatively easy to get a ROW '92. I'll hold out for a US one for as long as I can!!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Since anyone has yet to mention, the rarest of the rare Speed Yellow coupes is for sale in California. That is, if you are willing to toss down 75 large...
Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

That low mileage SY 968, for sure, is incredible - one I would gladly own.

For that sum, certainly a high water mark for a US coupe, I would expect it to be "original." It is not and that, for me, is a detractor. It does not come with the original 17" cup wheels nor does it come with the original black leather seats. The SY shift **** is also not present, but we all know where one could find it if needed!!!! I verified all of this with the dealership.

Would I love to have the CS seats and the Speedline wheels? Hell yes I would and original CS seats are all but non-existent. But, for me, originality is paramount for the price. Could I obtain the seats and wheels, yup. But getting a set of seats commensurate with the mileage of the car would be very tricky. Wheels, I believe, are still available new from Porsche. So figure another 6-10K to get it back to original. Then sell the Speedlines and possibly the CS seats to recoup money. Again, spending that kind of money, I'd rather it be concours to start with.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky... and I'm still thinking about it. It might have sold too, not sure as I haven't checked in a few days. Damn it - now I have to go check!

Just my opinions.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

And to continue being nitpicky - does not come with the original radio as far as I know. Again, not a big deal, but another thing to track down and address. Also would want to know if the harness were compromised. I doubt it was though. The one owner seemed to be pretty proactive with that stuff since the Speedlines and CS seats are originals.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

I totally understand Jim but the money does work.

As for the seats, if cared for, leather seats can look great even with more mileage on them. That car had the later model 993 comfort style sort seats in partial leather. A very nice set is probably worth about $3k.

Now those hardbacks are very valuable and desirable. I would say they are worth about $6k.

As for the wheels, 17" x7.5/9 Cups aren't that hard to find. Used, maybe $800 for a nice set. New, about $3k.

Those speedlines are again, very valuable and desirable. I would say they are worth $5k, maybe $6k.

So, IMHO, you had plenty of money to fund the return to stock and still have money left over.

IMHO, that coupe is the most desirable "factory stock" North American 968 produced. Add in the mileage, it is at the top of the hill for sure. It has M030, sunroof delete, the color, and the options. So I think it is worth close to the asking.

As for the final missing piece, that shift ****, I've heard the current owner would love to see it back on the original car so that should not be too much of an issue either.

IMHO.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I hear ya Jim, but I could easily get past the seats and the wheels and in fact prefer it as it is to how it was. But as I do when I modify my cars, I take the original part or parts, mark them as to the VIN that they came from (necessary when you have 5 968s) and store them away. Then a donor part is found to modify or replace what I removed from the car.

If this car were supplied with all of its originals it would certainly be more attractive, but for me there remains the issue of what to do with the car. If one put it into daily use, IMHO it begins to devalue with every mile and every stone chip. If it goes into another collection then great, but the enjoyment is then only in the ownership and an occasional drive around the block unless it is trailered all over the country to show.

I do hope it ends up in the right hands and the person that I suggested should purchase it will likely see this posting.

Cliff
Old 10-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Jim C
Rennlist Member

Cliff/Jeff - Totally agree. Like I said, just being nitpicky. Hopefully somebody does snag it before I do something stupid...!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:50 PM
tony968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did one of you guys end up with this car?

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/936609-why-hasn-t-anyone-bought-this-yellow-968-yet.html

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Looking for: Unique color 968 coupe