Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Speedline refinish 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Speedline Alesio wheels always used the small i. As I have been very recently investigating redoing my original wheels (painted centers to match - Black Metallic) I have been told that there are no trim rings currently available but that Speedline will be releasing a new batch of 'Speedline For Porsche' trim rings in mid February. I will be buying a set of these so we'll see what the script says. I think it will have a capital I and that the small i rings were somehow a stop gap effort from time to time - but we'll see.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
I think the Speedline Alesio wheels always used the small i. As I have been very recently investigating redoing my original wheels (painted centers to match - Black Metallic) I have been told that there are no trim rings currently available but that Speedline will be releasing a new batch of 'Speedline For Porsche' trim rings in mid February. I will be buying a set of these so we'll see what the script says. I think it will have a capital I and that the small i rings were somehow a stop gap effort from time to time - but we'll see.

This brings me to one more question. I am looking for a set of metal polished crested (painted crest) centered caps for my wheels. What caps came on the S? Were they metal and did they have a crest or did they say turbo. Do you have any part numbers.

So far sunset is coming up empty with only polished plastic caps with script that have 996 part numbers.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as masking the centers, not sure how true that is. Tony was with me when we tried to peel one of the clears from the outer part, only to see it pull a part of the clear that was on the center section. i was very upset because I just exposed the center, so I remember it very clearly that there is a clear coat contact between the outers and centers.
Raj
Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
As far as masking the centers, not sure how true that is. Tony was with me when we tried to peel one of the clears from the outer part, only to see it pull a part of the clear that was on the center section. i was very upset because I just exposed the center, so I remember it very clearly that there is a clear coat contact between the outers and centers.
Raj
Hum

My mind must be slipping, but it was a while back. Are you talking about where the bolts attach or the cast center hub? I recall the clear just lift right off where the damage had occurred. So the milky color is actually just the clear loosing adhesion. Also Raj do you have crested painted center caps?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Tony, yes I have the crested painted centers.
The cast center hub started peeling the clear when I pulled on it.
Raj
Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Tony, yes I have the crested painted centers.
The cast center hub started peeling the clear when I pulled on it.
Raj

Any chance you might have a Part number? They are not listed on the PET.

I guess that resolves that question. It would appear th entire wheel is cleared at once.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
This brings me to one more question. I am looking for a set of metal polished crested (painted crest) centered caps for my wheels. What caps came on the S? Were they metal and did they have a crest or did they say turbo. Do you have any part numbers.

So far sunset is coming up empty with only polished plastic caps with script that have 996 part numbers.
Yes plastic is the new metal!

There were four options on the turbo S (see photos attached):

- Turbo Script - standard
- Option XD4 Porsche Crest Rim Caps
- Option X90 Rim Cap w/ Porsche Crest
- Option XD9 Rim Cap Paint to Match Centers

I can find no discernable difference between options XD4 and X90 - the caps look identical. Only two cars had XD4. Quite a few cars had X90. Two cars had XD9.

Here are the various part numbers I have -

General Numbers:

928.361.032.01 (silver metallic) superseded by 993.361.303.00 (61M silver metallic)
928.361.032.02 (silver metallic) superseded by 993.361.303.00 (61M silver metallic)
993.361.303.00 61M silver metallic (see notes below)
Exc 964.038.00 "Emblem Coloured"

Turbo Specific Numbers:

965.361.032.01 Hub Cap Polished (note: I believe this is the turbo script cap)
965.361.032.02 Hub Cap Silver Metallic superseded by 993.361.303.00 61M silver metallic
993.361.303.00 - 61M silver metallic (note: I think on the 993's there was a polished cap with crest which is this number. If ordered with 61M the cap was painted silver metallic)

Let us know what you find out.

Photos in order are: XD4, XD9, X90

Last edited by Flachbau; 10-02-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Raj
This might be the case on painted centers but does not appear to be the case on polished centers. See the attached photos where I have stuck a broken swab stick in between the trim ring and the center. There does not appear to be any clear coat in there.

Last edited by Flachbau; 05-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes plastic is the new metal!

There were four options on the turbo S (see photos attached):

- Turbo Script - standard
- Option XD4 Porsche Crest Rim Caps
- Option X90 Rim Cap w/ Porsche Crest
- Option XD9 Rim Cap Paint to Match Centers

I can find no discernable difference between options XD4 and X90 - the caps look identical. Only two cars had XD4. Quite a few cars had X90. Two cars had XD9.

Here are the various part numbers I have -

General Numbers:

928.361.032.01 (silver metallic) superseded by 993.361.303.00 (61M silver metallic)
928.361.032.02 (silver metallic) superseded by 993.361.303.00 (61M silver metallic)
993.361.303.00 61M silver metallic (see notes below)
Exc 964.038.00 "Emblem Coloured"

Turbo Specific Numbers:

965.361.032.01 Hub Cap Polished (note: I believe this is the turbo script cap)
965.361.032.02 Hub Cap Silver Metallic superseded by 993.361.303.00 61M silver metallic
993.361.303.00 - 61M silver metallic (note: I think on the 993's there was a polished cap with crest which is this number. If ordered with 61M the cap was painted silver metallic)

Let us know what you find out.

Photos in order are: XD4, XD9, X90
The info I am coming up with is 993.361.303.00 is what i have on my painted center wheels these have the painted crest mounted to the metal backing painted silver metallic.
965.361.303.00 is painted with Turbo script
965.361.032.01 is polished with turbo script.

It looks like the only shot might be this Exc 964.038.00 "Emblem Coloured"

Thanks i will look deeper and get back to you.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am thinking after all the discussions that possibly the early mid 1990's manufactured wheels did not have clear sprayed over the bolt head at the same time and when the bolts/nuts were tighted it cracked the clear ever so slightly allowing moisture over time to get under the clear and start the discoloration that we have all come to see on the older wheels. Of course it was accelerated depending how and when the wheels were exposed to the elements. Now with time it is inevitable what the result will be.
I think spraying clear over the outer rim and flange bolts was an attempt to seal this vulnerable spot. Having taken many Speedline wheels apart I am not aware that it is common knowledge that water actually gets behind the head or the nut and sits inside where the bolt is. I know this by the condition of the bolts upon removed prior to refinishing. The only real sealing is done with the black rubber gasket between rim halves and the center.

Now I will tell you that other 3 piece wheels that do not use a rubber o ring to seal the wheel usually does not have rusted bolts because the silicon used to seal actually goes around the flange from the rims and hits the bolts usually sealing them from water penitrating the inside.

Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
I am thinking after all the discussions that possibly the early mid 1990's manufactured wheels did not have clear sprayed over the bolt head at the same time and when the bolts/nuts were tighted it cracked the clear ever so slightly allowing moisture over time to get under the clear and start the discoloration that we have all come to see on the older wheels. Of course it was accelerated depending how and when the wheels were exposed to the elements. Now with time it is inevitable what the result will be.
I think spraying clear over the outer rim and flange bolts was an attempt to seal this vulnerable spot. Having taken many Speedline wheels apart I am not aware that it is common knowledge that water actually gets behind the head or the nut and sits inside where the bolt is. I know this by the condition of the bolts upon removed prior to refinishing. The only real sealing is done with the black rubber gasket between rim halves and the center.

Now I will tell you that other 3 piece wheels that do not use a rubber o ring to seal the wheel usually does not have rusted bolts because the silicon used to seal actually goes around the flange from the rims and hits the bolts usually sealing them from water penitrating the inside.

Jim
Interesting. I agree

I did just check the one wheel i have floating around (in the box) in the back of my car and there is definitely a gap between the out lip and inner casting. So it would appear they were masked off one way or another.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

The info I am coming up with is 993.361.303.00 is what i have on my painted center wheels these have the painted crest mounted to the metal backing painted silver metallic.
965.361.303.00 is painted with Turbo script
965.361.032.01 is polished with turbo script.

It looks like the only shot might be this Exc 964.038.00 "Emblem Coloured"

Thanks i will look deeper and get back to you.
Look forward to the result. I need to buy a set of caps to repaint black metallic for my wheel refurb project and would like to know that I've ordered the right thing.

What exactly are you looking for? Polished caps with painted crest?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Look forward to the result. I need to buy a set of caps to repaint black metallic for my wheel refurb project and would like to know that I've ordered the right thing.

What exactly are you looking for? Polished caps with painted crest?
Will do, Jeff is looking into it for me, but if you have a set of polished ones with crests you don't need I have a set of painted ones with crests. Up for a trade?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Will do, Jeff is looking into it for me, but if you have a set of polished ones with crests you don't need I have a set of painted ones with crests. Up for a trade?
Actually I only have the original painted set (but the caps themselves and the crests are in poor shape so the reason for buying a new set) and a set of the polished with the turbo script that I picked up some time back. So unfortunately I don't have what you need. Keep me posted ... thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Anthony.........do you want to sell the painted with the crests?

I have painted withTurbo script that I will keep, but like the crests.

Pm me if you find what you're looking for and want to sell.........thanks , Mike

Quick Reply: Speedline refinish 2008