Sponsored by:

Unsolicited offers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
Grocery store parking lot. Told the guy 50K and I'll go do my shopping, if you're still here when I get back we'll talk. Offered me 40 and I said no way.
I never throw out a price because to some people it signals the beginning of negotiations and some people get down right rude if you do not continue the negotiations.

I always reply that it is not for sale period.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:38 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I just tell them, "No reasonable offer accepted."
Old 07-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I just tell them, "No reasonable offer accepted."

I may start using that one! At least then they know the offer will need to be outlandishly high for me to let it go!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:17 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I may start using that one! At least then they know the offer will need to be outlandishly high for me to let it go!
Exactly. Sign says Not for Sale but if someone were to offer me $80,000 I would for sure take time to listen. If they offered me $70,000 I might take some time, depends on what else I have going on at the moment, but I probably wouldn't sell. Yeah, I love this car that much.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Nostrathomas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything has a price. As much as I love my car, if somebody legitimately offered me at least 25% more of replacement value, it would be hard to say no. Half the fun of Porsche ownership is the search for the next one!
Old 07-06-2018, 04:40 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Some on here are quite funny.

Happens a few times a year, both for the 964 and the Cayman R (yesterday for the R BTW).

Anyway, I quickly move to the money side of things every time, with a comment that somewhere around 120k USD (for 964) could get me talking more.

Enthusiasts don't tend to approach me on selling the car, but they may end up saying something like "if you ever...".

I don't have time to waste on deals that may not go anywhere and I don't want to sell the car... put both together and I may come over as a bit rude or arrogant, but life's too short to have meaningless conversations.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I tend to dress like a bum (t-shirts and work out shorts/sneakers even to work) and have people talking to me like $50k could change my life. They're amazed when I laugh at the offer. Had someone who knows where I live insist to come over and take a look at the car and "make an offer I couldn't refuse". I told him that unless it was in the 80s to not even bother. He was amazed. "Tony, I could probably do $60k... you could do a lot with $60k" like I'm some homeless guy. Yeah, I could buy the same car I have (and cross my fingers it doesn't have any hidden issues) and then still be short $10k of what I have into it.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Yeah, I could buy the same car I have (and cross my fingers it doesn't have any hidden issues) and then still be short $10k of what I have into it.
There in lies the real issue with selling these cars. Assuming you love the 964 experience if you sell you will need to find another one which is not an easy task, especially with current market conditions.

Giving up a known entity that has had all of the maintenance done, is cosmetically excellent and has been dead reliable becomes a much bigger deal. There’s no guarantees you’ll find another at the same price or less so there’s that risk. Clearly the opposite is also true, if you get a great offer on a 964 that you’re not totally satisfied with then it’s a no brainer to sell and roll the dice on another one.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Exactly what Marine said and what he quoted from Tony. This is what I experienced when my “unsolicited offer” came from an insurance company. Lots of average cars out there that are way behind the maintenance and mechanical condition of the car I had just lost. Even nice looking cars should have a couple thousand thrown at them to freshen up all the hidden bits. If you have a nice 964, and you’ve taken great care of it, you will be flabbergasted at how much it “could” cost you to get back to the same situation...

Quick Reply: Unsolicited offers