Sponsored by:

Recaro Pole Positions in 964 - side mounts/slider query

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 12:51 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Recaro Pole Positions in 964 - side mounts/slider query

Question -- When installing current Recaro PP's in a 964, what is the best mounting option? Vendor says PP's are sold with 'Standard Recaro Pole Position Side Mounts (Steel) - 7.28 lbs / 3.3 kg'. Do these let the seats sit pretty low in the car? Or are other mounts better?

And what about sliders? (I do want the seats to slide)... which work well with PP mounts...?

I am 6-2 with normal proportions... I want the seat to sit as low as reasonably possible and still have slider option.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Subscribed. I'd like to run with these PP seats in my 993, but I'm 6'4" and found my helmet hitting the roof of the car when I sat on another 994 equipped with the PP's and sliders...
Old 11-10-2016, 02:22 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Subscribed. I'd like to run with these PP seats in my 993, but I'm 6'4" and found my helmet hitting the roof of the car when I sat on another 994 equipped with the PP's and sliders...
I'm also tall and the only Recaro seating option to get adequate room for a helmet in my sunroof car was to use the brey-krause mount that bolts the seat directly to the floor. Removing the bottom seat padding while at the track is also required.

Mike
Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Bill V tells me you can use the OEM 964 manual rails with the Recaro side mounts. That's my plan, but I'm not tall and I haven't actually gotten around to trying to install them (Recaros sitting in my house for over a year, fail).
Old 11-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If you read the Ninemeister build threads, Colin modifies the floor to lower the seat rail mounts. I think he said they can lower the seat an inch. They also remove the sunroof and weld in a non-sunroof roof. Not sure how far you want to go to get more headroom.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

I see your on the west coast, but call up Stable Energies (in NJ) who are a recaro dealer. they hooked me up with everything for my setup (sliders and mounts). if your on IG you can check out some pics zmon2086

I am 6' and fit fine!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i am not going to track the car so i don't need extra clearance for a helmet - but i don't like sitting way up (to me the right feel of being in a sporty porsche is to feel like u are sitting kinda low in the tub)...

the prior owner of my car said he was 6' tall and when i got into the car when i received it my head was touching the ceiling... so this makes me worried about the mounted heights of PP's if I go in that direction
Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i am not going to track the car so ..
This was my next question for you. At Zmon's advice, I reached out to Stable Energies. According to SE the shoulder harnesses on the pole positions are too low for most guys over 5' 10". They mentioned the Profi SPG, which is a bit taller with higher shoulders. Here's a thread discussing the differences between the two. Looks like the PP's may be out for me, I need the harnesses. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...profi-spg.html
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You can see in my build thread.
Pp seats
Steel stock pp side mounts or the optional aluminum ones which is what I used
Recaro sliders
All works fine
Pain in the *** to install :-) just a lot of drilling in the sliders
You can also use stock Porsche sliders.
Seats sit plenty low
And yes if using with a harness and you're taller than me 5-9 or so you'll need the profi
Old 11-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

DP Motorsport must have been reading y'alls mind. Check their latest update on the bookface.

https://www.facebook.com/Dp-motorspo...0518216293650/
Old 11-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

According to SE the shoulder harnesses on the pole positions are too low for most guys over 5' 10"
Absolutely true

I used Recaro SPG XL because I got a deal and they had the bigger shoulder holes, Sparco seats would be a good alternative as would any of several other vendors that are more user oriented than Recaro.

You can use oe double lock sliders if you can find them at a reasonable cost, Recaro sliders or Sparco sliders, there may be others out there too, every year I see new stuff coming out.

The problem w/ BK sidemounts is the stainless steel they are made out of, very heavy and very difficult to work w/ home tools won't help much at all, I had a full machine shop at my disposal w/ a Bridgeport and full set of tools/bits it was still tough to work w/

I made my first workable set of sidemounts from the steel Recaro items becaus I had a spare set lying around, once I had it all mocked up I duplicated w/ the Aluminum Recaro sidemounts
here' the final package, GT3 sub mount bar, RS tunnel side mount for 3 pts, Rs 3mm leveling washers match the 3mm sub mount ends and the 3mm RS 3pt mounting tab, Recaro sliders, button head bolts to get the seat as low as possible. I still needed to do a sunroofectomy

There are some attractive alternatives, Southbound Fitters has a set of aluminum sidemounts w/ the tunnel side 3pt bung welded in to it, i believe that 9M uses these often.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Attaching a link here to one of Bill V's old posts on Pelican. Some really great information here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...aro-seats.html

Quick Reply: Recaro Pole Positions in 964 - side mounts/slider query