964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline refinish 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
This might be the case on painted centers but does not appear to be the case on polished centers. See the attached photos where I have stuck a broken swab stick in between the trim ring and the center. There does not appear to be any clear coat in there.
Mine are polished centers. Here are some pictures..

As you can see, the clear coat is missing. I pulled the clearcoat and along came some clear coat from the center section. This couldn't have happened if they were not clearcoated together.

Another pictures of the same damage. Fortunately, this is the only damage to any of the 4 centers.

Most people probably think I should get my head checked out since the set is in really nice shape. Here I am, taking it all apart to get it refinished.
Raj
Old 01-23-2008, 09:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Mine are polished centers. Here are some pictures..

As you can see, the clear coat is missing. I pulled the clearcoat and along came some clear coat from the center section. This couldn't have happened if they were not clearcoated together.

Another pictures of the same damage. Fortunately, this is the only damage to any of the 4 centers.

Most people probably think I should get my head checked out since the set is in really nice shape. Here I am, taking it all apart to get it refinished.
Raj
No were all crazy here LOL

I see what your saying. It would appear they had several ways of making these and not so sure they have decided on which approach works best.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. Might be a good idea to run a sharp blade around the gap between the center and the outer before removing the bolts to keep from damaging the the paint on the center when taking apart (assuming the centers are not going to be redone).

RT
Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
No were all crazy here LOL
This is pretty esoteric stuff of importance only to this board. You'll know we've really lost it when we start to organize a group trip to tour the Speedline factory in Tabina, Italy in order to investigate their production methods!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flachbau
This is pretty esoteric stuff of importance only to this board. You'll know we've really lost it when we start to organize a group trip to tour the Speedline factory in Tabina, Italy in order to investigate their production methods!
Sign me up.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Center cap update.

So I got off the phone with Jeff and apparently these are all discontinued. Porsche recommends using the plastic 996 parts which i am not so sure fit. In either case I am not putting plastic caps on $6000 wheels. BTW pricing is on an upward swing.

Ebay seems to be the best source for the painted ones. Around $125 a set. be careful there are different vintages and the center crest can vary in color tremendously along with some versions having holes in them

For now I am going to strip the set I have and try polishing them to see how they look. If they look good i am set.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sign me up.
Yes!!
When are we leaving?

Regards.
Raj
Old 01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in too.

I nominate Jim to be our guide and ringleader! Maybe he can give the factory some hints.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a tease - if all goes well I will again be a Speedline owner (well actually I am now but I only have (1) rear Aliseo wheel center and of course all my parts and knowledge). In a couple of days after the dust clears I will tell you more. These are paid for but not in my possession yet. I never imaged I would learn so much about these wheels or all the nuances in the proper way to finish/rebuild/restore. More to come I am sure.

Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Here is a tease - if all goes well I will again be a Speedline owner (well actually I am now but I only have (1) rear Aliseo wheel center and of course all my parts and knowledge). In a couple of days after the dust clears I will tell you more. These are paid for but not in my possession yet. I never imaged I would learn so much about these wheels or all the nuances in the proper way to finish/rebuild/restore. More to come I am sure.

Jim
Sounds good keep us posted!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Wheel Enhancement sells polished centers. Spendy, I'm sure....
Old 01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Center Caps

So I got off the phone with Jeff and apparently these are all discontinued. Porsche recommends using the plastic 996 parts which i am not so sure fit...
I got the plastic ones through Jeff and they fit just fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Wheel Enhancement sells polished centers. Spendy, I'm sure....
I was checking that out earlier. I am looking for the same period caps that came with the car.

Not as easy to find as you think. There are a few variants that look very similar. Some have different colored centers (too much copper vs gold) Some have holes in them and some have different grooves.

The only polished ones I have seen are on the cars here.

These are actually very close might even be the correct style but not polished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

The polished ones they sell aren't the right style i am looking for.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Cobalt,
You could buy some, have them polished and hand paint the crests. I've painted a set; it's easy.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Cobalt,
You could buy some, have them polished and hand paint the crests. I've painted a set; it's easy.
I know. I painted my center caps on my Sc back in 1983 before you could buy them. Appreciate the input though.

I have several sets like I want but all painted silver and would prefer to spend the money to have a perfect factory set for a perfect set of wheels. I will strip the paint off of one of the spare sets i have from my C2 and try polishing them and then clearing them although for some reason I am not sure it is a straight clear on the center section and I want it to match exactly. These would be my show wheels vs my driving wheels ( now you know what a fanatic I can be) Although I seriously concours my car and I have to compete with Y65mph which is no easy task.

You never know sometimes things pop out of the wood work so they say.

Quick Reply: Speedline refinish 2008