Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

965 chassis: driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JBH, well stated. I see from your sig the Caterham and the Formula Ford so you have probably more appreciation than I will ever have on this issue. I have no illusions about tracking a 964 Turbo. . . I'm looking at one purely as a fun car for nice weather and weekends. It won't get a lot of exercise to be honest, but when I do carve out the time away from family/work, I want to be entertained.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed
- lag until rpms rise. this is annoying but not a huge deal if you keep rpms up
- lag even at high rpm, as you breathe off throttle and get back on under hard charging

It is the latter, the rubber band response that has me more concerned actually.
The WRC cars have single turbos and use ALS (Anti Lag Systems). Basically these inject fuel into the turbocharger and alter ignition timing to keep the turbo spinning (even at idle!). You could pay to have this done to your car but you would also have to have your turbo "refreshed" once a year

EDIT: I just googled it and it says it is very hard on the exhaust

http://www.innovativeturbo.com/pages...l=team&sl=tech

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Heh. Maybe I just need to learn to left foot brake to keep the motor loaded.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

With 4wd or fwd I would agree, but with rwd I don't fancy it...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
The WRC cars have single turbos and use ALS (Anti Lag Systems). Basically these inject fuel into the turbocharger and alter ignition timing to keep the turbo spinning (even at idle!). You could pay to have this done to your car but you would also have to have your turbo "refreshed" once a year

EDIT: I just googled it and it says it is very hard on the exhaust

http://www.innovativeturbo.com/pages...l=team&sl=tech

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html
IIRC correctly Porsche used to use the air recirculation pump and fed it to the turbo to keep it spinning to reduce lag on the 964 turbo race cars.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
That is good to hear considering I am in the process of installing them. Did he have camber plates as well? I am going to try it out with the stock rubber mounts first.
He installed them with stock rubber mounts, don't remember what setup he had on his wheels but he did a corner weight, let me know if you want the alignment numbers and the damper setting. The damper setting was a little hard in my taste, I got car sick (even when driving) he didn't though.

His car is extreamly predictiable on street tyres, if you turn in with to much speed it will give you a hint with a bit of understeer (a little bit like a GT3)before the tail starts going. My car (cup chassi and r-rated tyres) gives no warning like that, the rear starts sliding and you better hold the foot down.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by cobalt
IIRC correctly Porsche used to use the air recirculation pump and fed it to the turbo to keep it spinning to reduce lag on the 964 turbo race cars.
I did wonder if the belt driven air pump would help the turbo to spin when I first got my car as it injects air into the headers...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Any more info on how this worked? How come no one has tried to reproduce it on a road car.

RT
Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I think I was beat when I thought it is blowing cold air onto the turbo...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I don't have any specifics other than they did this with the IMSA "Supercar" championship 3.3's and 3.6's

Apparently they somehow kept the fuel injection active on overrun and firing it into the exhaust ports with the help of the air provided from the air pump. This would take place whenever the driver would lift and would keep the turbo spinning at a high speed.

Major down side is fuel consumption goes from bad to nil. Doesn't sound all that safe to me either.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't have any specifics other than they did this with the IMSA "Supercar" championship 3.3's and 3.6's

Apparently they somehow kept the fuel injection active on overrun and firing it into the exhaust ports with the help of the air provided from the air pump. This would take place whenever the driver would lift and would keep the turbo spinning at a high speed.

Major down side is fuel consumption goes from bad to nil. Doesn't sound all that safe to me either.
Sounds like an early form of anti-lag, as Nathan says they use on the WRC's. Virtually never used on road cars as the stress destroys all but the best (heavy cast iron) exhaust manifolds and turbo life is measured in just hundreds of miles.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have a lot of street and track experience with turbo cars, and for a street car, the 965 suspension is a noticable upgrade from the older platform. While still simple ie trailing arm rear, it is more compliant and provides for better handling. When compared to a 993 suspension, it really depends. There are a number of 993s that have been lowered too much which causes some significant problems at the rear end with rear bump steer where the rear will toe out. If you upgrade the dampers and springs on a 965, you'll notice a large difference from stock, and a significantly large difference over the 930. You will not notice a significant difference between a 965 and a 993. In my opinion, the Bilstein sport and HR Red springs are a very nice street package and would recommend them over the PSS-9s.

On the track, again, I think the 965 rear suspension is simplier than the 993 and is not as affected by alignment issues (or out of alignment issues) than a 993. Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either, however, the awd of the 993 turbo dumbs the car down too much (my opinion).

someone know the spring rate on this Red HR springs?
and on PSS9
Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had posted this information on the 964 Forum within the last 6 months. Do a search and you'll find the stock, M030, Red, and PSS9 spring rates.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
Are you interested in the car for track, street or both?

There are quite a few guys around that drove these cars in PCA racing with pretty good success. Many owners start the suspension modification with heavier springs - that takes care of both ride height and softness in the suspension. Springs are pretty cheap and can be tuned to your intended use. This is a big advantage of the 964 suspension.

There are also a number of very good damper choices, selected according to your intended use.

Is a 964T suspension better tha a 930...that is probably debatable. I know a lot of really fast 930s, but in general I would say yes, but the difference is not a lot. After all, it's still a trailing arm rear setup and by today's standards, it's antiquated.

What I don't like about the 965 is the power steering. Jumping from my Caterham to the 964T, the difference is night and day. In comparison, the Porsche steering is not very responsive

I wonder, has anyone converted to a standard, unassisted rack & pinion? I imagine that's a big project.
I raced my former '91, and it handled great. It had RSR struts & some pretty darn stiff springs. I raced it everywhere from Watkins Glen to Road America to Sebring to Daytona. Handled like a dream, with my only complaint being the weight (had to weigh 3000#s per the rules vs. the 2425 my cup gets to weigh). Set many fastest laps at races and a few track records. The 993 suspension is actually extremely tricky to get right...most end up replacing all the links to solve. So anyone that says the 965 is antiquated and is unstable is just an idiot and can't drive.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:10 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
So anyone that says the 965 is antiquated and is unstable is just an idiot and can't drive.
I love it!

Quick Reply: 965 chassis: driving experience