Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those darned distributor cap screws...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those darned distributor cap screws...

I am having a bear of time getting the distributor cap screws off, and I'm getting real close to stripping the heads. By looking at the replacement caps I have purchased I see that it does little good to spray down the screw heads with WD-40, or such, because the actual threads are where the cap meets the distributor.

Does anyone have any suggestions for loosening up these screws? Actually, suggestions in general for loosening up tight screws might be an interesting topic.

If I do end up stripping the heads, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to remove a stripped screw, there seem to be a few products out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 10-22-2003, 03:18 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a 'vise grip' with small mouth. Clamp it very tight and make turns from 1/2 every time.
WwD40 is not strong enough for such a jov, get some stronger rust solver. Some from Wurt will help.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:45 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Small impact driver may help - though not sure if there is enough access to use one on hte distributor.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:20 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff,

Check out these 2 threads from the 993 board. Might give you some pointers, but the way this guy writes, it is worth the read even if only for the entertainment.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=83469
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=83643

Good luck,
Tom
Old 10-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

The proper screwdriver that fits perfectly into the screw head is essential.
It's a mid to small range phillips. Fit it to see just which one from your toolbox is the correct one.
A little graphite grease will ease the task next time around.
Loosening the one screw nearest the fender is a bear. Just make certain that the bit fits and try the vice grips on the screwdriver handle while keeping it centered in the screw head.
I had the same problem first time out with this job. Previous service had really tightened them down.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Stephen Grellet
Intermediate

I have heard a little valve grinding paste in the head of the screw will increase the friction. I haven't tried it myself but it may be worth a try.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:23 PM
911kid
Rennlist Member

For removing stripped screws Sears sell a kit called "Screw-Out" which consists of a set of three different size bits. Just attach one to an electric drill or a 1/4" hand drill. The bit is designed to bite into the head when the drill is in reverse so it will back the screw out. The Craftsman part no. is 52154.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'm going to tackle it again on Friday. I'll let you know what works, hopefully I won't have such a 'bozo' tale for you (however entertaining it may be...).

Jeff
Old 10-25-2003, 01:26 AM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Success!

I used several techniques described including turn clockwise first to break the torque and the screwdriver-visegrip combo.

I also bought a product at Sears called Grip Dr. (or something like that) which is a stange concoction that you put a couple of drops in the screw head and it seems to bind the screw to the driver. This worked great on two screws with a socket driver screw put on the third one I endded up breaking the screw-socket and a piece of the driver was stuck in the screw head. So it took a few minutes to dig that out.

Now on with the show and performing a valve adjustment and finding all those oil leaks, I know I have corrosion around some oil lines, so this will be interesting.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Jeff

PS- The contacts in the distributor cap had basically burned though, that's not bad is it?

Quick Reply: Those darned distributor cap screws...