Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Cheers everyone, officially starting the updates on the 964. I see many work of arts here ( Spyerx's for example) and mine will humbly be much less "***** out" but at least it will be mine (that's how I see it!).

I'm having removed (nope, not a DIY here) the stock drivetrain in these days. Debating if I should send the car to get fixed on the exterior before or after installing coilovers, new engine, transmission, etc. Suggestions? I am more of a get the mechanicals sorted first and then do the exterior type of guy.

Big purchase month coming with a golden rod + RS shifter and all the suspension bits (bump steer kit, camber plates, bushings etc).
Of course I am spending money on stupid stuff like Carbon fiber hood (will be painted slate grey) and fiberglass engine lid...
Old 04-05-2018, 06:02 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Cool! Look forward to the updates. Fellow "Texan" here also. I just picked up a 195k miler myself! Haven't had a chance to make a thread b/c too busy driving it LOL.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:22 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Cool! Look forward to the updates. Fellow "Texan" here also. I just picked up a 195k miler myself! Haven't had a chance to make a thread b/c too busy driving it LOL.
I'm telling ya high mileage aircooled are faster than showroom low mileage ones
Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I'm telling ya high mileage aircooled are faster than showroom low mileage ones
Agreed!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 PM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

There are quite a few of us in Houston. If anyone else is up for it, it’d be cool to meet up with other owners to share experiences with mods, shops, etc. I try and be discriminate about who works on my car, but would love to hear about other local’s experiences.

plus, I’d like to see another slate 964!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Wow you have some incredible upgrades on the way! Definitely have the mechanic take some pictures of the work being done.

As far as paintwork, that’s a tough decision but if funds allow I would definitely go for it.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 04-06-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:49 AM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good stuff... Look forward to reading and seeing the progress of your car. Curious on the dyno numbers of the original motor versus the replacement one.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by jon91581
There are quite a few of us in Houston. If anyone else is up for it, it’d be cool to meet up with other owners to share experiences with mods, shops, etc. I try and be discriminate about who works on my car, but would love to hear about other local’s experiences.

plus, I’d like to see another slate 964!
I’d be interested in this. Provided the weather holds up are you going to the LSRPCA GTG on Saturday? It would be my first one attending as I’m a new owner.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
..Debating if I should send the car to get fixed on the exterior before or after installing coilovers, new engine, transmission, etc. Suggestions? I am more of a get the mechanicals sorted first and then do the exterior type of guy.

Big purchase month coming with a golden rod + RS shifter and all the suspension bits (bump steer kit, camber plates, bushings etc).
Of course I am spending money on stupid stuff like Carbon fiber hood (will be painted slate grey) and fiberglass engine lid...
Unless it's really bad, paint it at the end. One less thing to worry about while you road test and dial-in all the upgrades. It's going to feel like a whole new car.

You're going to be so happy with those suspension and transmission upgrades. My I also suggest the Function First Transmission mount. Cherry on top of all the other upgrades you are making in that area. 60A feels mega, and very livable.
http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Unless it's really bad, paint it at the end. One less thing to worry about while you road test and dial-in all the upgrades. It's going to feel like a whole new car.

You're going to be so happy with those suspension and transmission upgrades. My I also suggest the Function First Transmission mount. Cherry on top of all the other upgrades you are making in that area. 60A feels mega, and very livable.
http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Yeah that's what I am thinking, paint it at the end but knowing me I will paint it in year 2025 as I always prefer to spend money on performance parts than exterior...

I decided against the big reds. I like big brakes (and I cannot lie) but I will not need them and mine being a 92 it already has a good setup. On the other end I have this bad idea of swapping 993 hubs/uprights...
Will this ever end?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:51 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Car ain’t even close to ready but i have plenty of wheels for it...
Old 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

As it turns out - those BBS will go on the 993...

Anyhow May will be an expensive month for buying parts! Maybe I should wait for a sale....?
FD Short Shift Kit FD Short Shift KitRS-Style Shift Rod - The Golden Rod RS-Style Shift Rod - The Golden Rod HD Front Control Arm Bushings (Foreword Position) HD Front Control Arm Bushings (Foreword Position)
HD Front Control Arm Bushing (Rearword Position) HD Front Control Arm Bushing (Rearword Position)RSR-Style Inner Tie Rod RSR-Style Inner Tie Rod
Front Tie Rod w/Bump Steer (pr) Front Tie Rod w/Bump Steer (pr) – THIS IS FOR STOCK 964 UPRIGHTS!!!
964/993 Steering Reinforcement 964/993 Steering Reinforcement
964/993 Steering Rack Bushings 964/993 Steering Rack Bushings
Rennline Front Adjustable Camber Plate Set- Sealed Rennline Front Adjustable Camber Plate Set- Sealed
Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

So what's the update?

BBS sold, re barrelling too involved to re-barrel them even for the 993. The 964 will see a set of RUFs. Still undecided on tires.

Drivetrain:
  • Gearbox *should* be on its way from Holland to Houston. That's the missing part.
  • Engine needs new spark plugs and the hot-wire kit installed + injectors ultrasound cleaned (suggestions?) then it's ready.
  • Thinking to upgrade to the FVD golden rod + short shifter
  • Bought a set of S-CAR-GO like headers and ditched the George's Euro.
  • GT3 muffler will be connected on both openings.

Suspensions:
I don't want to go crazy low and, honestly, I have never messed with height of a car after I installed them on any of my cars.
Looking at the table below I think I will use the eibach springs with Koni I have. The car will be lowered 1.3" front and 1" rear - it should give it the right stance without having to buy Bump Steer kit.
I will however need to buy the tie rods to improve steering feel.

Yes Ohlins are FANTASTIC, so are the Bilsteins but I can spend the dough elsewhere (headers) and still be happy.
  • Need camber plates
  • Nee tie rods
  • A arm bushings (Rubber? Poly?).
  • Have Eibach Sway Bars.

Interior:
Probably just re-upholster a set of Recaro Pole Position to match the OEM blue leather. + Momo steering wheel.

Exterior:
Since the gearbox is not coming for the next 30 days, I will start to take care of the exterior:
  • PDR for the 19 dings she has (lol)
  • Front Carbon fiber hood painted Slate grey
  • Rear fiberglass lid painted Slate grey
  • Fixing some rust
  • Obligatory brake scoops painted Slate grey
  • Thinking about doing plexi rear window since they will need to remove it to fix the rust.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

ha!
Just found out that the engine I bought has 3.8RS cams in it!

question: with those cams, stock injection, chip and hot wire what power should I expect to make at the crank?...
a) 280HP
b) 300
c) 320
Old 07-31-2018, 01:48 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Small updates:

The wedding between the gearbox and the engine will happen in the coming days.
She is finally going to come alive with the new drivetrain hopefully by mid August.

I am not sure if you have been in a similar situation but this is the moment when all the pieces you have been collecting are all coming together AT THE SAME TIME. And it's exciting.

Selling the 993 really motivated me to push things forward though!

Quick Reply: New "Texan" owner of a 150k+ miles 964