964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

AC Compressor Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:48 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default AC Compressor Question

The clutch on the AC compressor does not turn on with the AC even though the AC was working perfectly. I wanted to test the compressor itself but I cannot figure out how to unpulg it. There looks to be a connection next to the firewall but it does not separate (picture below). I feel pretty bad asking here because I am sure it is simple but I cannot find anything on the net to help me out.

That connection is pretty soft feeling and does not separate
Old 07-30-2019, 05:10 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

That's the connector for the a/c clutch.
Check the fuse for your back-up lights. It's on the same circuit as the a/c clutch.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:53 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I will look into that today. I had a blown fuse for the A/C in the engine compartment (7.5amps) and changed that out. I had the fuel accumulator changed and I personally think they may have damaged an A/C line during the installation. The only reason the clutch would not work is if it has no power, blown fuse, or no refrigerant. I just can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the compressor clutch to test it but I strongly doubt that is the issue.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
That's the connector for the a/c clutch.
Check the fuse for your back-up lights. It's on the same circuit as the a/c clutch.

And this is why I love this forum! Turns out that fuse was blown, just switched it out and presto!!! A/C back to working. Not sure why this happened but you saved me the pain of bringing the car back in. Who would have known? Thank you again.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:58 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

excellent. Great news!

... weird that I just had similar thing happen to me w/ my A/C (late last week),...

for me it was the entire Heating/Cooling dash panel that was not working. Also my fuse. Working great now.

=S
Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Yes, these things are pretty finicky but I am happy to have it resolved. By the way, while I was poking around in there I noticed this bracket with broken clips which is just in front of the fuel accumulator. I am sure this was done during the install but does anyone know the part number? It is the circled gold bracket and you can see a missing clip on the right and the one on the left (middle) is broken.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:54 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

No worries on the last post. I figured it all out and got the part.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

So I'm lead to believe that my compressor clutch is kaput. I have a little more troubleshooting to do before I declare victory and pull put
As for the running issue, my i/c hose slipped off the compressor exducer nozzle and I fixed it yesterday. That's good news as not I'll be able to terrorize Woodward Avenue as it Dream Cruise week starting last night.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 08-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Currently my a/c compressor is not engaging (topped off the system last year and it didn't have a leak then so I doubt it does now). Maybe the compressor clutch is going bad; not sure yet. Also, when I got into the throttle bringing the car home from storage last weekend, it fell flat on it's face. Time to do a little troubleshooting
Yikes.. Good luck buddy
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I recently replaced my compressor with a new Denso unit, and the dryer. Refilled with R12.

Coming back from a drive a few weeks ago and it was about 95F. I had been running AC off n on for about 20 minutes when it decided not to turn back on. An hour or two later in the garage it did come back on. And no problems since - luckily. Been super hot and it’s working great. Weird.

Brandon
’91 Turbo
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
I recently replaced my compressor with a new Denso unit, and the dryer. Refilled with R12.

Coming back from a drive a few weeks ago and it was about 95F. I had been running AC off n on for about 20 minutes when it decided not to turn back on. An hour or two later in the garage it did come back on. And no problems since - luckily. Been super hot and it’s working great. Weird.

Brandon
’91 Turbo
Sounds like the pressure switch shut it off.
You might want to check high side system pressure.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Resistance reading across the compressor clutch coil is 50 ohms. Spec is 3-6 ohms. Also, my back-up lights work (the fuse doesn't blow) if I don't attempt to turn on the a/c. Back-up lights and the a/c relay are the only things on the circuit.
A new clutch is on the way. I should have it installed by the weekend.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:57 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well I have been pretty busy with the Turbo. Took front/rear bumpers off and rocker panels and ordered all new hardware, rubber, etc. Was a relatively painless although time consuming project and still not finished . I got the front and rear bumpers on the car this week and they look fantastic. No more crappy paint and the match is perfect.

HOWEVER! The a/c stopped working again! I drove the car and the entire fan system wasn't working which turned out to be a blown fuse #1. I then checked the fuses for the a/c including backup lights and all are good. Not sure what happened here but any suggestions? Compressor is new and just worked so I am sure it's something simple. Maybe I missed a fuse....Did I mess something up putting the car back together?
Old 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Been very busy with the Turbo as I just took the front'rear bumpers and rocker panels off the car to be repainted and to replace all the rubber and hardware that goes in there. Put the bumpers back on it today and took it for a drive (minus the rockers...more on that later) and the fan/ac system was dead. Checking fuses I found fuse #1 was toast which I replaced and that brought the fans back to life but the ac compressor still won't engage. I checked the backup lights and ac fuse and both are good. Any suggestions? Could I have done something while installing the rear bumper? This is very annoying!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Read this: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...the-story.html

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Question