964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

It's mine!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 12:05 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking It's mine!

I couldn't wait the extra day, and since the paperwork and the car were both ready, I picked it up today.

Heaven, pure heaven...
Old 01-25-2002, 12:15 PM
930 Turbo
Advanced

Greg,

Congrats. I too have notices this car for some time - great colour combo.

My speed yellow Turbo one will be ready in a few weeks.

Narinder
Old 01-25-2002, 03:27 PM
greg1234
Racer

Angry

The waiting really hurts, doesn't it..?
Old 01-25-2002, 09:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 595 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally posted by greg1234:
<STRONG>The waiting really hurts, doesn't it..? </STRONG>
Greg, you think you've got it tough.

I bought my car in NZ in October, drove it for 2 1/2 days then went back to Vanuatu for three months; back to NZ at Xmas for 3 weeks and now slated to drive the car for only a further two weeks until November. The moral of the story is don't buy a car in one country while you live and work in another.

Remember to use the turbo at least once on each drive (keeps moisture out of the wastegate).

My favourite part of the car so far is sitting on 60mph in third and planting boot, the word "ballistic" best describes the feeling.

Another favourite is taking off in second and just watching how high the speedo level goes before you have to change up.

Enjoy.

Old 01-26-2002, 07:37 AM
greg1234
Racer

Wow.. that sounds terrible.

Is the problem that you can't ship it to the islands, or that there aren't any useful roads there to drive it on?

(Although I'm sure it makes the experience more magical when you do get back to the car)
Old 01-26-2002, 05:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by greg1234:
<strong>Wow.. that sounds terrible.

Is the problem that you can't ship it to the islands, or that there aren't any useful roads there to drive it on?

(Although I'm sure it makes the experience more magical when you do get back to the car)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I bought the car as my end of contract present (my Bank was taken over). Unfortunately, the new owners wouldn't give me the flick and cough up my expected severance pay...so I'm stuck here until November when I get it by right.

Vanuatu drives on the left hand and the roads are abominable so no point bringing it up here.

The angst over three months was unbearable coming up to Xmas, but that magical sight when the garage door lifted was worth it. The only thing I'd change about the car is the lack of engine noise. I think I'll install a J pipe in the near future.

BTW: My 5 year old son used a Renault (branded) baby seat in the back on my car. Not a perfect fit, but seemed secure enough. Can't see any way to fit a capsule for our new baby though.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:01 PM
greg1234
Racer

Ah, I see. Bummer.

I get such a thrill knowing it's there, lurking in the garage, and any time I want I can go down and take a peek. Just as well really - with the sort of weather we've had today it's no fun to take it out. And it's due to carry on for the next week.

Thanks for the info on the child seat; I'll follow it up. Makes me mad though - what's the point in giving full details of the car to a dealer if they're still going to give you something that isn't suitable.

So as of now I still haven't been able to experience full boost with no passengers...

Oh BTW - mine has a sports exhaust and it does make an awesome noise. It's exactly what I was looking for - I wanted the whole experience, not just speed. The weird thing is that the second owner of the car had a sports exhaust fitted - and then a couple of years later one of the other owners had exhaust tail pipes fitted. Not quite sure what was going on, or what combination I've finally ended up with. But I guess the salient points are (a) they're shiny and (b) they make nice noises. Or, to be pedantic about it - one of them makes a nice noise. The other one is just turbo wastegate venting, as I understand it. And on the overrun I get a nice crackling and popping sounds. Very nice.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:18 PM
greg1234
Racer

Although it looks like you're getting some pretty heavy weather too, Big Mac...! At least as far as Aneityum goes.....
Old 01-26-2002, 09:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by greg1234:
<strong>Although it looks like you're getting some pretty heavy weather too, Big Mac...! At least as far as Aneityum goes.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

The tropics are fairly fickle when bad weather is around i.e. some islands get a downpour and 50 miles away it's dry. Today is overcast, humid and 32C; give me a dry day in NZ @ 24C any day....add a windy country road with the sunroof open, the birds chirping and it doesn't get any better.

The first 964 I tested ('89 C4) had a trombone exaust, lovely to listen to, but ultimately too loud for long trips. I want the turbo vent mod, so it only sounds angry when I'm in the same mood. Got to stop talking about the car, it's killing me.

Quick Reply: It's mine!