964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014 | 03:04 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Left front wishbone reinstalled with new Powerflex bushes. Rob at CCS said it might be pretty hard to get the bushes compressed enough to push into the wishbone holder but gentle encouragement with my plastic faced hammer did the job nicely. Note more kitty litter appearing under the car. This was from removing the LH guard liners. That **** got everywhere. When she's running again I'm going to have to go for a long drive on a very wet day to give her a good wash underneath.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:19 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Solving the age old problem of the tacky looking saggy engine insulation with a nice strip of 40x3mm aluminium. Following the technique I read about on another RL thread, I made a cardboard template, removed the button shaped nuts and positioned the cardboard template then pressed upwards on each bolt shaft to pierce the cardboard. Then I placed the template on the aluminium strip, drilled through the hole marks in the template. Next followed with I guess a 10mm bit to allow the shafts of the button nuts to go through the aluminium strip, cut off the excess length, and used the grinder to round off the ends and smooth off the holes. It ended up being around 750mm long and I avoided curving it around at the ends as that looked like it would be a mission and looked tidy enough at each side.

I was going to paint it black but it looked nice in shiny aluminium so it went in as is.

The whole exercise only took about 40 minutes and was very straight forward, highly recommended. Grove Mitre 10 in Onehunga had a reasonably large range of aluminium flats, angled and tubing in 1m and 2m lengths for a reasonable price.

Sorry, this photo is a bit out of focus, but it is now too dark to take another photo at the moment.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:25 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Lastly, took a panorama photo of the garage... Makes it looks a lot bigger than it really is but I'm pretty lucky with the lighting and space.

I've contemplated giving it a thorough tidy up... Especially the work bench, but it's much more satisfying working on Lola's ressurection.

I looked again at the job of removing the guards but it looks like a mission and I feel it would be better left to Steve's boys where they can lay out all the many bits and pieces mounted in the guards ready for reinstallation.

It doesn't cease to amaze me how much stuff the Porsche engineers cram into the guards.... No space is wasted, and the left one looks a real mission with the gas filler, overflow, windscreen washer filler, bottle, aircon condenser, radiator, fan all squashed in.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:30 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug you replacing those piston seals while you are in there?
Nah, discussed with Dean and Steve and consensus is the seals are all good. Rears are fairly new and if the fronts let go in future I'll fully upgrade the callipers at the time.
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Garage shot looks great!

Are you going to spray paint the repaired under bumper piece flat black to hide the repair?

The alloy retainer for the engine padding came out well Doug....

It's all coming along nicely. Before you know it it will be shipped to Steve and comfort back like new!
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:54 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Wow - loads of room! You could be building a couple of cars in there :-)
Well done for taking a lot of the work on yourself. I'm sure you'd be fine removing the guards (/wings). If in doubt, take a series of photos as you dismantle it. You can't hurt anything. The beauty of forums like this is that there's a host of people to assist should you get stuck.
Old 10-04-2014 | 03:59 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Started looking at the interior and tasks to be done. Weighing up considerations such hot rodding her vs keeping her original. Because she's NZ new C2 manual, becoming rarer by the day I'm going to keep the central console original instead of doing something similar to Robt964. However, thinking hard about Rothsport's billet aluminium shifter and putting the original one with all the other original parts back in the attic.

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Tr...et-Shifter.htm
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014 | 04:11 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Garage shot looks great! Are you going to spray paint the repaired under bumper piece flat black to hide the repair? The alloy retainer for the engine padding came out well Doug.... It's all coming along nicely. Before you know it it will be shipped to Steve and comfort back like new!
Yes, where possible I'd like to put things back looking fresher than they were before Macca.

Originally Posted by robt964
Wow - loads of room! You could be building a couple of cars in there :-) Well done for taking a lot of the work on yourself. I'm sure you'd be fine removing the guards (/wings). If in doubt, take a series of photos as you dismantle it. You can't hurt anything. The beauty of forums like this is that there's a host of people to assist should you get stuck.
Yeah, a few of us Kiwis read your rebuild thread in amazement at how much you were able to do in such a tiny amount of space. We tend to live in houses on large 600-900 sq metre sections here so having a large garage is pretty easy. Most of us have two and a half bays in our garages. I designed mine to take a 6.4 metre boat on its trailer so it is 7.4 metres long. The boat only lived here for a couple of years and I'm left with a brilliant garage space. I can fit three cars in it (tightly) plus have a large work bench. You could really knock yourself out in it :-P
Old 10-04-2014 | 04:56 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Ha thanks
My wife and I spent almost 7 weeks touring around both the North and South island 3 years back. We totally fell in love with the place. Yep, really nice plot sizes and mind blowing scenery right on your doorstep! We made a pledge one evening over a bottle of wine and green mussels that at some point in our life we *really* should live here :-)
Old 10-04-2014 | 05:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

What a small world. Earlier this year a friend (John McM) and I did a trip our 964s from Auckland to Cape Reinga (the top of NZ) as a 1,000 km shakedown before heading South. We were joined by a bunch of other Porsche nuts who belong to our Rennsport Gruppe in the South Island. We crossed the Southern Alps in all three passes before making our way to Bluff (the southern-most part of NZ). On the return we all did 4 track days, one at each of the 4 South Island tracks. By the time I got home a few weeks later I'd done about 7,500 glorious kilometers. It was heaps of fun. Planning another more cruisy South Island trip for 2 weeks over easter next year. Here's a taste if anyone's interested.... http://www.hanna.net.nz/2014/03/the-...-josef-to.html
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014 | 05:54 AM
Pel
Pro

Great thread Doug, watching with interest!
Old 10-04-2014 | 06:40 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Great progress Doug. Pleased the oil cooler worked out for you and looking forward to seeing her back out soon. Got an estimate of completion date?
Old 10-04-2014 | 06:59 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Hi Jason, Your oil cooler worked out well thank you. I still have your RSG T shirts so let me know when you are heading back home.

Completion date is highly dependent on Steve getting Dave's car body shop work complete as I'm next. However, I'm happy at the moment having her in my garage as there are quite a few bits and pieces that I can do which all saves cost in the long run. TBH I'm enjoying the project.

85,000 homes in Auckland without power due to a fire that they've been fighting since 2:15am (now 11am) so we are without power. Bloody cold stormy weather too. May not be much progress today.
Old 10-05-2014 | 02:46 AM
O2GO
Drifting

With us and 85,000 other households without power today I decided to do a big tidy up of he garage. Bought and installed more shelving and you can now see my bench top and I have somewhere to organise all the little piles of parts that were on the garage floor.

Looking for ideas on how to elegantly fix the centre console switches which have had their latching brackets broken in the past. They're loose and rattle about.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2014 | 06:29 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Originally Posted by robt964
Ha thanks
My wife and I spent almost 7 weeks touring around both the North and South island 3 years back. We totally fell in love with the place. Yep, really nice plot sizes and mind blowing scenery right on your doorstep! We made a pledge one evening over a bottle of wine and green mussels that at some point in our life we *really* should live here :-)
Careful... If you move here, you'll need to plan track days between all of the roadtrips! As Doug shows, you can combine both quite nicely!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident