Sponsored by:

Black Ice, Spin, and Splash

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Black Ice, Spin, and Splash

Last Friday I was heading to the movies with my boys. It was raining and cold. Traveling slowly, on snow tires, in my C4 we encountered black ice on a bend in the road about a mile from my house. The back end came around, I turned in, realized I could'nt "catch it", and put "both feet in" to ride out the spin. Turning in changed the trajectory of the car and we slid off the pavement. I felt the slick, light feel of the grass, then a moment of weightlessness, and splashed into a pond. We ended up pointing in our original direction of travel. Fortunately we went in tail first with the nose coming around as we entered the water. Had the nose been further around I suspect we would have rolled.

As the water seeped in and I evaluated whether to make use of the still functioning electrics to open the windows, or wait to conserve air, I realized that the car was sinking back-end, and driver's side first. I could see water at my window, but the passenger side was higher. I told my son, who was in the front passenger seat, to open the door. He put his shoulder into it and managed to get it to open up. As the water rushed in the door flung outwards and I instructed the boys to get out. Aidan stepped out and I pulled the passenger seat forward to help Seamus out from the back seat. I love that Porsche put seat release levers on both sides of the seat backs. I then climbed over the console and out. We were all out and safe in seconds. In the end the car had settled just a few feet off shore in about three feet of water, though it rose half way up the steering wheel.

Thankfully, no one was hurt. We were all belted in, and traveling slowly, so no bumps or bruises at all. I can't tell you how thankfull I am that my boys are okay. I re-live that moment of realization that my boys were trapped in a sinking car over and over. It has obliterated any concern for the car, which I'm confident is Totaled.

I've not been an active member here for some time, but this community has been instrumental in the management, maintenance, and repair of the car I've been driving daily, in all kinds of weather here in NY, for over nine years. Thank you.

At this point I'm realizing that I have a bit of a struggle ahead of me with regard to the insurance settlement, as I've seen others on this board suffer a similar fate. The Kelly Blue Book puts the value of my car at about a quarter of what I'm now seeing them valued at.

If anyone here can offer any guidance, or input on how best to document the true value of the car, and how to work with the insurace company for an equitable settlement I'll be very grateful.

The car is a 1991 C4, Polar Silver, with 125k miles. It is mechanically immaculate. Cosmetically, the interior is in excellent condition, though the exterior shows its use as a daily driver.

Thanks very much,
Dave

Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Crazy story. I'm glad you and your family made it out safe.

Member Yahoo recently fought the insurance for a fair settlement on a totaled 964 however the other driver was at fault, so he wasn't fighting his own insurance company.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man, what a story. So sorry for the situation. No advice to give except for empathy.

Keep the tub alive!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a shame Sorry to hear that.

Good that nobody got hurt
Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Ho God ....scary moment , great to hear you are all well , shame for the car but it's just a piece of steel ....
Good luck with the insurance
Old 12-09-2014, 03:05 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear your family is safe and sound.......what an extremely scary situation.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Dave,
Wow, my heart sank when I saw your thread title... then it sank some more when I read your post. What a nightmare. So glad everyone was alright and got out of the car calmly.

Please let me know the next time you come back to Chapel Hill/RTP.
Best,
Udo
Old 12-09-2014, 03:28 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

What a terrifying experience and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we're very glad you and boys are safe and uninjured.

Best of luck with getting everything sorted out.
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Dave - Glad you and the boys are ok. Good luck with the insurance companies and repairs.

Note: I have my cab rear ended on the highway in the summer. I was fortunate to get the car to a good shop (very familiar with 911s). 3 1/2 months later and its all back together. For what its worth, the cost to the other driver's insurance was on the order of $14K. You can read more about it here.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a horror story. I'm so relieved you ended up in only three feet of water and your boys are safe. Once the dust has settled you could maybe buy the car off the insurance company and have a project with your boys.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A frightening story! So glad you and your brood made it out OK. Good luck with the insurance man.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wikkid911
What a horror story. I'm so relieved you ended up in only three feet of water and your boys are safe. Once the dust has settled you could maybe buy the car off the insurance company and have a project with your boys.
Wow - very scary story but glad everyone's OK. I hit some black ice last year while cornering down a hill, then nailed a power pole. Bought car back from insurance company, and I second what Wikkid911 said if you're up to the challenge! PM me if you want any info on what my insurer did. Essentially they took an average of three similar-condition 964's that were for sale at the time (of course prices are way up so you should be hopefully taken care of...).
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow what a scary experience. The post traumatic stress from an accident is an unpleasant experience.

Glad to hear you and your boys walked out unscathed.

Cars are replaceable, people aren't. It sounds like you were spontaneously pragmatic - hats off.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 PM
mkd944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that you and your boys were unharmed. Sorry about your car. You can provide the insurance company with comparable 964 sales info such as those found on Rennlist here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/marketpl...min-max/f10-1/

Also, I have found this valuation tool from Hagerty seems to provide higher prices than NADA or other sites. There is also a place to look at comparable cars at the link but you will need to create a user account to use that feature. Check it out here:
https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo.../VehicleSearch

Good luck,
Mike
Old 12-09-2014, 09:45 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BLACK-BETTY;
Glad to hear you and your boys walked out unscathed.

Cars are replaceable, people aren't. It sounds like you were spontaneously pragmatic - hats off.[/QUOTE]

^Ditto!

As Vandit mentioned above I recently went a few rounds with an insurance company until they offered a fair settlement in today's market. I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number to discuss my insights.

So glad you all are ok and that you had great instincts.

Quick Reply: Black Ice, Spin, and Splash