Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

A couple shots from cars and coffee at Graham Rahal Performance yesterday:
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-07-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:35 PM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Last edited by Boosted321; 05-19-2024 at 10:30 AM.
bweSteve (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 06:23 PM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

That looks great!

Honestly I'm exhausted with all the originality stuff. It's your car, do with it as you please. Do we need some originals? Yes, fine, stick them in a museum. Do people live in all original houses? F&#@ no!!! That would be idiotic. You buy a house and update it to suit your needs and tastes. A car is no different.

Can you imagine how boring Cars n Coffee events would be if everyone had an original car ?

I remember a guy commenting on a BaT auction, and asking if the seller still had the original shocks. That's like wanting the original rotted deck posts when buying a house with a new deck.

<end rant>

bweSteve (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:27 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

hahaha,... I LOVE this ^^^ ... thank you. on a day when I just finished writing my own rant,... this was a WELCOME surprise.

and yes Boosted, the car looks AWESOME!!!

.... I would just fall asleep on that couch of yours, letting the beauty of the car drift into my subconscious

Last edited by bweSteve; 05-18-2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:55 PM
jp884
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by das76
That looks great!

Honestly I'm exhausted with all the originality stuff. It's your car, do with it as you please. Do we need some originals? Yes, fine, stick them in a museum. Do people live in all original houses? F&#@ no!!! That would be idiotic. You buy a house and update it to suit your needs and tastes. A car is no different.

Can you imagine how boring Cars n Coffee events would be if everyone had an original car ?

I remember a guy commenting on a BaT auction, and asking if the seller still had the original shocks. That's like wanting the original rotted deck posts when buying a house with a new deck.

<end rant>
I agree it's your car do what you like, it's your money spend it as you please. That being said, there's no reason to sh*t on the people that prefer to keep their cars original. For the most part I am a stock person. I'll upgrade suspension, wheels and brakes but pretty much keep everything stock. If I want something faster I'll just go in the garage and drive something more modern. It's nice to have vintage cars to feel and drive vintage that's the appeal to me.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
I agree it's your car do what you like, it's your money spend it as you please. That being said, there's no reason to sh*t on the people that prefer to keep their cars original. For the most part I am a stock person. I'll upgrade suspension, wheels and brakes but pretty much keep everything stock. If I want something faster I'll just go in the garage and drive something more modern. It's nice to have vintage cars to feel and drive vintage that's the appeal to me.
I second that. We took the GT4 and the 964 aka Sh!tbox to the track this weekend. Surprisingly The Gt4 isn't much faster at NJMP Thunderbolt. After driving both Friday on track I know the GT4 is a much more stable car and has great potential but the 964 was nearly as fast. Pete Tremper was there in his GT4. A prior 964 driver and owns the sister car to the **** Box. Manny Alaban had the third of the trio years ago. A few friends with far more modern cars plus a bunch of club racers in advanced. The best they could do was 2 seconds faster than the 964 on RE71RS's vs their R7 Hoosiers. My son, was I hate to say faster than me and passed nearly everyone in the group in modern Porsche's. On longer tracks no doubt top speed will gain some time but in the turns these are equally as capable when properly setup. All the gained time was in the straights where HP wins.

I walked away thinking how easy and capable the GT4 was but the 964 was so much more engaging and fun to drive. My son agrees. You work twice as hard and there is no room for error but you are driving. Sadly the GT4 lost PSM communication and everything crashed from ABS to sport suspension, traction etc all at once going into the most dangerous turn on the track. I have no issue not having the nannies of the modern cars but when you expect them to be there and they aren't it can get quite scary. Luckily my years of driving the cars without any saved my behind as my instinct quickly took over and saved myself from hitting the wall by reverting back to thinking old school quickly. I think most any modern car drivers who never drove an air-cooled at speed wouldn't have been so lucky.

IMO original parts are always nice to have. When I purchased my 3.6T 22 yers ago I insisted I had to have all the original exhaust and bits. So glad I did as these parts do add value and are next to impossible to find these days with original date stamps.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-28-2024 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 09:52 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cobalt
I second that. We took the GT4 and the 964 aka Sh!tbox to the track this weekend. Surprisingly The Gt4 isn't much faster at NJMP Thunderbolt. After driving both Friday on track I know the GT4 is a much more stable car and has great potential but the 964 was nearly as fast. Pete Tremper was there in his GT4. A prior 964 driver and owns the sister car to the **** Box. Manny Alaban had the third of the trio years ago. A few friends with far more modern cars plus a bunch of club racers in advanced. The best they could do was 2 seconds faster than the 964 on RE71RS's vs their R7 Hoosiers. My son, was I hate to say faster than me and passed nearly everyone in the group in modern Porsche's. On longer tracks no doubt top speed will gain some time but in the turns these are equally as capable when properly setup. All the gained time was in the straights where HP wins.

I walked away thinking how easy and capable the GT4 was but the 964 was so much more engaging and fun to drive. My son agrees. You work twice as hard and there is no room for error but you are driving. Sadly the GT4 lost PSM communication and everything crashed from ABS to sport suspension, traction etc all at once going into the most dangerous turn on the track. I have no issue not having the nannies of the modern cars but when you expect them to be there and they aren't it can get quite scary. Luckily my years of driving the cars without any saved my behind as my instinct quickly took over and saved myself from hitting the wall by reverting back to thinking old school quickly. I think most any modern car drivers who never drove an air-cooled at speed wouldn't have been so lucky.

IMO original parts are always nice to have. When I purchased my 3.6T 22 yers ago I insisted I had to have all the original exhaust and bits. So glad I did as these parts do add value and are next to impossible to find these days with original date stamps.
I accidentally deleted the text that accompanied those pictures, but I confirmed I would be keeping all stock parts(except for the struts and springs as they were replacement Bilstein B6’s anyways). For me, other than a much improved suspension I have still kept the feel and rawness of the 964 in tact. All other modifications have been to preserve the cars current state or protect the touch points from further aging. I can always return to stock and the wheel, shifter, floor mats, handles, lights, and exhaust will all be in a better condition than if I had kept them on.

I get much more joy driving and looking at the car now that it’s exactly how I want it and for me that’s what cars are about - creating enjoyment and excitement.

Recent addition: RUF exhaust tips - my stocks were tired and chipped all to hell.

Last edited by Boosted321; 05-28-2024 at 10:03 AM.
cobalt (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 10:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boosted321
I accidentally deleted the text that accompanied those pictures, but I confirmed I would be keeping all stock parts(except for the struts and springs as they were replacement Bilstein B6’s anyways). For me, other than a much improved suspension I have still kept the feel and rawness of the 964 in tact. All other modifications have been to preserve the cars current state or protect the touch points from further aging. I can always return to stock and the wheel, shifter, floor mats, handles, lights, and exhaust will all be in a better condition than if I had kept them on.

I get much more joy driving and looking at the car now that it’s exactly how I want it and for me that’s what cars are about - creating enjoyment and excitement.

Recent addition: RUF exhaust tips - my stocks were tired and chipped all to hell.
I see you are a brother raptor owner as well.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:13 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Does anyone know if there is a way to grab service records from Porsche? Are they uploaded to a central database by chance? My car was a one owner car and always serviced at the same dealership it was purchased from, but they were acquired by a new dealership and they tell me past records were purged. A recent shot for good measure:

Old 07-12-2024, 12:52 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

My understanding is that there isn't a central database, unfortunately.
How are you liking the Morimoto headlights? Did you get the warm or cool ones?
Old 07-12-2024, 01:05 AM
Boosted321
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spartansix
My understanding is that there isn't a central database, unfortunately.
How are you liking the Morimoto headlights? Did you get the warm or cool ones?
bummer, thanks for the reply.

I love them, actually. I was surprised as I thought they were a little busy from a design perspective upon seeing them online, but in person I actually think they look great. On first sight I was very impressed with the quality and fit of the package. The color of the “wings” inside the housing is a matte grey and blends in more in person. I went with the warm white and didn’t install the halo drl’s to keep it somewhat period. The light output is very very good with a crisp cutoff. They are a pain to adjust as you have to remove the whole assembly to access the adjuster screws, but I barely had to move them from their initial setting and now it’s not an issue. Overall I am very impressed with them and highly recommend if you are ok with the visuals.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

If you would like I can impose on my son to pull what they have for your vin. If it was serviced at the dealer it should be noted along with any open recalls which are still honored. Option codes etc.

Keep us informed about the Morimoto lights. I installed a bunch of their LED's in my pickup and was very happy until a year later when many of the solder joints started to fail and I had to remove and rework some. Another just died yesterday. I am assuming that the headlights are a higher end product and hopefully QC is better.

PM me although it might take a day or two.

Quick Reply: New to me Forest Green 964T