964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Almost 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:06 PM
HYK123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

situation fixed

Last edited by HYK123; 04-20-2008 at 05:39 AM. Reason: stephen from ia . said he would fix situation
Old 04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Thats unreal HYK, what are you having done to it????

JERRY
Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 PM
HYK123
Instructor

waiting on resolve

Last edited by HYK123; 04-20-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

3 years? Unbelievable!!!

I don't have any good experience with IA either although my issue is almost negligible compared to yours. I purchased a pressure plate from IA and it broke. Of course my mechanic blamed the manufacturer of the pressure plate and Stephen blamed my mechanic. I asked Stephen to send it back to the manufacturer for a warranty claim. He said he did and they told him that it was not their fault. Of course they told him this over the phone. I asked him for a written statement so that I could take it up with my mechanic and he told me that I would have it in a couple of days. Guess what, never heard from Stephen again and he doesn't respond to my emails. I ordered other parts from him as well at that time and that didn't go smoothly either. Good luck with your car.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
HYK123
Instructor

I have some hope from Stephen. A little light , somethings better then nothing. I'll keep updates
Old 04-20-2008, 04:32 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is almost finished and its been a couple of years, so I feel your pain.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry... but *years* to get work done to a car???!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

I think you are being too patient, get some pressure on them. I've never dealt with IA but have heard a lot of good feedback about them, so this thread is somewhat unexpected. It would be interesting to hear Stephens views.

Steve
Old 04-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
I think you are being too patient, get some pressure on them. I've never dealt with IA but have heard a lot of good feedback about them, so this thread is somewhat unexpected. It would be interesting to hear Stephens views.

Steve
Steve,

Rennlist is a great resource for technical information, but not so great with respect to questions regarding the reputations of the site sponsors. Many members will post their good experiences with site sponsors, but very few will dare to post anything negative about a site sponsor. For those that do post anything less than positive, censorship and forum bans are in order. I'm not complaining, I'm just making a point for those people that are trying to make informed decisions.

I have dealt with IA.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Steve,

Rennlist is a great resource for technical information, but not so great with respect to questions regarding the reputations of the site sponsors. Many members will post their good experiences with site sponsors, but very few will dare to post anything negative about a site sponsor. For those that do post anything less than positive, censorship and forum bans are in order. I'm not complaining, I'm just making a point for those people that are trying to make informed decisions.

I have dealt with IA.
I fully agree with you Steve. That said, I have named & shamed on forums, and also threatened (and in some cases actioned) court proceedings. This has resulted in settlements being achieved and also warned others of incompetent suppliers.

NB: I am not talking about IA.

And yes, I have had comments or threads censored/removed on UK sites. (and indeed rennlist - eg. my B&B headers saga?)

Last edited by 911addict; 04-20-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:43 AM
red9thirty
Racer

"For those that do post anything less than positive, censorship and forum bans are in order."

"And yes, I have had comments or threads censored/removed."

Has anyone heard from - HYK123?

Just curious how it got "fixed"?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Folks,

The issues surrounding the original EFI kits released is nothing new. We built the first kits and they worked well, then brought it to market. Switched to a newer style ECU offered and spent almost 12 months trying to troubleshoot issues that plagued the system. Why not just buy another ECU and dump what you have, well when you buy a whole lot of them and they don’t return them you don’t exactly throw thousands and thousands of dollars away. During this time people wanted to send their cars. Many were asked not to because the situation was not sorted and the back log was becoming large quickly. We also at that time did not know what was causing the issues nor how long they were going to take. I spent time on the scope and with the cars daily trying to solve the issue. The kit had to be perfect. There was no question about this.

This car was contracted through another company and brought down to us in the midst of these issues. So his order to be worked on is at it was received. The car ahead of him is complete and ready for pick up minus the detail in May. We had 12 cars come in during this time. I am embarrassed to say how long some of the cars were in the shop awaiting the kit. Many were asked to not send or wait and many chose to bring them since we have a large shop and could simply store it until the situation was corrected. Considering each kit takes between 3-4 months or longer depending on the scope of the project this put us dearly behind for some time. So yes, 2 years later Haroon was without his car. Because the kit for him was sold through another company and not us Haroon was not on our radar to call weekly to give updates. It was not until recently that he was aware of what was going on for what ever reason and we established contact. He is now aware of the issues, the time frames and the work involved. His car has been started but not completed, obviously. There are aspects to the kits that only I perform which spreads things sometimes thin. Issues have come up with other kits and things like modifying the flywheel, making custom inlets, changing turbos, cams etc have all played into this time frame. The one thing I can tell you is that the time frame may seem long but the end result is what counts. Phil, Scott and many others on these boards will verify the results they have had. All have been delivered more than they had requested.

Are we perfect, no and is this situation bad. Well, no and maybe not. If you want something done by various shops on certain models there is a 2 year wait. This situation is a little different because I had not talked with Haroon directly nor was he aware of these issues for some time. Now that we are on the same page we know when he is going to be complete and he is aware of what has actually been completed on his car. He like many others have been offered to come get the car and I will return it to its previous state. All have declined.

Again, the situation by Phil and many have been very public about the EFI kits. We are moving them out as fast as we can at this point and production has gone way up. This is not something you can rush and just slap in and go. It has to be perfect, it has to be like factory, from the fuel system, diagnostics, starting and running. This is the heart of the motor. There are many who have done conversions, only to be dealing with issues and switched venders three times after 3 blown motors and still have no car. Far longer process than what we have going on. This is not what happens with us. They are done right the first time as many have pointed out.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:01 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobahn
3 years? Unbelievable!!!

I don't have any good experience with IA either although my issue is almost negligible compared to yours. I purchased a pressure plate from IA and it broke. Of course my mechanic blamed the manufacturer of the pressure plate and Stephen blamed my mechanic. I asked Stephen to send it back to the manufacturer for a warranty claim. He said he did and they told him that it was not their fault. Of course they told him this over the phone. I asked him for a written statement so that I could take it up with my mechanic and he told me that I would have it in a couple of days. Guess what, never heard from Stephen again and he doesn't respond to my emails. I ordered other parts from him as well at that time and that didn't go smoothly either. Good luck with your car.

If I stop responding to emails it is because I am not getting them. I spend half my life on emails. You can also always call me or email one of the main mail boxes if in question. The pressure plate was sent back, and yes I did get word that is was structurally fine and the TQ sequence was not followed as the load on the pressure plate was not even which caused it to hang up. Trying to get any things from Sachs verbal or written is near impossible. You requested a replacement ASAP and I got it out to you. The PP its self is a Sach racing piece and not an OEM application which makes communication with them very difficult as I had explained. Since this had not been brought back up I forgot. For that I apologized. I will be more than happy to pursue the written verdict and also supply you with one from us as well. If you are getting bounced emails, PM here and I will take care of it.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
cardsrule
Pro

I had IA do an efi kit on my car( 79 930) a few years ago. It took awhile but has been worth it. I have not had any problems with the kit or the motor since, and I track my car pretty hard. I am in school to become a Porsche technician and have really looked into how the efi kit works compared to cis. There is a lot to this kit. Having to make all the crank, cam and various sensors work isn’t easy. This is all custom stuff, not as easy as throwing some carbs on it. I have been by the shop many times and know that the whole crew at IA work their asses off. Just my 2 cents.

Scott
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
.... For those that do post anything less than positive, censorship and forum bans are in order. .....
Bull****....

I would know - I run the site... If I had a mind to censor any thread/user - I certainly could. I don't.

In fact - if you make up enough "stuff" - I'm certain you could "prove" any conspiracy theory - including your comment "..For those that do post anything less than positive, censorship and forum bans are in order" - which, again - is pure bull****.

You have a nice evening, OK?

John D.

Quick Reply: Almost 3 years