Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

GHL EXHAUST CRACKS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts
Default GHL EXHAUST CRACKS

Hi guys i have a full GHL exhaust system on my car (i used to think it was B&B but i was wrong), i was under the engine cleaning everything and i noticed several cracks in the exhaust. There were 2 small ones in the heat exchangers and a couple of larger ones on the welds where the heater box meets the aft portion of the pipe. I started the car and sure enough i could feel exhaust coming out of the cracks and a sputtering noise. Is it possible to find just a good muffler shop that can reweld those cracks or am i going to have to replace the whole system????

Thanks
JERRY
Old 12-26-2006, 01:28 PM
D666S
Instructor

Location: San Sebastián de los Reyes, Madrid (Kingdom of Spain)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What!!! i have fitted it one GHL in my car yesterday!!

Please could you be more precise? Have your garage adjusted everything in the right way?

Please let us know...

Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Call Brian At GHL and he will fix/repair or replace them...

Don't mess around with rewelding them on the car at the local welder.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:30 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

It happens to most at some point in the life of the exhaust of the turbo's. Seems like the B&B crack earlier/more often, but I have had GHL headers crack as well. Having tried both manufacturers myself, I went back to the B&B for increased performance over the GHL. They flow better according to my engine builder and show 15-25 HP over the GHL set-up on a modified turbo. I have not gone to a coated header, but some say that is the only way to really improve the life of the headers.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,231 Posts

GHL will work with you as B&B can be a bit tougher to deal with. Welding Stainless is not easy so unless you know what you are doing leave it to the pros. I have had many B&B products and they have all cracked and welded each many times. Even my SSI's on my SC cracked after 19 years.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 PM
D666S
Instructor

Could you take some pics Jerry?

Have you make other mods in the car?

thanks,

Old 12-27-2006, 03:09 PM
D666S
Instructor

Hi Jerry, i got a question for you.

How did you solve the link between the heat exchangers exit and the heater system conexion? I've anlysing it and it is not very well made, it is like was made for another Turbo model not for a 964 Turbo. It is almost impossible to connect them with provided GHL tubes. Did you have the same problem? or could you provide with some pictures underneath your car?

thank you in advance, regards,

Old 12-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Boeing 717

Hey cobalt.....so youve had yours rewelded did it turn out ok???? will GHL take them back and reweld them??? I smell a lot of exhaust when the heater is on so if im getting carbon monoxide in the cabin i would think they would back up their product????? I bought a carbon monoxide detector but it hasnt detected any as of yet.

D6 I bought the car with the exhaust system already installed so i dont know if any mods were done, the system was put on by a porsche mechanic. Im sorry the batteries in my camera are dead i was gonna stop and get some on the way home today but got lazy. Are you talking about the hose connection that couples up to the side of the heat exchanger???? I will be happy to post pics soon though ok...... ill try and get batteries today.... along with the pics of the cracks.

JERRY
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Same boat you guys are in my B&B are cracked on top by the heater box. Looks like someone used a saw and cut a little slit in the header. I will pull them this weekend and find a welder.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Hey cobalt.....so youve had yours rewelded did it turn out ok???? will GHL take them back and reweld them??? I smell a lot of exhaust when the heater is on so if im getting carbon monoxide in the cabin i would think they would back up their product????? I bought a carbon monoxide detector but it hasnt detected any as of yet.

JERRY

I am in metal fabrication so I have an advantage. It is a royal PITA though and I only would do it with the boxes off the car. It always worked out well but then the cracks start elsewhere. I have some small cracks starting on my B&B heater boxes on my turbo. They have about 8k miles on them and noticed the cracks starting as early as 3k miles. Something to keep in mind is that the boxes do not have a tight seal around the pipes anyhow so a few small cracks won't make a difference. Now if it is the pipes cracking I would be calling them for sure but you might want to verify they are cracking first. You can always have them penetrant inspected to verify surface issues.

These engines produce tremendous amounts of heat and no matter what you do it seams this will always be a common issue with performance exhausts.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:54 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

If you have them welded they are supposed to be purged while welding with a special gas. Basically don't bother to do this yourself. You will damage your turbocharger over time. If the welder doesn't know what you are talking about then run...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 PM
D666S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
D6 I bought the car with the exhaust system already installed so i dont know if any mods were done, the system was put on by a porsche mechanic. Im sorry the batteries in my camera are dead i was gonna stop and get some on the way home today but got lazy. Are you talking about the hose connection that couples up to the side of the heat exchanger???? I will be happy to post pics soon though ok...... ill try and get batteries today.... along with the pics of the cracks.

JERRY
Hi Jerry and everybody:

See the pic enclosed. My garage has a lot of problems to connect the heat exchanger exit (circle marked) to its heater system hose (see arrow direction, sorry don't have better picture).

I know that the temperatures can get are enormous over there but I wonder if using a flexible aluminium protected hose was fine or definitely i have to go to a tailor-made stainless steel tube. What did you use guys?

Thank you in advance, regards,

Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Boeing 717

Seems wierd to me that they just couldnt hook the hoses right up, maybe its a totally different diameter hose do you think???? My hoses are black and seem to have that fabric kind of material with the steel loops running through it.

JERRY
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks nathan good info!!!

JERRY
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM
dm 3.6 turbo
Instructor

so the question is which header system to go with ..or do you fabricate your own...does b&b really add 20hp over a ghl set of headers? from my knowledge ghl is a group of guys that left b&b and started there own fabrication to make the system better all the way around ..is this a myth?
or do we just do a group buy on a custom fabrication for all our cars ...answers anyone

Quick Reply: GHL EXHAUST CRACKS