964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mcm
The engine looks relatively clean as I dismantle it. So far a lot of the oil seems to be from the breather.
Blow-by past the rings?

Originally Posted by John McM
Valve covers off. I’m thinking this engine has never been worked on, except for valve adjustments.
Somebody used yamabond(?) on the valve cover gaskets and (not surprisingly) it looks like it leaked?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
What's the story with the 'ramp' you have under your 964? Does it mask a small lift, or is it just for a bit of extra clearance?
He has a scissor lift under the car. Not enough clearance to drive over it otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (03-17-2024)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Super90
He has a scissor lift under the car. Not enough clearance to drive over it otherwise.
Correct. It’s my favourite tool in the garage. I wouldn’t be without a lift now.
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (03-17-2024)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Blow-by past the rings? Somebody used yamabond(?) on the valve cover gaskets and (not surprisingly) it looks like it leaked?
Could well be blow-by. We will find out as I go deeper in the engine.

Yes, it looks like Yamabond. It’s layered on the left hand timing cover as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Could well be blow-by. We will find out as I go deeper in the engine.

Yes, it looks like Yamabond. It’s layered on the left hand timing cover as well.
That's messy. I can well imagine, that was done with the hope it was just the timing cover leaking, and, maybe it was. But as we know, ultimately, it's all those timing box seals that are compromised.
Any evidence of other leaks there? Or, at the piston cylinder to case junctions? Just curious.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Super90
That's messy. I can well imagine, that was done with the hope it was just the timing cover leaking, and, maybe it was. But as we know, ultimately, it's all those timing box seals that are compromised.
Any evidence of other leaks there? Or, at the piston cylinder to case junctions? Just curious.
The piston cylinder to base joins could be leaking but with so much oil on top it’s difficult to tell. The cylinder head join wasn’t leaking.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

RMS is dry, clutch plate is new but there are signs of someone slipping the clutch in the past
Old 05-15-2018, 03:57 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. It’s my favourite tool in the garage. I wouldn’t be without a lift now.
I keep talking myself into/out of a lift. Seems nice, but not sure if it's worth the hassle for me without the benefits of a full 2 post lift. Looks great though!
Old 05-15-2018, 04:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
I keep talking myself into/out of a lift. Seems nice, but not sure if it's worth the hassle for me without the benefits of a full 2 post lift. Looks great though!
For the DIY garage I think these are better than a 2 post lift. They can be used in a typical New Zealand domestic garage height, don’t restrict parking due to posts and there’s not one single task I can’t do with one e.g. I have dropped the engine/gearbox on my own with this lift. The only thing I would do if I had the chance would be to recess the lift into the garage floor.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

For the DIY garage I think these are better than a 2 post lift. They can be used in a typical New Zealand domestic garage height, don’t restrict parking due to posts and there’s not one single task I can’t do with one e.g. I have dropped the engine/gearbox on my own with this lift. The only thing I would do if I had the chance would be to recess the lift into the garage floor.
Agreed !!! I debated getting mine for soooo long. Now, like so many things, I wonder why I waited.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ten tappets out, and two have minor pitting. One camshaft out and it looks perfect. The camshaft still to come out has a very pitted lobe. Not sure why.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Second camshaft out of the engine. It’s so frustrating to have just one lobe pitted as badly as this is. So close to perfect. The good news is that the cylinder honing is still clear and the head looks good.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I can’t believe how smoothly this is going. With a concerted push I’ve progressed to splitting the case.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:23 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the head studs all come out smoothly? This appears to be going very quickly, great stuff.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ffc
Did the head studs all come out smoothly? This appears to be going very quickly, great stuff.
The studs are on the other side of the case. We’re undecided whether we will replace them or not. I’m hoping we will as I’ve never done that part of a rebuild.

As for speed, the figures I have seen indicate that an engine rebuild is 60 hours labour when the engine needs to be removed and refitted in the car. So it’s between 42 and 45 hours of labour to dismantle, clean and reassemble an engine.

My first rebuild was slow because I wasn’t sure how things came apart and was constantly off to the tool shop looking for items e.g. 10mm sockets with a thin wall to take the chain retainer cover off. This time I knew what the sequence was, I had the tools and the various bolts, nuts and connectors didn’t put up a fight. It also helped that the engine owner had removed the exhaust system and headers as that can be time consuming, requiring heat to remove nuts.

Given that the time component of a rebuild is fairly constant, I’m going to document the parts cost with this rebuild so that there is a data point for others to view. I have a degree of sympathy for mechanics where someone goes in and says I won’t pay any more than $X because that’s what is reasonable based on what it cost Y. No two rebuilds are exactly the same and there are ways to save money e.g. don’t replace rod bolts, bearings, chain guides and chains, which are crazy in the long term but you could get away with it if just flicking the car after the build.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb