Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the lower left stalk do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:01 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What does the lower left stalk do?

Found a 964 I am interested in. It has four steering wheel stalks. Upper right controls windshield wipers. Lower right is cruise control. Upper left is head lights and turn signals.

Lower left... I have no idea and can read all of the lettering in the photo. It looks like it moves in all four directions. One says BC-Menu, One looks to say Funct/Fea and the other two look to say BC/ (unreadable).

Any idea what this stalk is supposed to control?

I tried to cut and past the photo but I fail at computer.

TIA
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the onboard computer on the tach it resets the readouts
Old 04-01-2017, 07:13 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Well alright then. Thank you.

What does the OBC on a 964 cover? Never even knew one was available as an option.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:26 PM
-Teme-
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

It shows:
  • range available with current full level
  • average fuel consumption
  • outside temp
  • trip odometer
  • speed (i.e. digital speedo)
  • average speed
Old 04-02-2017, 06:32 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Thank you Sir.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want to pass on my experience changing out the turn signal stalk on my ‘01 996 coupe. Mine quit self-canceling a couple weeks ago - it turns out it’s fairly distracting and potentially dangerous having to hold the stalk up while turning.

The replacement cost for the part alone is about $450, new, with 2nd-hand ones going for between $100 - $200. I was reluctant to buy a used one, since they either came from cars with as many miles as mine, or more, or didn’t offer that information. The other issue was that my car has a four-stalk unit, and a lot of the ones for sale are usually three. However, I read that it’s easy to take the fourth stalk off a broken unit and add it to a three-stalker. This is bull****. It’s POSSIBLE, but DIFFICULT. Any turn signal unit has a number of brass pins on the right and left side. Those match up with two plastic corresponding parts that have a number of wires going elsewhere in the car. Taking your fourth stalk off isn’t too hard - just two small screws - but there is also a four-bundle group of wires that loop back of the left side plastic thing the stalk unit goes into, and you have to move two OTHER groups of wire bundles out of their little carrier to make room for your fourth-stalk wiring. You also have to unsnap the old wiring in order to connect the wiring from the new unit. Meanwhile everything comes loose, and you have parts hanging this way and that - it really gets dicey, and for a while I was sure I would end up calling for a tow and handing a grand over to the dealer to straighten it all out. By some MIRACLE, I got the pieces aligned and the wires reconnected and got it all put back together... I was pretty sure everything was going to work, but as soon as I started my test drive, I heard and felt some scraping sounds; I did NOT want to hear that - this is steering we’re talking about… so I took it apart again and tried to figure out who was guilty - I’m STILL not sure how I fixed it, but the noise is gone. The only thing I have to fix now is the wheel - despite carefully marking it as I was supposed to, the wheel is on crooked.

I’m not a particularly gifted mechanic, but the business of adding the fourth stalk moves this from a fairly difficult task, I’d say, to one that is NOT easy. Do not buy that crap about “just replacing the fourth stalk”, like it’ll be a breeze. It won’t. PS I really meant to thank the Rennlister who sold me his used stalk (a very reasonable $70, from a 40K mile car) - can’t find his info right now…
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM
Christopher28
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want to pass on my experience changing out the turn signal stalk on my ‘01 996 coupe. Mine quit self-canceling a couple weeks ago - it turns out it’s fairly distracting and potentially dangerous having to hold the stalk up while turning.

The replacement cost for the part alone is about $450, new, with 2nd-hand ones going for between $100 - $200. I was reluctant to buy a used one, since they either came from cars with as many miles as mine, or more, or didn’t offer that information. The other issue was that my car has a four-stalk unit, and a lot of the ones for sale are usually three. However, I read that it’s easy to take the fourth stalk off a broken unit and add it to a three-stalker. This is bull****. It’s POSSIBLE, but DIFFICULT. Any turn signal unit has a number of brass pins on the right and left side. Those match up with two plastic corresponding parts that have a number of wires going elsewhere in the car. Taking your fourth stalk off isn’t too hard - just two small screws - but there is also a four-bundle group of wires that loop back of the left side plastic thing the stalk unit goes into, and you have to move two OTHER groups of wire bundles out of their little carrier to make room for your fourth-stalk wiring. You also have to unsnap the old wiring in order to connect the wiring from the new unit. Meanwhile everything comes loose, and you have parts hanging this way and that - it really gets dicey, and for a while I was sure I would end up calling for a tow and handing a grand over to the dealer to straighten it all out. By some MIRACLE, I got the pieces aligned and the wires reconnected and got it all put back together... I was pretty sure everything was going to work, but as soon as I started my test drive, I heard and felt some scraping sounds; I did NOT want to hear that - this is steering we’re talking about… so I took it apart again and tried to figure out who was guilty - I’m STILL not sure how I fixed it, but the noise is gone. The only thing I have to fix now is the wheel - despite carefully marking it as I was supposed to, the wheel is on crooked.

I’m not a particularly gifted mechanic, but the business of adding the fourth stalk moves this from a fairly difficult task, I’d say, to one that is NOT easy. Do not buy that crap about “just replacing the fourth stalk”, like it’ll be a breeze. It won’t. PS I really meant to thank the Rennlister who sold me his used stalk (a very reasonable $70, from a 40K mile car) - can’t find his info right now…
Old 04-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Buy the correct switch and replace, that's what I did with mine

Replacing your turn signal assembly

Quick Reply: What does the lower left stalk do?