964 turbo 3.6 shows its teeth!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 01:26 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 964 turbo 3.6 shows its teeth!

Hi everyone,

just got back from a Porsche Club (Cyprus) event up in the mountains and wanted to share my enthusiasm with you.

Attendants included quite a few hairdressers' Porsches(i.e. Boxters /S) a couple of 996 turbo's, a rather nice and rare 930 turbo 3.3 cabrio slantnose and various other 911's, 996's and 944's of various ages and of course my friend's (fearsome?) GT3. Some of the owners / drivers are either race drivers or have had some form of race/track training. However, the turbo 3.6 gave them all but the GT3 a good blow.

Absolutely fantastic race on public,winding and narrow roads, I overtook every single Porsche except the GT3 but I was pushing it really hard and kept pace - right on the GT3's tail. And George was really pushing the GT3. I didn't get a chance to overtake as the roads were pretty narrow and winding, with very short straights and fairly limited visibility. Nearing the destination where we were going to have lunch, the GT3's engine temp rose to near the red and my turbo 3.6's brake fluid had boiled!

Every single driver/co-driver attending the event and arriving (about 6-7 minutes after the GT3 and the turbo 3.6) was so puzzled (knowing the GT3's and its driver's abilities) and yet so excited at the result.

Everybody was asking about and taking pictures of my turbo 3.6, inspecting its every curve (as most had not seen my car before). I was however, very, very impressed by my car's handling, roadholding and in my opinion fantastic levels of grip and -I will dare say - predictability. Very smooth powerslides!! FANTASTIC DAY, the turbo 3.6 was the centre of attention and admiration.

I would not swap my turbo 3.6 with ANY car in the world - I am just replacing my brake fluid to ATE Blue Racing.

964 TURBO 3.6 (STILL) RULES

Best regards and happy 964 turbo motoring!

Emilios
Old 05-10-2003, 04:50 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by emilios:
<strong>Hi everyone,

Attendants included quite a few hairdressers' Porsches(i.e. Boxters /S)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Anyone that calls a Boxster or Boxster S or any Porsche for that matter a "hairdressers" car loses all respect from me.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
emilios,
I totally agree with you 100%. The 964 turbo 3.6 is so characterfull and it does rule. It's my favourite.
I've ran against a 996 GT3 and pulled away from it slowly. But than again my car weighs nothing and I'm producing 450fwhp at just 0.9 bar.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Randy
Instructor

As my Austrian friend puts it, how about "haus-frau porsche" (Boxsters)?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Frank Sinatra
Racer

Anyone who drives a Turbo 3.6 gains all respect from me.

Later Frankie S.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Sameer
Race Car

If only I had a 3.6 turbo, I'd put in the 3.8 P&C kit, muffler, headers, 0.9 bar spring, FEC and the small little things. The 3.6 already comes with the K27 7006 and the bigger intercooler. All set to go.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Sorry how can I forget, I'd just convert it to a Ruf, I know it's not pure but I know I'm crazy enough to do it.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:15 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Sameer:
<strong>If only I had a 3.6 turbo, I'd put in the 3.8 P&C kit, muffler, headers, 0.9 bar spring, FEC and the small little things. The 3.6 already comes with the K27 7006 and the bigger intercooler. All set to go.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Dear Sameer,

I am already in the process of fully upgrading to the S spec, including mechanics and bodywork. However, I would be interested in all those abbreviations you use in your message, provided I knew what they were! Could you provide a few more details and contact addresses/numbers/websites please?

Also thank you very much Frank Sinatra.

Lastly, the reasons I am so much against the Boxter are, IMHO:
1) I totally despise the looks (in profile view one cannot distinguish the front from the rear)

2) Way too easy to drive and exploit its potential (just like so many SO-CALLED supercars nowadays-even Ferraris) - literally anyone can exploit its limits and -even worse-start acting/behaving like a pro!

3) Made the Porsche brand so plentiful on the roads-lost all exclusivity and prestige for the marque.

4) Very poor build quality - the engines of all the ones attending the said event overheated! A simple closing of one of the doors and no doubt you will see what I mean.

5) At the said event every Boxter driver was so keen and anxious to race / put up with / overtake the turbo 3.6 - but they ALL ate my dust!!

Anyway many thanks, best regards and happy Porsche turbo motoring.

Emilios
Old 05-12-2003, 05:39 PM
RobertG
Racer

hey! I havea Boxster S ! and I dont have enough hair to go to or even be called a hair dresser!,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,Honestly, Given the right track configuration. I'd school your 3.6L any day in my Hair dresser's Porsche.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:41 PM
RobertG
Racer

3) Made the Porsche brand so plentiful on the roads-lost all exclusivity and prestige for the marque.
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Ever heard of the Cayenne?&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

....P.S. I also have a 911 Turbo,,,,,
Old 05-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Sameer
Race Car

emilios,
P&C kit: Piston & Cylinder kit
FEC: Fuel enrichment controller.

You should contact Stephen of <a href="http://www.imagineauto.com" target="_blank">www.imagineauto.com</a>
Most would recomend you to him. Very knowledgeble and good workmanship at a good price.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:53 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RobertG:
<strong>hey! I havea Boxster S ! and I dont have enough hair to go to or even be called a hair dresser!,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,Honestly, Given the right track configuration. I'd school your 3.6L any day in my Hair dresser's Porsche. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Dear Robert,

As far as I know, the amount of hair one has, is no limitation to become a hairdresser, if you are still interested..

Given the right track conditions? Yes, similar to being stuck in traffic.. and a pedestrian overtakes me...

Have you driven the Cayenne, or have you even seen it in the flesh? Take a Cayenne turbo for a spin and you"ll see what it is. Track it next to your Boxter S ...

You say you also own a 911 turbo? Good for you. Why on earth did you get a Boxter S as well then? Were you not happy with the turbo?
Old 05-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Boxster?Hmmm no comments. I'm a big fan of the 911 turbo especially the 964 3.3 Turbo S and the 964 3.6 Turbo. Yes the Boxster may be a good car on track but nothing beats the classic 911 turbo in style and character "IMHO" and I think most would agree with me, no matter which is quicker on track.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:27 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by fc-racer:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by emilios:
<strong>Hi everyone,

Attendants included quite a few hairdressers' Porsches(i.e. Boxters /S)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Anyone that calls a Boxster or Boxster S or any Porsche for that matter a "hairdressers" car loses all respect from me.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree...

Is the 944 a hairdressers car too? Because it was cheap and lots of people drove them? Because it saved Porsche's rear-end from getting taken over in the 80's...

And you know what...the same can be said for the boxster....and perhaps now the Cayenne as well.

If it wasn't for these cars the purebred sports cars that you love would never be created by Porsche.

Also, Take it to the track...I honestly cant believe that what you're talking about was a PCA event.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:37 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Dear Adrial,

It was never my intention to offend in any way anyone not owning a 911 (turbo), however, I was really upset at the event when all (and I mean all!) Boxter owners had that boy racer look, acting as if they had just won F1, even with their engine temperatures at or just below red. I absolutely hate it when drivers whose cars do or correct everything for them and are so damn easy to drive. They are neither true thoroughbreds nor supercars. IMHO Boxters are just a cheap(?), easy and foolproof entry to the Porsche brand. I absolutely hate the looks, as well as the raison d'etre of this model. Ferrari does not follow this logic, does not have the safety/reliability/daily driveability of Porsche and yet sells like hot cakes, is profitable and its cars' secondhand values are almost always skyhigh - undoubtedly rarity value plays its part!

Simply put,(and I do not for a single minute support the following logic) a Ferrari owner, contrary to a Porsche owner, is never asked which model he owns; the Porsche owner always has to answer the question which model he owns and if he mentions anything other than a 911 then usually the reply to his answer is at least a grin of dissappointment on the face.

The 944, especially the turbo needed concentration and even some basic driving skill and ability to extract its performance and enjoy it - the Boxter I'm afraid doesn't.

Anyway, call me whatever you like, but to me the last of the true thoroughbred Porsches was the 993 turbo (especially the rare S). The only one of the current sports model range (remember there's also the Cayenne turbo which I am really obsessed with) that I could consider buying is the GT2.

Best regards

Emilios

P.S. Yes, the event was organised by the local Porsche Club with the support and presence of the Official Porsche dealer. The roads we used are very demanding with short straights and many many bends up in the mountains, and with ambient temperatures reaching 38 degrees Celsius.

Quick Reply: 964 turbo 3.6 shows its teeth!