Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 turbo 3.6 shows its teeth!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 11:13 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you ever been to the track with your car Emilios?
Old 05-16-2003, 05:28 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as yet in mine, as unfortunately there aren't any tracks over here, however, so far I ve' tracked A964 C2, C4, a 993 C2, and a 944 turbo S quite a few years ago. What is your point?
Old 05-16-2003, 10:17 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the point is you have a jaded view of the world. For a guy that has never driven a Boxster on a track, you sure have a lot of opinions about it.

You also have some strange thoughts about new Porsches. If you were to drive a 996 n/a or turbo on a track, you might change your mind about those models too.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:16 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
If your car is stock .. at the track a new GT3 will blow the doors off of a 3.6 turbo. A 3.6 turbo is a beautiful car .. dont get me wrong ... but it is not in the same league as a new GT3.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:48 AM
PeterV
Intermediate

Guys,

I think we are getting a little emotional and off track, this is after all the 964 Turbo forum so should we not stick to the matter at hand!

This is still a free world, well at least for most of us and therefore any ideas, opinions etc expressed should be aloud to be heard. Some may be unsubstantiated while others are factual, whatever!

Life is short, so lets enjoy what we currently have. I have my own oppinions on other model Porsches....which I will keep to myself in this instance.

Lets not debate which is faster, handles better because at the end of the day even a GT2 in the hands of Mr average [or worse] can be out performed by a car costing much less.

So its all really academic if one model gets to 100kmh in 4.5s or 4.1s isn't it?

Here in Sydney Australia, the parliament is about to vote to change all the current 60kmh zones [most of the streets in the CBD area] to 50kmh !!

I repeat, a bit academic now.

I logon to this forum just about daily with anticipation of seeing technical questions/answers or the results of someone's track day, you all know what I mean.

So on with the show.

Peterv
93 Turbo 3.6
Old 05-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emotions, emotions, emotions, why do so many Rennlisters get so bent out of shape when their favorite P-car model gets the tiniest bit of criticism?.

It's crazy. It happens on here daily. Remember people, these are just cars we're talking about.

The 944's and Boxsters do handle great and can be made to perform better etc. You know how many Porsche owners mod and track their cars? I bet less then 1%. When it's all said and done the 911 is the total package Porsche. It has been since 1965 and it still is in 2003. Why this is so hard to accept I don't know.

emilios, hit the nail on the head by saying, </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">a Ferrari owner, contrary to a Porsche owner, is never asked which model he owns; the Porsche owner always has to answer the question which model he owns and if he mentions anything other than a 911 then usually the reply to his answer is at least a grin of disappointment on the face.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Sorry, but that's just the way it is.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:47 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

and here we thought this thread was dead... Emilios comments were harsh and of course would upset a Boxster driver. I can understand the genesis of his comment. Porsche has always tried to build less expensive entry level cars to remain a growing and profitable concern: 912, 914, 944, Boxster... These cars were generally easiler to drive and maintain and less expensive. Beginning with the 993 TT we even have seen the "easier to drive" thing go to the head of the pack. The 003 doesn't feel anywhere near as light as the 993 C2S, 964 and earlier cars. The newer turbos don;t turn in as well or have the steering feel of the earlier cars. As a matter of personal preference, I prefer the earlier "sports" Porsches over the newer very fast "Grand Touring" Porsches. They may lap a track faster in stock form, but, as someone else said, they feel a bit like a Lexus. They lost the light sports feel that Porsche and Lotus always had. Now, I'm not sure that stock-for-stock comparisons are at all fair.

I think that you should take a 964 Turbo and mod it to say 400 crank horsepower and then run it against a 993 Turbo with 400 crank horsepower. Which one would win on a track? I don't know, but know that this would at least be a fair comparison. I suspect it would be very close. You see, comparing a 315-355 horsepower car with a 400 hporsepower car doesn't tell us anything about the car, now does it? If the car has more horsepower or a better horsepower to weight ratio, it ought to go faster...

In fact, it would be fair to take the lower weight 964 and get the hp to 400 and compare it to the 993 TT with 400 hp. Who said the car has to weigh more? Why not keep it light and add power? The only reason for the 993 TT weighing more is the 200 pounds of all wheel drive, which of course allows more average drivers to use the power... But, it was Porsche's choice to go that way toi broaden their sales base.

The only differences in the 964 vs 993 (or 996 for that matter) that count are the basic engine, the basic suspension, and the weight. If the independent rear of the 993 makes a difference, then you can't modify the 964 easily to have that characteristic. Everything else can be changed: power, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc. Only the basics make any real difference.

Oh well, I still am wrestling with the problem of choosing between the 964 3.6 Turbo and the 993 TT. I still think I prefer the 964. My friends tell me I'm nuts and top get the 993. Interesting that I read an article a while ago on the 993 TT and the author was saying that you'd better have it pooited where you want it to go when you floor it, because it understeered so badly. That's why I like the964...
Old 05-26-2003, 11:24 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

and here we thought this thread was dead... Emilios comments were harsh and of course would upset a Boxster driver. I can understand the genesis of his comment. Porsche has always tried to build less expensive entry level cars to remain a growing and profitable concern: 912, 914, 944, Boxster... These cars were generally easiler to drive and maintain and less expensive. Beginning with the 993 TT we even have seen the "easier to drive" thing go to the head of the pack. The 003 doesn't feel anywhere near as light as the 993 C2S, 964 and earlier cars. The newer turbos don;t turn in as well or have the steering feel of the earlier cars. As a matter of personal preference, I prefer the earlier "sports" Porsches over the newer very fast "Grand Touring" Porsches. They may lap a track faster in stock form, but, as someone else said, they feel a bit like a Lexus. They lost the light sports feel that Porsche and Lotus always had. Now, I'm not sure that stock-for-stock comparisons are at all fair.

I think that you should take a 964 Turbo and mod it to say 400 crank horsepower and then run it against a 993 Turbo with 400 crank horsepower. Which one would win on a track? I don't know, but know that this would at least be a fair comparison. I suspect it would be very close. You see, comparing a 315-355 horsepower car with a 400 hporsepower car doesn't tell us anything about the car, now does it? If the car has more horsepower or a better horsepower to weight ratio, it ought to go faster...

In fact, it would be fair to take the lower weight 964 and get the hp to 400 and compare it to the 993 TT with 400 hp. Who said the car has to weigh more? Why not keep it light and add power? The only reason for the 993 TT weighing more is the 200 pounds of all wheel drive, which of course allows more average drivers to use the power... But, it was Porsche's choice to go that way toi broaden their sales base.

The only differences in the 964 vs 993 (or 996 for that matter) that count are the basic engine, the basic suspension, and the weight. If the independent rear of the 993 makes a difference, then you can't modify the 964 easily to have that characteristic. Everything else can be changed: power, shocks, springs, sway bars, etc. Only the basics make any real difference.

Oh well, I still am wrestling with the problem of choosing between the 964 3.6 Turbo and the 993 TT. I still think I prefer the 964. My friends tell me I'm nuts and top get the 993. Interesting that I read an article a while ago on the 993 TT and the author was saying that you'd better have it pooited where you want it to go when you floor it, because it understeered so badly. That's why I like the964...
Old 06-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

Vre Emilios - Try it in NYC! Where are you? Larnaca? Sounds like fun.

Peter Stavropoulos
Old 06-03-2003, 01:33 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Hello Peter,

yep, correct!

Regards

Emilios

Quick Reply: 964 turbo 3.6 shows its teeth!