Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo S Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013 | 11:10 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Let's not forget that the 964 era nearly bankrupted Porsche and I am proud to own one of those cars! As the saying goes 'often imitated but never replicated' ... goes for hand built cars afaict
Old 07-18-2013 | 12:04 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Amen to that!

There is much debate these days about the new 991 GT3, and whether with all the new technology and gizmos and non-motorsport engine, the car has lost its way as a true driver's car with real soul, all in the quest for ultimate speed and best of class handling.

The real issue for me is much larger - whether the company itself has strayed from Dr. Porsche's original vision. When the 964 was built the company was run by drivers and engineers who had the passion for the car. Thus, the cost per car was important, but not the driving factor - the sports car was.

These days, the driver is for an expanded market and higher margins, it seems.

Old 07-18-2013 | 03:52 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Thank you for the pictures V ... Do you know something about the cars or did you find the pictures on the Web ?! The Amethyst car could be VIN # 7

Thx
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:44 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 30 CSL
Thank you for the pictures V ... Do you know something about the cars or did you find the pictures on the Web ?! The Amethyst car could be VIN # 7

Thx
No I don't, sorry. Those were just pictures I found that I had not come across before so I thought I'd post them. The Amethyst could be the one from the Swedish magazine but I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 07-18-2013 | 11:42 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Sorry I can't be of more help
Your help was great because you posted pics of a car that I never saw before
Old 07-19-2013 | 10:35 AM
V
Rennlist Member

You are welcome, I love these cars.
Old 07-19-2013 | 02:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlos993
There is much debate these days about the new 991 GT3, and whether with all the new technology and gizmos and non-motorsport engine, the car has lost its way as a true driver's car with real soul, all in the quest for ultimate speed and best of class handling.

The real issue for me is much larger - whether the company itself has strayed from Dr. Porsche's original vision. When the 964 was built the company was run by drivers and engineers who had the passion for the car. Thus, the cost per car was important, but not the driving factor - the sports car was.

These days, the driver is for an expanded market and higher margins, it seems.
Yes, but remember:
(1) business exists to make a profit (I know, it sounds trite but we all tend to forget)
(2) customers expectations have changed since the days of the air cooled cars.

Most of the customers for new Porsches are buying because the cars are a status symbol. They don't care about the purity of the driving experience or the Porsche DNA. They want to be seen in their uber expensive 911. They expect gadgets like stability control and navigation.
Talk to the old timers who are in love with their 356's and they say the same thing about the air-cooled 911. To them, the 356 was the pure driving machine and the 911 is the big heavy GT that was targeted to a different kind of customer.
Porsche will have to move with the times to survive whether we like it or not.
Old 07-19-2013 | 05:37 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Porsche is massively successful now - they could make a car with traditional values.Would there not be enough takers for a small lightweight high performance and top quality car ? Lotus had a good try for a small company. If they wont , at least it makes a strong market for the classics and so we can afford to
Keep paying high prices for spares ad infinitum.

Last edited by Turbo Jonny; 07-19-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2013 | 06:10 PM
30 CSL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Yes, but remember:
(1) business exists to make a profit (I know, it sounds trite but we all tend to forget)
(2) customers expectations have changed since the days of the air cooled cars.

Most of the customers for new Porsches are buying because the cars are a status symbol. They don't care about the purity of the driving experience or the Porsche DNA. They want to be seen in their uber expensive 911. They expect gadgets like stability control and navigation.
Talk to the old timers who are in love with their 356's and they say the same thing about the air-cooled 911. To them, the 356 was the pure driving machine and the 911 is the big heavy GT that was targeted to a different kind of customer.
Porsche will have to move with the times to survive whether we like it or not.
Agree with first 5 lines of your post Guru.

Not sur I fully subscribe to your point of view when you're starting the 356 / 911 comparison, but I reckon there is certainly a part of truth in it as well...
Old 07-19-2013 | 08:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 30 CSL
Agree with first 5 lines of your post Guru.

Not sur I fully subscribe to your point of view when you're starting the 356 / 911 comparison, but I reckon there is certainly a part of truth in it as well...
Actually, I was paraphrasing a journalist named Denis Jenkinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Jenkinson). He was a die-hard 356 enthusiast and wrote that opinion.
The local PCA chapter here in Detroit is loaded with geezers that feel like that. Pull up in a 911 and they won't give you the time of day. I never understood why that was until I read that.
Old 09-20-2013 | 06:30 AM
revio
Track Day

Old 09-20-2013 | 06:31 AM
revio
Track Day

Last edited by revio; 09-20-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: double post
Old 09-20-2013 | 06:31 AM
revio
Track Day

Last edited by revio; 09-20-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2013 | 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Actually, I was paraphrasing a journalist named Denis Jenkinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Jenkinson). He was a die-hard 356 enthusiast and wrote that opinion.
The local PCA chapter here in Detroit is loaded with geezers that feel like that. Pull up in a 911 and they won't give you the time of day. I never understood why that was until I read that.
I find this a bit surprising although he has the credentials it is still one mans opinion. I have been around these cars since the 70's and started track driving back when 356's, pre-911 carrera's and 944's were the common track cars and I don't recall ever hearing a 356 owner who felt that way. Most 356's owners I know love their old tubs but they have deep respect for the air cooled 911 and most have been around these cars longer than I and own both. Talking to most newer Porsche owners I find most of them never drove anything but an American made car prior to 10 years ago. They feel they are a better driver because they are faster in their GT3 but are they? Looking at lap times all that extra power and equipment doesn't make them proportionally faster if at all and most never learn the true skill of driving since the car does most of the work for them.

I agree it is about profit and nobody knows that better than Porsche but with Panamera and Cayenne sales contributing to the bulk of their sales there is no reason they can't offer something for people that appreciate their roots. It looks like the dream died with Dr. Porsche and that dream is what is fueling the increase in value of these older cars. I don't think in 20 years people will be coveting a 991 the way they are these older cars and odds are more 964's will be around than these newer cars when they become unreliable and exorbitantly expensive to maintain.

BTW great photos
Old 09-20-2013 | 10:33 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Those Speed Yellow cars are gorgeus, and the one with the OEM decals looks particularly fresh. Both seem to be riding even lower than the already lowered front suspension height for the Turbo S, although it may be the photo angle.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo S Lightweight