Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Got a parcel today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 AM
turboholic
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to mention, for the connection of the pipes and heaterhoses (driveshaft side) I used this:

It is a very strong tape and weather- and heatresistant, will use it until I got myself a proper adapter / solution. Maybe Ill try the Samco hose solution as soon as I can buy them somewhere.

Last edited by turboholic; 04-27-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow Joe, only just spotted you haven't dropped the rear bumper to do the mods. Made things much easier when stu and changed out the cat, for access to the turbo bolts.

Good news you are nearly there, can wait to hear how they run.

Steve
Old 04-27-2008, 04:18 AM
turboholic
Racer

It wasnt really necessary to drop the rear bumper, the bolts were fresh because I just lately decatted my car and changed all the turbo bolts. We took out the turbo with the decat pipe still attached to it, dont know if this is possible with the cat and bumper on, the cat is much thicker than the pipe.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:14 PM
turboholic
Racer

Small update, fitted the turbo and also replaced an old L-shape metal pipe that runs from the oiltank to the right side of the crankcase.
The rear heater pipe on the right side will fit to the heat exchanger, the left one is causing trouble, need to get a flexible heat resistant hose about 20 cm long to connect the stock heaterpipe to the GSF heatexchanger. It seems impossible to use the stock heat connecting pipes on the left (turbo) side. Another thing is the wastegate to tailpipe connection. Here you can really see that this header was meant to fit on the 930. Didnt fit it yet but it seems that without a modification the tailpipe will be too far to the left. Maybe my aftermarket wastegate causes this problem but I believe its the headers. I will let you know as soon as I got it fixed.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:33 PM
turboholic
Racer

Here are some pictures that might help the guys from the groupbuy.
Here is the modified turbo support bracket after we enlarged the 2 bottom holes, you can see how it will fit afterwards

another one where it shows the cut on top left, 90 degrees.

Here is the shortened vertical pipe of the turbo oil catch tank, 1cm shorter.
It is not really necessary to do this mod because also in stock shape the oil catch tank wont be lower then the right side heat exchanger.

sorry again for poor quality cell phone pics.
As you can see I am almost done with the job, biggest issue I am facing now is to modify the WG pipe thats connected to the left tip. It is too short (around 5cm) and too far to the left. I am using the Scart cat bypass on the WG side but I compared it to the stock part and it looks the same from its outside shape.
I will have to modify this pipe to make the left tip fit properly.
This issue isnt because of a poor design it is because this headers were originally designed for the 930 which has a different WG pipe compared to the 965. Hope to help some of the chaps with this info.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

cheers Joe, my headers are on there way should be here in a few days once they clear customs. Will get a list together for my works welder to mod all my pipes as per your feedback, should make the job smother!!

Steve
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM
turboholic
Racer

The car is running again. Tapping noise at idle, after inpection I found a leak from the first cylinder passenger side, bad gasket. Ordered new gasket, will change it as soon as it arrives. Been for a spin and the car has a sick sound at boost (wastegate decat), very loud. I am currently running a 0,6bar spring in the new wastegate because I will connect an i-color Boost Controller shortly. Off-boost noise is normal. Also installed Daves gauge with the tach, just need to pull the sensor cables (AFR) and boost hose from the engine bay into the cockpit.
Does anyone know where to pull the cables through?
I think its best to use the tunnel but where exactly shall I bring the electric wiring and hoses up?
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Originally Posted by turboholic
The car is running again. Tapping noise at idle, after inpection I found a leak from the first cylinder passenger side, bad gasket. Ordered new gasket, will change it as soon as it arrives. Been for a spin and the car has a sick sound at boost (wastegate decat), very loud. I am currently running a 0,6bar spring in the new wastegate because I will connect an i-color Boost Controller shortly. Off-boost noise is normal. Also installed Daves gauge with the tach, just need to pull the sensor cables (AFR) and boost hose from the engine bay into the cockpit.
Does anyone know where to pull the cables through?
I think its best to use the tunnel but where exactly shall I bring the electric wiring and hoses up?
Thanks for any help.
holic, I take it by "sick" you dont like it, too loud? Other than that how did it go compared to before headers? or have you not really driven it enough yet to know.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

'sick' is also slang for 'cool'.
The wastegate bypass is a very cool sound....
Old 05-08-2008, 05:11 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

things are moving ahead here too, I recieved my headers yesterday and have them booked in for all the mods Joe mentions (next week) before trying to fit them. After that next job on the list....... digiwur & afr monitor. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Steve
Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine have also just arrived...well, I say 'arrived', what I mean by that is that Parcel Force have stolen them and are keeping them until I pay their ransom fee. <sigh>

All being well, they should be with me at the start of next week.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 AM
turboholic
Racer

I didnt drive the car very much because of the leaking gasket. Ordered new ones from Porsche on monday but they still didnt arrive yet, they are out of stock
Cant wait to get rid of that tapping noise.
Regarding the wastegate bypass, you wont notice it off-boost, only as the boost comes on. It is a very loud wooooooossssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh sound, in fact it is so loud that you wont hear the engine sound anymore (inside the car). It sounds like too much air is forced to pass a too small tube. This is with 0,6bar spring installed.
The sound will probably change a bit as soon as I can run my left tip again, my welder is finishing an adapter on tuesday. Right now the sound is coming straight from the wastegate + the bypass pipe.
Steve, make sure to measure the left heater hose pipe I mentioned before, it may be that yours is shorter and will fit just right next to the left driveshaft without touching it.
Cannot say anything about the performance now, only drive the car slowly at the moment because of the header gasket leak I have, also the boost controller isnt in yet and the car only has 0,6bar spring.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
turboholic
Racer

Here are some pictures of the headers I took today
note that the oil catch tank is not the lowest spot, its the right side header

Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
turboholic
Racer

Got my wastegate pipe adapter back from the welder today, fits perfect now except that the left tip is 1 cm longer than the right one but with original headers the tips have been also a bit different in length.
Sound changed dramatically after everything sits in place, I cant believe it.
Now it is a throatier and deeper sound than without the tip, I like this sound very much, real sportscar turbosound but only on full boost! Grannys turn their heads 100 meters before I reach them!
I am impressed!
Without the tip it didnt sound half as good!
Car accelerates hard even with 0,6bar spring.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
turboholic
Racer

Forgot to mention, been at Porsche in Zuffenhausen today and saw this:

Quick Reply: Got a parcel today...