Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsolicited offers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

It has become a real problem. I become worried that someone may carjack me. Some are so aggressive that they block you in your parking spot until you give them contact info (which is always false) or best yet is they chase after you and run out of their car if you get stuck at a light. There was an individual that came to a complete stop on the highway going the opposite direction while I was at a red light honking and screaming at me to give him a price for my turbo. nearly caused a major pileup.

I enjoy driving my cars but this is taking a lot of the fun out of ownership.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM
no_car
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just this weekend i got two unsolicited offers,

saturday - someone knocked on my house door and asked if my car was for sale... which freaked me out a little so i immediately moved the car in the garage

monday - this morning i parked and went into a building and a guy randomly asked me if i want to sell my car., i told him no..

lol next time i should be an *** and say sure 70k takes it lol
Old 02-27-2017, 06:17 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

I also get asked at least 1/3 of the time that I am driving the car.

No one has ever been as aggressive as faced by other posters .... maybe cause I am in Canada.

The popularity and rarity of our 964 does worry me and has caused me to limit the amount of driving I do with the 964.

I've actually had to pick up a BMW 135i as a second summer car.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:58 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also hesitate now to leave my garage door open. I've had people stop in the street and take camera phone pictures.... I need a cardboard cutout of a Doberman to stand next to the car if I ever leave the door open again.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm the guy leaving all the notes .....
Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

I have had the "If you ever want to sell contact me " but it has been people from this forum. It's all good everyone has been real cool about it. Most say you should never sell her but if you do😁 Makes me smile and realize how special these cars are
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Happens from Time to time. I had one guy who was so serious we even went through the process of a ppi, but he bought a 356 carrera 4 cam instead
Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I was driving my pastel yellow 993 coupe in Miami when a 18 year old comes running up to me and starts telling me how cool my 993 is and he had never seen one in that color. That fact that he knew it was a 993 was instant credibility. He went on to say his dad had a green targa he was selling and being that father-son preferred coupes, perhaps we could do some sort of trade. Long story short I bought his father's mint green targa and kept the pastel yellow coupe...until I sold it to a collector in Naples who on the day he purchased it drove up with his mechanic who was visiting from Maine, in a concours late 60's 911 soft window targa in factory color orange.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
I also hesitate now to leave my garage door open. I've had people stop in the street and take camera phone pictures.... I need a cardboard cutout of a Doberman to stand next to the car if I ever leave the door open again.
put the cardboard Doberman directly in front of your license plate!!
... {I hate seeing people taking pics of my license plate. errrrg}

Originally Posted by Turbohead
I am rolling on the floor,... thanks for the laugh Turbohead!!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
I see you haven't lost your sense of humor Elliot. Too funny

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
I was driving my pastel yellow 993 coupe in Miami when a 18 year old comes running up to me and starts telling me how cool my 993 is and he had never seen one in that color. That fact that he knew it was a 993 was instant credibility. He went on to say his dad had a green targa he was selling and being that father-son preferred coupes, perhaps we could do some sort of trade. Long story short I bought his father's mint green targa and kept the pastel yellow coupe...until I sold it to a collector in Naples who on the day he purchased it drove up with his mechanic who was visiting from Maine, in a concours late 60's 911 soft window targa in factory color orange.
Who says that todays youth don't have interest in these cars. It is funny how you couldn't give away a soft window targa for the longest time. Now they are such a rarity and highly desired.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Remember when most porsche enthusiasts thought the 964 was 'ugly' and maintenance heavy? Ugh, those bumpers are ghastly. Don't hear that much anymore.

I've had a few unsolicited offers but they've been light hearted. The last two were more unsolicited recommendations to sell since the classic 911 market was overdone. Just like the unsolicited advice 10 years ago to buy a 993 since the 964 was an unwanted ugly duckling.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:23 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Coming up on 10 years of ownership and haven't been asked once! Maybe it's the perpetual smile on my face that they see that keeps them from asking =;>
I think they can sense I'll never part with it.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-28-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmistry
Remember when most porsche enthusiasts thought the 964 was 'ugly' and maintenance heavy? Ugh, those bumpers are ghastly. Don't hear that much anymore.

I've had a few unsolicited offers but they've been light hearted. The last two were more unsolicited recommendations to sell since the classic 911 market was overdone. Just like the unsolicited advice 10 years ago to buy a 993 since the 964 was an unwanted ugly duckling.
So true. No one wanted these cars during the first five years of my ownership.
It's been so fun watching the 964's rise over the past couple of years.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Invictus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Genuine sparkly-eyed enthusiasm (I was a gawker long before I was an owner) is distinguishable from the sullen inquiries of a parking lot dent repairman with two other men in his minivan, all three of which call themselves "Wally."

The former is always welcome.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Invictus
Genuine sparkly-eyed enthusiasm (I was a gawker long before I was an owner) is distinguishable from the sullen inquiries of a parking lot dent repairman with two other men in his minivan, all three of which call themselves "Wally."

The former is always welcome.
I have owned my 964 for 17 years and 60,000 miles now and not once have I had someone come up to me and say something negative because of the car. I have had many random people come up to me in parking lots and compliment me on the car. Some are current or former 911 owners, but others are just people who think it's a cool car.

My wife calls it the "sausage magnet" because, contrary to the stereotype of Porsches being attractive to women, the people who compliment me on the car are overwhelmingly male. She loves driving it because men (especially construction workers) are uniformly shocked and pleased to see an attractive woman driving an old 911.

The only negativity I have gotten with the car is the miserable emasculated guys driving beat up minivans, who clearly are jealous of my 964 because it looks like a very expensive car and therefore I appear to be part of the hated 1% (they don't know that, in actuality, it cost me less to buy than a new Honda). Those knuckleheads zoom ahead and cut me off on the road or honk their horns if I take more than a nanosecond to get going after a red light turns green. I don't think that negativity is specific to it being a Porsche and imagine that it would be much worse with a Ferrari or other exotic car.

Quick Reply: Unsolicited offers