Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo market

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022 | 03:06 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I have a white '91 that has been sitting outside at a local Indy shop for over 4 yrs now. The owner of the shop (who I have known since high school), will NOT release the owners name. Supposedly the owner wanted to hide the car from his divorce' and still owns a few bucks on some repairs,... so it sits. Year after year I say to the Indy "what a shame & the guy should sell",..... I get no reaction from him. Strange that he could care less about such a cool car,.. especially when he gives me such nice compliments on mine. Oh well,... I don't get people,... but whatever. The car needs $100k anyway & I'm too old to start something like that.
Old 12-05-2022 | 04:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Dang, if he was smart he would put a mechanic's lien on it and get himself a free turbo.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
das76 (12-05-2022), Metal Guru (12-06-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 08:41 PM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

Steve, I see you are from the Same area where that car is located. Looks like the owner of that shop is running it through?
Old 12-06-2022 | 09:40 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
That actually looks kinda fun, interiors still widely available right?
New carpets etc / motor and trans rebuild/ pray for no rust?
That's the perfect candidate to be a Turbo S clone, which would require a minimalist interior.
No new interior parts aren't available from Porsche except the plastic console pieces. You would have to recycle what you could from that car or find other second-hand parts. Know that any second-hand interior parts will be pretty beat up after 30 years of use and will require refurbishment. Budget between $15-20K.
Old 12-06-2022 | 10:32 AM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

Paul, It's full of water and has smoke damage on the front bumper. Auction took very shady fogged photos. Missing clock and climate control. Rear seat seat belt bolts have heavy corrosion. When they sit outside they get leaves under the Hood cowl area. That area over flows onto the HVAC suitcase and finds it's way into the interior.
Old 12-06-2022 | 12:43 PM
peterpullin
Racer

found this today. One of three turbo 3.6 prototypes. horrible condition with lots of mods. no word about matching, paint, etc. https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...1652-216-9419?

for a good price this would be a nice find but starting at 255000 this gets an expensive item.

Last edited by peterpullin; 12-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2022 | 03:15 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
Steve, I see you are from the Same area where that car is located. Looks like the owner of that shop is running it through?
Scott, I did not see any link above to the white car you referenced,.. so it did not even occur to me that it could be the same car. If you link me into what you are looking at, maybe I can confirm. I have a few errands tomorrow near where the car has been & I could stop in & see if it's still there.
Old 12-06-2022 | 03:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

hmmm,... well I just went back through my old phone pictures, and found a bunch i took back in August 2019. The one near me has a gray interior & polished center rims.

The VIN # is WP0AA296XMS480269. It's in very rough shape. It had a Naval Academy license plate on it.
Old 12-07-2022 | 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterpullin
found this today. One of three turbo 3.6 prototypes. horrible condition with lots of mods. no word about matching, paint, etc. https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...1652-216-9419?

for a good price this would be a nice find but starting at 255000 this gets an expensive item.
What proof is there it is one of 3, 3.6T prototypes? 385HP? Looks like it has been heavily beaten on and modified.
Old 12-07-2022 | 01:19 PM
peterpullin
Racer

antony, they write they have a porsche certificate that proofs it. this is listed on a private aucti9n site too. in the description they say it is pictured there. i had to register to see this and i am not willing to do so. creates more spam i do not like (-: get enough spam all day ...
Old 12-07-2022 | 03:25 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

More in-depth description of the prototype 3.6 on their website. I translated it from german to english.

https://www.kickdown.com/de/postings...n-8173-neerach

VIN:WP0ZZZ96ZNS470644

Model history:
In 1993, after 15 years of construction, the era of the 3.3-liter boxer engine that served in the 911 Turbo ended at Porsche. It had already been used in the "G-model" and lasted almost the entire construction period of the 964 type. However, the new turbo engine made its debut around six months before its successor was presented. Basically, it was based on the well-known boxer engine of the 911 Carrera 2 and, like this, had a displacement of 3.6 liters. The unit was refined with the "extras" of the previous turbo engine and received the same turbocharger and intercooler. Along with some changes, the power unit reached 360 hp.

General information about the vehicle:
A very special Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 can now be purchased in this auction: this model is a prototype vehicle from Porsche. There were a total of 3 prototype vehicles for the 3.6 liter engine structure which were converted by Porsche - this model from year of construction 1991 with the VIN WP0ZZZ96ZNS470644 being offered here is one of them. After the turbo was produced, this classic was converted by Porsche into a prototype vehicle. This Porsche certificate shows the vehicle's equipment before the company's internal vehicle conversion and, under the code "14861", also proves the status of the 964 as an original prototype. The exact number of holders cannot be determined. According to the seller, 3 owners previously owned the car, with the current owner calling the vehicle his own since December 16, 2005. The original sales contract is also available for this purpose, which can be viewed under the "Documents" folder. The most recently completed TÜV is valid until November 2023.

Exterior colour/paint/body:
In terms of paintwork, this Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 is presented in a classic, sporty black metallic finish: the car still has its first paintwork as measured - which is why, according to the seller, a slight patina can also be seen here and there on the exterior. The original hood was changed to an aluminum hood. The corresponding original is available and is also sold with it. It also shows the measured first coat density. Only the registered GT2 rear spoiler was exchanged over the years for a 964 Turbo S rear wing made of GRP. Further external modifications are not to be found after consultation with the seller. The documentation of the otherwise fully preserved original paintwork can be seen in the picture gallery.

Exterior rims/brakes/chassis:
On the original 5-spoke Porsche alloy wheels, the tires are in a condition of approx. 50-70% raised. The current owner of c.a. 70-90% on. Furthermore, a tuned Porsche 964 Cup chassis including direct Le Mans steering has been installed in the vehicle. According to the seller, there are no inconsistencies here either.

Interior:
The retrofitted Sparco Pro 2000 bucket seats are the first thing you notice in the interior of this Porsche 964 Turbo prototype. Otherwise, the original features of this sports car include a sunroof, central locking, power windows and ABS. All electrical helpers work perfectly and all displays and instruments do their job without any problems. The changes made to the interior can also be seen in the purchase contract dated August 7, 2002.

Mileage:
The current owner of the vehicle bought it in 2005 with a mileage of 42,600 km. 67,000 kilometers can currently be read on the speedometer of this prototype - the authentic mileage of the car can therefore be partially reconstructed via a checkbook. As mentioned, the official exhaust gas document and the purchase contract are also available, which can prove the historical mileage.

Engine:
According to statements from the seller, in addition to the previous information, the engine type designation "M64/50 S" also documents that a 3.6-liter S engine with 385 hp was installed in 1998 - based on the current pictures it can also be confirmed here that an S engine with of the mentioned engine number is installed. This can also be seen from the emissions report from 1998 prepared by the Swiss company Mofag, in which the mileage was only 17,369 km. The individual gears are engaged via a 5-speed manual transmission. . The last service work took place in November 2021. The seller mentions that the vehicle is in technically perfect condition

Underbody:
The current owner states that the underbody of the Porsche 911 Turbo 3.6 is rust-free and unwelded. If the "normal" Turbo 3.6 of the 964 generation is already a rarity, since production was stopped again at the end of 1993, this prototype vehicle offered here at auction represents the "Blue Mauritius" among the Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6, which on the one hand makes it suitable for Porsche is interesting for collectors, but also appeals to lovers of rare prototype vehicles.

Last edited by RapidGT; 12-07-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2022 | 03:38 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

What are the wheels on that "prototype" car?
Old 12-08-2022 | 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterpullin
antony, they write they have a porsche certificate that proofs it. this is listed on a private aucti9n site too. in the description they say it is pictured there. i had to register to see this and i am not willing to do so. creates more spam i do not like (-: get enough spam all day ...
Originally Posted by RapidGT
More in-depth description of the prototype 3.6 on their website. I translated it from german to english.

https://www.kickdown.com/de/postings...n-8173-neerach

VIN:WP0ZZZ96ZNS470644

Model history:
In 1993, after 15 years of construction, the era of the 3.3-liter boxer engine that served in the 911 Turbo ended at Porsche. It had already been used in the "G-model" and lasted almost the entire construction period of the 964 type. However, the new turbo engine made its debut around six months before its successor was presented. Basically, it was based on the well-known boxer engine of the 911 Carrera 2 and, like this, had a displacement of 3.6 liters. The unit was refined with the "extras" of the previous turbo engine and received the same turbocharger and intercooler. Along with some changes, the power unit reached 360 hp.

General information about the vehicle:
A very special Porsche 964 Turbo 3.6 can now be purchased in this auction: this model is a prototype vehicle from Porsche. There were a total of 3 prototype vehicles for the 3.6 liter engine structure which were converted by Porsche - this model from year of construction 1991 with the VIN WP0ZZZ96ZNS470644 being offered here is one of them. After the turbo was produced, this classic was converted by Porsche into a prototype vehicle. This Porsche certificate shows the vehicle's equipment before the company's internal vehicle conversion and, under the code "14861", also proves the status of the 964 as an original prototype. The exact number of holders cannot be determined. According to the seller, 3 owners previously owned the car, with the current owner calling the vehicle his own since December 16, 2005. The original sales contract is also available for this purpose, which can be viewed under the "Documents" folder. The most recently completed TÜV is valid until November 2023.

Engine:
According to statements from the seller, in addition to the previous information, the engine type designation "M64/50 S" also documents that a 3.6-liter S engine with 385 hp was installed in 1998 - based on the current pictures it can also be confirmed here that an S engine with of the mentioned engine number is installed. This can also be seen from the emissions report from 1998 prepared by the Swiss company Mofag, in which the mileage was only 17,369 km. The individual gears are engaged via a 5-speed manual transmission. . The last service work took place in November 2021. The seller mentions that the vehicle is in technically perfect condition

I am not going to log in, and I find it all very fishy. The usual approach as I understand would be that one of the first 60 vins not used (all vin sequences start at 061) would be used as prototypes and not sold to the general public. So they randomly took a vin well before the end of the 3.3l production and convert it? The engine is also an S engine they claim was installed in 1998. All good but it just muddies the waters and why a new engine so soon after being converted?

I would need to see verification from someone at Porsche that this isn't a 3.3 converted to a 3.6S engine. With all the modifications they can claim anything but is it true?

Although stranger things have happened and we all scoffed at the 6 turbo Cabs years ago but they do exist. The info I have says this car was a 3.3L and as far as I am concerned I don't see anything saying otherwise at this time. Although an X88 engine is worth money by itself.

Old 12-08-2022 | 11:41 AM
Scott Dunavant
Banned

Cobalt, I think a friend of mine bought a 3.3 converted to a 3.6 from Powerhaus back in 1998. Is that Pistons, cylinders, Cam journals plus timing chain covers?
I don't know much about he heads.
Old 12-08-2022 | 01:43 PM
peterpullin
Racer

IF the story is true there should be a 3.3 vin. question is if this car was sold after the tests (in factory) with a 3.3 as a standard turbo and was converted later back to 3.6 - or did he factory sell as 3.6. second is somethingvi can not belive.

they had cars named „erprobungsfahrzeuge“. that means some components were mounted for tests. suspension, brakes, engines or parts. but that was no real prototype. most were converted back and sold to dealers or employees.

there is lots of lists, books, knowledge. i hever heard about this 3 prototypes.

Last edited by peterpullin; 12-08-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market