964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

High Flow S vs. stock elbow: Round 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Flow S vs. stock elbow: Round 1

I hope all fellow 964 turbo owners had fun this summer with their cars. I spent most of my driving days at the track and enjoyed every last minute.

Well it's time to tell you about the current battle between my stock elbow made for a 2.75 inch outlet and my high flow unit which is 3 inches... The reason I had to undo this hose, is because my stock clamps were coming loose after track sessions. I purchased Breeze clamps, the 4 inch constant torque models, to finally eliminate this problem.

I remember my mechanic (this being before the Porsche Doc showed me ropes and takes time to help answer questions, doubts, and guide me through all my DIY projects, I am very thankful!) said that this was one pain in the *** to put on. Holy crap, I am ready to kill the designer of this set up !!! The upper connector that runs through the tin moves, so when you get the elbow set on the oversized turbo outlet the darn thing moves. Next when you try to adjust the upper connector, the elbow slips off of the turbo. No need for cursing on the board, did plenty of that last night in the garage

Anyways, just trying to have a little fun on the board.

Round 2 starts in 30 minutes, odds makers have the turbo elbow taking me down in the 4th round with a cut on my ring finger and a big loud F-bomb

Last edited by dholling13; 08-15-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Did you toss the elbow in a bowl add water and stick in the microwave..
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about spending $25 to $30 dollars on a reduce / step silicone elbow connector, such as this. (I think you mean your old inlet on the turbo is 2.75" and now you are trying to stretch that to 3")

==> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/high-...spagenameZWD1V

Old 08-15-2007, 11:14 PM
E-man930
Banned

you should avoind reducing the intake tract of the turbocharger if you want to extract the most HP out of that setup... Though this may cost you more $$$, you really should be going the other way, going from the 3" inlet of the turbo and transitioning to 3.25 by the time you connect to the CIS fuel metering housing...

my 2 cents.

Elbow route mentioned above is fast and cheap - no more cursing and cut knuckles.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Late in round 3 after realizing all that I needed to do was keep pressure on the plastic tube leading into the CIS unit, I recorded a TKO on that darn elbow.

E-man you are very right; but if you increase the diameter with a new hose and use the existing plastic plumbing, there is a risk that the copper support ring will come loose and fall into the fan blades of my high flow turbo.

Kevin,

I remember that conversation like it was yesterday. It was the one we had after I sent you the turbo which was damaged by what I mentioned above .

Next post: Brake Ducts... Stay tuned.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by E-man930
how about spending $25 to $30 dollars on a reduce / step silicone elbow connector, such as this. (I think you mean your old inlet on the turbo is 2.75" and now you are trying to stretch that to 3")

==> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/high-...spagenameZWD1V

What is a good tube selection for mine? Being too lazy to search. It is a just a K27 Hyflow. 2.75 on both ends?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The tube is actually 3" The stock K27 is 2.75" Hyflow "S" is 3" The factory "Grey" offset elbow is very good. The top is 3" it transitions past the 90 and is all 3" until it meets the turbo inlet.. Heat it up and slap it on.. If it's beat to Sh## buy a new one.. If your hose clamps have chewed up the outside clamping surface it's time for a new one..
Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 AM
E-man930
Banned

Factory plastic intake tube is 2.75" ID
CIS housing end is a little less than 3.25" ID
Factory tube sucks due to the huge kink designed to make the part easily removable... Don't fight the wrong size factory parts. Spend a few extra $$$ to do the job right the first time - it will save you headaches in the future.

(sorry my fingers were slipping in the first pic - turbo end is slightly under 2.75")

(hmmmm... looks like I'll have to host these pics on an image server - my rennlist file hosting limit has been knocked down to less than 2 megs and I don't want to delete some of my old pictures in older posts as they still may add value to those searching)

Click on pics and then click again when the new window finishes loading

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 AM
E-man930
Banned

AG02M5, the original ebay link I posted has the right dimensions... (I'm sure you can find them in whatever color you want, some of the vendors actually make the hoses and you can spec the color)
the 3.00" ID end goes over your HFS and the 2.75" ID end connects to the plastic intake pipe. While this is a quick and easy fix, why install a 3.00" turbo and then immediately knock down it's intake tract to 2.75" and even slimmer @ the kink. The whole point of the larger inducer size is to aid in the turbo's ability to efficiently draw in and compress air. Look @ the Garrets being used in the import world. There is a reason you see drag Civics running a turbo that has a 5" ID inducer with a venturi (huge velocity stack) sometimes added to it... You would never see crap like this on a half way decent import build. Laws of physics apply weather you are modifying a Honda or Prosche... Take time to educate yourself before you by into hype from turner A or tuner B.
Finally - the factory rubber hose is good, but the wrong size. The silicone rubber formulation from the slew of ebay / online vendors is much better and won't deteriorate like the factory ones tend to...

Last edited by E-man930; 08-16-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
E-man930
Banned

dholling13,
You should increase the ID of the hose @ the turbo end, after all, the new turbo is .25" larger in ID...
You simply need to match the 3" end of the hose with the 3" end of the turbo and the same on the 2.75" end of the plastic pipe and other end of the silicone coupler. If your steel support ring can come out at all you should replace that intake pipe... they are cast into the plastic and should not come out.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

I agree that this is a good idea; when I tear down my engine bay to adjust my valves (oh boy is this going to be a battle) I will look into replacing the plastic section. Thanks for your input guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I think I need to do some new tubing to the turbo.

Anyone have any pics of a custom solution? Silicone or new custom hard pipes?

I can't imagine that kink does anything good for air flow.

Here's my current condition...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: High Flow S vs. stock elbow: Round 1