964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

car unstable is my front wheel alignment out

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:57 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default car unstable is my front wheel alignment out

i have just put in a rconditioned power sterring rack the alignment has not yet been done took it around the block and the car is very unstable even on slightest rough surface the steering feels as though it is haeavy for a split second then bbecomes light is this due to the alignment being out or is it a rack issuse the rack is not leaking im not losing any fluid so it seems fine on that side
Old 03-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

This is one of the area's where you might be better off taking the car in to get your alignment checked? Did you bleed your pump system? Are you cavitating air and hydraulic fluid in you lines? If your fluid level is okay, you might have a questionable rack??
Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

i shall get the aligment done properly im presuming the power steering has its own hydraulic sysytem nothing to do with any other hydraulic system the air is bled out of the power steering via a few full locks or is there another method
Old 03-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Usually you need to undue the return line that has a hose clamp in the center tunnel. You add fluid to the reservoir and start the engine, gently turn the steering wheel. Watch the fluid dump out of the line, stop the engine when the fluid is clear. Make sure that you do not run out of fluid at the reservoir. You might need to stop the engine, and refill and repeat, or have someone fill while the engine is running..
Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

was just reading an article on 911 rack installation and it states to lock the wheel left and right to eliminate any air in the power steering system
Old 04-01-2006, 11:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes these cars are self bleeding. Turning the wheel all the way left and right purges the system of air. As Kevin mentioned, watch your reservoir during this as you do not want it to go dry.

Also when reinstalling if you have a little toe out in the car, it will fell very unstable. It will be very twitchy and just move very quickly from side to side with little steering wheel movement.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:43 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

im sure i have bled the system take the top off and turn left and right a few times definitely is very unstable and twitchy amazing what bad alignment can do is it ok to drive arouns 100km to get my alignment done
Old 04-01-2006, 08:21 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have some 2x4 lumber or anything lying around that is about 2' long and you have 2 of them? If so, put one on the ground against the tire (use the higher side up) on each side in the front of the car. Use a tape measure in front and in back of the tire on the board and check the measurements. You will find I am pretty sure that the distance in front between the boards is greater than the distance in the rear. Try adjsuting the length of the toe arms (equal amounts of lengthening or shortening on each side) to try and get the distances more equal. You want to make it so that the measurement in the front is 1/16" LESS than what you measure in the rear. This will be safe to get you to the alignment shop.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

so i have two long bits of timber i rest one at the front of the car sitting up against the full tread of the tyre and one on the rear side of the front tyre or am i resting the timber against the side wall of the tyre ie against the rim and tyre on each wheel and measuring distances from one tyre to the other
second problem the car is low how do i get access to the tie rods for adjustments

Quick Reply: car unstable is my front wheel alignment out