964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014 | 05:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Not really, just that I like the idea of two pot mix having more strength and Steve's recommendation based on his positive experience using this paint on race car callipers. He said that as long as you don't leave brake fluid on the paint when bleeding, it doesn't discolour with intense heat and lasts really well. That's good enough for me and after the prep - the hard bit - I want it to last well.
Old 09-26-2014 | 06:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug. Nice rack!
Good to know there is a local shop to do this when inevitably the time will come for my 993...

FYI. I had my 993 calliper done 2 pack by Haslers in 2005 and can vouch for the durability of the finish - they looked perfect paint wise after much abuse right until the day they were removed from the car. Wish I could say the factory Brembo big brake replacements were finished that well and have a reputation for paint durability but they dont - have no idea why the Bembo factory used a substandard paint system for so many decades (964, 994 & 996 gen).

Its great you are getting so involved with your car. I know it was forced upon you but your are rapidly becoming the biggest DYI in our group and its also a great way for you to get Lola back on the road without breaking the bank!
Old 09-26-2014 | 05:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Macca. It's turned around from a hassle to a fun project where I am learning heaps. The guys in the local shop are very experienced. Wayne has been doing this for 40 years and his offsider, who was camera shy, for 24 years. However business is slow as modern cars power steering systems pretty much never give trouble and the lack of crapped out Japanese imports coming into the market mean they've gone from a staff of 7 down to 2. So, they may not be around in the future unless they find another supplementary neich.

John, I will show up sometime soon and pick up those decals, thank you.
Old 09-26-2014 | 10:09 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Time to reinstall the steering rack. Given how tricky it was to uninstall I am not looking forward to this.

Lola before getting her out ready for the reinstall....
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014 | 10:12 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Turned out easier than I expected. Lining up the steering wheel shaft was a doodle. The only really tricky bit was reattaching the copper washer onto the top oil line after it dropped off in my face. This too 20 minutes and in the end I borrowed some of Jan's old tweezers and used them with a vice grip to successfully get the little bu99er back on the bolt. Might keep them in my tool box now :-)
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014 | 10:15 PM
O2GO
Drifting

All finished. Took a good two hours. An expert would do it in 40 minutes I reckon, but pretty satisfied compared with the mission to uninstall it. The key is to remove the housing that the rack goes through on the driver's side. It is easy to uninstall when in my position and the Wishbone isn't installed, but otherwise it might be more challenging.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014 | 10:17 PM
O2GO
Drifting

And here's the stuff I needed to do the job. The jack is just there as a safety measure should she drop off a jack stand.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014 | 10:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Fascinating Doug. What is your plan. Are you trying to get it basically all mechanically completed for Steve to then pull out the front, replace the panels and then paint it?
Old 09-26-2014 | 11:07 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Looking good bud.

Have you thought of getting a mid rise scissor lift. Would make the job a whole lot easier and useful for any car. If you know someone in the trade you can pick them up for around $1400 wholesale.

I appreciate you've got some significant costs ahead of you but surely the missus is looking for that special something you've always wanted for xmas
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2014 | 12:58 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Macca, I'm waiting for dear Dave's car to leave Steve's panel shop so I can then get in. So, inthe mean time, I'm getting as much of the mechanical stuff done as I can so that this is out of the way. Depending on how long she is with me before the panel work I hope to get some fruit added too. I published a list a page or two back on this thread.

Robt964's 964 Refurb thread has been an inspiration. I'd love to end up with this...
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2014 | 01:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jamie a lift like that would sure be awesome. Frankly I don't want to be spending that much time under my car - ha ha.

Decided to remove the left wishbone and change out the bushes for the new Powerflex ones but it looks like I'll need to get help from CCS to press out the old ones. I can't budge them with my basic tools.

Truth be told.... I'm procrastinating on doing the paint prepare work on the calipers. It's pretty ugly.

Also, Steve suggested I do the long slow job of removing the front guards. You need to scrape/cut/wrangle with the under seal gunk with a heat gun to get at the seam and remove all the bolts. It would save some panel shop cost. However, this is my leisure time and I figure I'll try to keep it to "nice" jobs until I run out of things to do.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2014 | 01:06 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Every time something is taken off or moved, there's another shower of kitty litter :-(
Old 09-27-2014 | 01:16 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Doug I saw your list and read all of Robt964s resto.

Very talented chap doing all of that out of a garage you cant swing a cat in. I like his interior very understated and tasteful. If I owned your car it would have black leather (not vinyl like Robt964 car) and alacantera inset Recaro Pole Positions, RS door cars, Momo wheel, the Rennline shifter and a liquid metal silver (looks like real steel from half a meter) painted Heigo half cage. I would mount my harness via eyelets on the rear deck like most 964 guys do instead of ordering the Heigo with a harness bar as I prefer the look and extra access to stash bags behind the cage. Id remove the rear seat backs.

I think that all the interior needs personally.

Jamie's idea of a scissor lift is a seriously good one. If you sent halves with John its $700 a head and you could share it as I believe eventually he has intentions of spending more time under the car as well.
Old 09-27-2014 | 01:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug I saw your list and read all of Robt964s resto. Very talented chap doing all of that out of a garage you cant swing a cat in. I like his interior very understated and tasteful. If I owned your car it would have black leather (not vinyl like Robt964 car) and alacantera inset Recaro Pole Positions, RS door cars, Momo wheel, the Rennline shifter and a liquid metal silver (looks like real steel from half a meter) painted Heigo half cage. I would mount my harness via eyelets on the rear deck like most 964 guys do instead of ordering the Heigo with a harness bar as I prefer the look and extra access to stash bags behind the cage. Id remove the rear seat backs. I think that all the interior needs personally. Jamie's idea of a scissor lift is a seriously good one. If you sent halves with John its $700 a head and you could share it as I believe eventually he has intentions of spending more time under the car as well.
I have toyed with the idea of a scissor lift, as I do want to spanner more on my own cars, but the reality is I have a lot of competing priorities and can't consecrate the amount of time I'd need to make it worthwhile, right now.
Old 09-27-2014 | 01:40 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Its not about time "under the car" But elevating the car to a workable height... and that will vary depending on what you are doing. Very worthwhile investment IMO.

Just removing all for wheels for example... break the nuts, pop it up an each and then remove the wheels. Helps your back too so you're not always bending etc.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 964 Lola after my accident