964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

GSF Headers - Group buy - Prices in

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by biglicks
can't you cut off a piece of the old headers heater pipes to fit the larger end?
Good idea! You'd only need a hoop of a couple inches wide to tighten the hose clamp up on!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Here's what looks like a picture of the oil line on a 930 and the bending needed to clear the pipework:

Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 AM
turboholic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Megatron, the brass connection on your oilline is defenitely not stock.
You can see on the other pictures how far the stock line has to be bend up, it is quite a bit, I think the line will still touch the top of the exhaust pipe or the clearance will be very small.
Regarding the cutting of the original heater pipe:
I thought about it, but mabe I want to transfer the car back to stock some day for some reason, so it is not an option for me. The original headers are old but are still in good shape. I am going to tinker something myself.
Here I marked the point where the heaterpipe touches my driveshaft rubber and I also marked the stock oilline, note that the clearance between the right driveshaft and heaterpipe is bigger:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Hmm.. if that's the case and my oil-line is non-standard then I may get away without having to do anything with it - the rubber part of it, though quite substantial, should move up enough to clear the right hand header.

Wonder why someone did that with the oil line though? They must have had to cut and thread the hard line to take the brass adapter.

It looks like the left hand heater pipe clearance must be a manufacturing tolerance issue - it touches on yours and clears on Burmans.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
turboholic
Racer

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
It looks like the left hand heater pipe clearance must be a manufacturing tolerance issue - it touches on yours and clears on Burmans.
Thats what I think too, would be good for you so you dont have the extra welding work to be done. If the pipe would be 2 cm shorter it would fit just fine.

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
Wonder why someone did that with the oil line though? They must have had to cut and thread the hard line to take the brass adapter.
Thats a good question. Maybe it had to be replaced because of a leaking issue or something, or it was rotted on that spot and they decided to shorten it and to fit that brass adapter there (thinking of the excessive spareparts prices that would make sense).
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Anyone else get their headers yet? I sent payment on the 19th and have yet to hear a reply.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

I contacted Albert re mine and he has confirmed postage and given me a tracking number. I expect to get them by end next week. Drop him an email, he responded quickly to me. To be honest while he told me he had them in stock, I think they are being made to order, causing a delay??

Steve
Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Yep, have done and asked for a tracking number... at least that way I can tell when Royal Mail steal them and blackmail me with their usual 'clearance' duty.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

you didn't ask for any special postage treatment?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Originally Posted by biglicks
I contacted Albert re mine and he has confirmed postage and given me a tracking number. I expect to get them by end next week. Drop him an email, he responded quickly to me. To be honest while he told me he had them in stock, I think they are being made to order, causing a delay??

Steve
They are drop shipped direct from Taiwan
Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Update on my headers:

I hadnt started fitting my headers as waiting for Tial wgate to turn up.

After reading all the fittment issues with these GSF's since ordering mine, i have now made the call to order the full B&B header and exhaust kit that IA are currently running a special on. I will now have the proper header designed for the 965t 3.6 and hopefully no ******* around to get them to fit ;-)

My GSF's are now advertised for sale locally.

Oh well its only money......they are still printing the stuff.....
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Clint,

have you read up on the other makes of headers, my understanding they all come with fitting issues regardless? I have heard of cracking issues with the B&B's so wouldn't be a bad idea to hang on to the GSF's for the future. They were cheap enough to store somewhere for now!!

Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 04:53 AM
turboholic
Racer

I also read that the B&B headers fitment isnt so flawless, plus the cracking problems they have. No matter which aftermarket headers you choose in the end, there will always be some mods to do to make them fit.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Moon Drifter
6th Gear

Hi,
This is my first post although I have been lurking on Rennlist for the last 18 months gaining much knowledge from peoples experiences. I am going to post a more detailed account of my experience with performance enhancements, but considered it useful to others to contribute to this post now that I have some very relevant experience.
I own a 1993 Turbo 3.6 and after much evaluation and much re-assurance from Stephen at IA I bought a B&B Full System and requested IA do a full alignment/dimension check on the headers before they were shipped to me in Perth, Australia.
The system was fitted six weeks without any fitment problems whatsoever. My mechanic replaced two items in the fitment kit because he considered that they were not good enough for long term durability:
1. The aluminium adapter for the large oil line connection to the engine was replaced with a steel one because it would not tighten up adequately and
2. The large flexible oil line was replaced with an "Earls" line because the one supplied was too long and also had end fittings that did not look well made.
My experience, so far, with the B&B System has been very good.
Cheers, Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 PM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Hi Mike,

this must be welcome to the list time, hello. Of course as you have been lurking you'll know it is the custom to post pictures of your ride. You may also have seen turbojonny is working on a register for the 3.6 so I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you.

Steve

Quick Reply: GSF Headers - Group buy - Prices in